Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Allan, I remember last year when my Daughter and I went to a place you told us about but seemingly we ended up on the top of the hill instead of below it and my daughter didn't like the Sheer drop, :D You told me after there was a way in on the lower level and you'd give me directions next time I was in Kent, :?: Do you remember :?: I can't think what the place was called :oops:
so much as happened in-between :roll: If you recall the place can you let me Know Please :D Goldie :D

Hi! David, it was, except for the wind, we don't seem to be able to get rid of it before it's back again :roll: I'm hoping the next week or two in Kent will be better still for the Butterflies :D Goldie :D
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie,
As you know Goldie, Lydden / Temple Ewell ,covers a very large area ,and the Lydden reserve (proper),the old Kent trust reserve, is quite some distance from the car park at Temple Ewell (TR 287 444 APX ) . The Temple Ewell area ,would be closer for you ,from the car park ,and Chalkhills
should be flying there in good numbers .
From the car park , go through the corner kissing gate ,by the information board ,and follow the path up to a small wooded picnic area ,turn left,
you,ll come out in an open area (popular with dog walkers !) ,follow the track up to the right ,until you come to another gate ,don,t go through it ,but follow the wooded path ,to the left ,you,ll hit another gate (at TR 286 446 APX ) ,and you,re on Temple Ewell downland ,the lower slope ,to the left of the gate is generally
a good area,but to be honest ,they should be about ,anywhere there . I hope this is of some use .
If there are more accessible ways in ,I don,t know them . Years ago you used to be able to park right outside the old Lydden reserve ,accessed along an old rough track ,but that's been closed for many years . Good Luck !
PS; If I were you I,d have a look on Google earth ,and locate the area on an ordnance survey map.
Regards Allan.W.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Again Goldie , Ignore the above post ,as you,ll probably think its Gobbledegook!!
Its just dawned on me ,that you were talking about the Devils Kneading trough at Wye(Brook area) ,and entering the site from the lower rd,
another site which has a good colony of Chalkhills ,haven,t been there ,for a couple of months ,but anyway ,the grid ref ,for the very small car park is
at TR 0749(5)451 ,don,t worry about the double wooden gates ,they are never used .park carefully, go through the gate ,and follow the path up and around ,on your right you will see a gate ,go through ,and follow the path ,as you walk keep your eyes peeled, to the left Chalkhills ,Common Blues
are often here ,and also earlier in the year Green Hairstreaks and Dingy Skippers , keep walking (200m ish) through another gate ,and that will take you to the lower area of the Kneading trough , the Downland on the right hand side is good for Chalkhills and all of the normal expected butterflies,
a bit later Adonis are found (bit early for 2nd brood ) and earlier in the year a few Duke of Burgandys show .
As I,ve said I haven,t been since mid- May so may be a little overgrown.
If you,re feeling adventurous ,keep walking along the base of the Kneading trough ,and follow the path up to where you took your picture last year
take plenty to drink !
Good Luck ! Regards Allan.W.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Allan, many thanks for your info, now I've to persuade my Daughter to go there :D

I've not done too badly since I arrived, but on the way down it was a bit precarious, we stopped at a Service Station on the Toll road thinking there wouldn't be many people there, mistake! it was packed, we were in and out right a way, a part from that the Journey was okay.

My Daughter has moved house and lives nearer to the beech now and also nearer to East Blean woods :D So yesterday we decided to go there in the afternoon, it was nearer and less tiring after the journey.
The afternoon was cloudy at times and when we got there the gates were shut so we found a spot on the road has did quite a few car's.
At first we saw nothing and I was thinking I'd missed every thing, then the Sun shone on this corner of the woods and it suddenly came a live :D I looked for Purple HS but didn't see any, I did see the White Admiral but it didn't settle how ever a Silver Washed Frit did, my first in EBW's I was well pleased and when I spotted the Heath Frit's, I couldn't believe my luck :D
Also that morning whilst walking the dog I saw my elusive Holly Blue. :D A pretty good haul for my first day out :D Goldie :D
Attachments
AECFD7ED-3033-4D29-944E-CFD7A0D2A1A4.jpeg
DE9084F1-C607-4734-8779-A3135C45FFB8_1_201_a.jpeg
D671FB45-48F4-48D6-BAAD-D055C2DBCAA2.jpeg
7B9DFBC0-F97E-4509-AB48-690A72BC24F2.jpeg
C75B6D25-4048-49E9-B90C-3346FADF212D.jpeg
F08541E7-97E4-4FE3-BE69-C33ED6B347A4.jpeg
DF1FDF2B-52C3-48C9-972A-E29B5B55D807.jpeg
DDD8F623-6C4E-4CEC-89E0-CBF9AED042BB.jpeg
BBFF12B1-543A-4950-9C33-D83DDBF0364A.jpeg
72ED4B0E-B260-4127-A0D1-BD1878E50055.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Well done with the Fritillaries, Goldie! :) The Heath Frits look surprisingly fresh and I'd never expected to have seen them flying alongside the Silver-washed. That sounds like a great day to start off your stay in Kent, and there's a spell of mostly decent weather coming up too. :)

Have a great time,

Dave
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Goldie - Love the Heath Frits. Not a species I have seen unfortunately - we don't get them here in Hampshire to my knowledge.

Also - I only found out yesterday that they are going to re-introduce European Bison to Blean Woods. Yes BISON! Apparently they have not roamed Britain since prehistoric times. Four are going to be released in Spring 2022. Don't worry though, they are said to be "peaceful" animals.
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely cracking find that Heath Frit Goldie - like Dave says in good nick too, I missed out on this specie this year as I'm trying to stay a bit more local :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Great to see your butterfly break starting so well - looking forward to find out what you find next :D 8)

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Glad you got down there okay, Goldie, and I'm delighted to see you caught up with Heath Fritillary, a species you've no chance of seeing up north.

Best of luck for the rest of your stay.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks everybody for your post's, :D
Hi! Dave, I was amazed when the fritillaries appeared We'd walked past the area before and seen nothing but it was cloudy , then the Sun appeared and so did the butterflies, lovely surprise :D

Hi! ernie, I can't see letting huge animals into the wood will do it much good especially for the Heath Frits who's flowers like the lower ground , I can see them getting trampled, any way what do i know , :roll: I wouldn't fancy meeting one gentle or not :D

Hi! Wurzel, The Heath's were really fresh, I was really surprised, I was more surprised when I saw the Silver Washed Fritillary amongst them :D wait until you see what I saw next :D

Thank's David, it was a really good day :D it just shows doesn't it when you think some things have finished they can surprise you. :D

Today was another surprising day :D we decided to go to Seasalter where I'd seen Clouded Yellow before and we'd only been there about 15min's when two flew passed and one of them settled onto what I think is Red Clover, I'd seen them before making for this flower but they'd never stayed long enough before flying off.
I think because a lot of plants were dried up and not many were there they stayed longer and I managed some shots. :D
I can't believe my luck so far this trip, only my second day, let's hope it keeps going :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
F69FF889-8621-45F7-9C21-4AEB44DA8A58_1_201_a.jpeg
0018D7CC-5BAE-4B92-8C2A-1A51C256205E_1_201_a.jpeg
C9F2F2DD-86AE-4976-86C7-FC992A9AB22B_1_201_a.jpeg
03CB1C7A-6882-4958-86B3-D7B6E2B3F3C9_1_201_a.jpeg
8A7BF3E0-A338-43ED-B64A-DB4BA4D3417F_1_201_a.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wow that is a very yellow Clouded Yellow - I personally have never seen one that was that yellow :shock: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Great to see your break is going so well Goldie :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Well done with that stunning Clouded Yellow, Goldie. :) :mrgreen: They can be difficult to get shots of at the best of times. It looks very fresh, so I wonder if it was part of a local emergence rather than an immigrant. I hope we get a few more! Kent is doing you proud at the moment. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

We were very lucky Wurzel with this one, I managed to get pretty close, ( for once ) :D My other shots of one when I've been to Seasalter haven't been too good , the Butterfly would land then take off again quickly, this one stayed on the plant and when the Sun caught it, it was out standing :D

Many thanks Dave, I'm not too sure about a local emergence Dave, there's a sign post there telling you what can be seen, the Clouded Yellow was on this last time I looked, every time I've been here in Kent I've gone to Seasalter and seen the Butterfly there, it's the first time it's actually stayed still for shot's though :D also the grasses and wild flowers were pretty dried up so it didn't have a lot of choice, I know with going there it likes this particular plant, I waited beside it just in case one came along, :D my luck was in :D

Seasalter for those who've never been, as the Sea to one side and a path that runs along the top of a huge dip , at the bottom of the dip there's another path which runs all the way along side the Dip and this is where the Clouded Yellow flies, it's sheltered from the Sea and catches the Sun, to the side of this path it's all Marsh land which seems to suit the Cloudy as it often takes off quickly some times into the marsh before returning, I don't always get a shot of one but they're always seen. :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I thought I'd put a few shot's in my post of a Red Admiral that seems to have taken residence in my Daughter's garden :D
it's there every day and seems to enjoy the washing pegs :D

Also on her roof the Sea Gulls have a nest and the young one's are getting ready to fly, trouble is every time we take the dog out we're targets because of the dog, poor Toby, they swooped down nearly hitting him every time, yet they don't bother him in the back garden.!!! So much for living near the sea, :lol:

My Daughter's only been in the House since May and it's my first visit, but I like it :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
3076F886-38FC-4A04-A04D-188FE140A251.jpeg
1457A617-048B-416B-9E0E-09A3B0E06B52.jpeg
936A34AB-F306-4CBC-BDA3-B5FCEA2B6D3C.jpeg
0D726F75-6BC4-47C2-A82E-5910073F3EC9.jpeg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm so pleased you're having a lovely time M. - you really deserve it. I shouldn't worry about the Bison - they were on Countryfile the other night (along with the Heath Fritillary which seems quite a success story) and they look lovely. Great shots of the Clouded Yellow btw :)
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, I hope your right, cow's and large animals are not my thing :D I was chased when young going through a field of cow's and only just managed to duck under a fence, they had young calf's so I suppose that's why. :D

Yes I'm certainly having a great time, :D all my Grand Children came to see me on Saturday and we sent out for Chinese, it's like being let out of Jail :lol: and I've certainly been lucky with Butterflies up to now. :D

With it being so hot and bright I changed my camera down to a lower point of Darkness, it's certainly pleased me up to now, it's cut a lot of the brightness down and given me a better shot of the subject, in this case the Cloudy :D

i was wondering if the Brown Hair Streak is any where near us in Kent or do we have to Travel a long way to see it, that's of course if it's out sooner while I'm here :?: I'd better get going we're on the move again :lol: Goldie :D
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

I've just seen your Clouded Yellow pics. I was stunned by how vivid they were, especially picture number 2. Its not just the depth of yellow but how dark the spots are and how dark the ring on the hindwing is. I was so taken aback I went through all of my own past pics of this species and none came close. Then I looked on the internet and again, only a couple seemed to capture it.

Dave was probably right - it may have been a local.
Ernie F
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Don't you worry about updating your diary whilst you're away M. Just focus on the butterflies and enjoying yourself. You'll be so far behind when you get back that you'll be able to give Wurzel a run for his money! (only teasing Wurzel :wink: :D ).
millerd

Post by millerd »

Hi Goldie - unfortunately I don't think there are Brown Hairstreaks anywhere near you in Kent, Allan W. may be able to advise you better.

It's particularly interesting for me to read about your adventures in Seasalter. When I was a kid, my grandparents lived in Swalecliffe and when we stayed, we often went along the coast to Seasalter for the day. I can even remember seeing (and I'm ashamed to say, catching... :( ) Clouded Yellows there. This would have been the early sixties... :) A long time ago now.

Looking forward to more of the joys of butterflying in Kent!

Cheers,

Dave
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie,
Pleased to see you,re doing well in Kent ,and well done with the Heath Frits ,and the Cloudy in particular ,two species I,ve missed (well the Heaths
anyway ) so far.
As for Brown Hairstreaks ,being back in Kent …………….They are but some distance from where you are ,there is a thread on page 2 of the "sightings"
thread ,started and added to by mainly "Greenie " and others .Not been there myself as yet (they,ve been seen for around 3 seasons now ),
they,re close to the Surrey border and the mainland Glanville site ,Hutchinsons bank.
The thread heading is "Brown Hairstreak back in Kent "
Regards Allan.W.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Treat those Gulls with caution Goldie. especially if one of the young
is in the garden at the same time as you, the adults will dive bomb.

Years ago I was on holiday in Newquay with some friends, and we found
a baby Gull trapped in someone's garage. As I emerged from the garage
with the young bird I was immediately attacked, and it came back for more.
Herring Gulls are big birds!.

Enjoy the butterflies in Kent, and stay well,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”