Chalkhill Blue aberration

Discussion forum for sightings.
millerd

Chalkhill Blue aberration

Post by millerd »

There are probably more listed aberrations for this species than any other - the Victorians were a bit obsessive about the Chalkhill Blue, and there are a myriad of subtle differences described. :)

Nevertheless, this distinctly different individual turned up at Box Hill (Dukes) this afternoon. With such strong sunshine hardly any of the species were opening up at all, but as luck would have it this particular male bucked the trend and showed off a bit. The underside was not strikingly unusual...
ChBab2 210720.JPG
...but the top certainly was.
ChBab1 210720.JPG
ChBab3 210720.JPG
ChBab4 210720.JPG
ChBab5 210720.JPG
A normal ChB male for comparison.
ChB1 210720.JPG
Does anyone recognise it and have a name to hand? :)

Cheers,

Dave
Pauline

Re: Chalkhill Blue aberration

Post by Pauline »

I don't know how you do it Dave! I don't have a name for it - tho' I am sure someone will. It is very pretty nevertheless :)
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

What an absolute Cracker Dave ! you,ve really got your eye in for abberations this year .......................Nice One !!
How about AB;Fowleri or Punctata- Margino
Just a thought . Regards Allan.W.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Complete luck, Pauline! It just appeared in front of me and opened up... :) Yes, an attractive variation too.

Thank you, and for your thoughts on what it might be called, Allan - looking at the "British Butterfly Aberrations" site, ab. fowleri looks closest. However, like a lot of abs, it's nearly, but not quite like the pinned example.

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I reckon a combination of fowleri + ultramelaina. Very eyecatching whatever it's classified as :D
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Sightings”