Otep's Debut Season Challenges

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
bugboy

Re: Otep's Debut Season Challenges

Post by bugboy »

Otep wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:24 am
Wings shut whilst resting was an oddity for me too. Speckled Woods in South Derbyshire always sit with wings open. I have seen countless and not once have I encountered one wings shut.
Speckled Wood don't like hot weather and do a lot of temperature regulating when it gets too warm like recent days, ither sticking to the shade or closing up shop to prevent over heating. They'll also angle themselves when at rest so they are facing directly in line with the sun rather than side-on, again to prevent over heating. it's all very clever, if probably more instinctual than anything. :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

bugboy wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:08 am
Otep wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:24 am
Wings shut whilst resting was an oddity for me too. Speckled Woods in South Derbyshire always sit with wings open. I have seen countless and not once have I encountered one wings shut.
Speckled Wood don't like hot weather and do a lot of temperature regulating when it gets too warm like recent days, ither sticking to the shade or closing up shop to prevent over heating. They'll also angle themselves when at rest so they are facing directly in line with the sun rather than side-on, again to prevent over heating. it's all very clever, if probably more instinctual than anything. :)
Thank you for that additional bit of learning Bugboy. I am grateful to you for writing that. I enjoy being on this learning curve.
David M

Post by David M »

Most UK butterflies are easy to identify, Otep, and for those that aren't, it's simply a question of getting your eye in.

This time next year you'll be wondering why you had difficulties with certain species.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

David M wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:33 pm Most UK butterflies are easy to identify, Otep, and for those that aren't, it's simply a question of getting your eye in.

This time next year you'll be wondering why you had difficulties with certain species.
Funny enough I had that exact thought on Friday David. That is uncanny. It was almost word for word what went through my head.

Earlier in the week I thought to myself that someone wrote months ago that I needed to just be out in the field and to watch and learn. Those were very wise words. Weather and work permitting I have done just that. Making the effort to see them as often as possible has been excellent for my learning. I wondered if I would be as thrilled at seeing and identifying a Meadow Brown next year as I was this year.

Watching their behavours and their unique personalities has been absolutely fascinating too. I have seen a butterfly species that is always in such a hurry to get somewhere (Brimstone), two butterfly species that are so possessive about very small bits of territory (Peacock and Speckled Wood), a butterfly species that is always up for a fight (Dingy Skipper) and a butterfly species that often seems inquisitive about me and my presence and circles me to see what I am and what I am doing (Red Admiral).
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Otep, you sound like your hooked like the rest of us already :lol:
I sounded just like you when I started to be interested in Butterflies :D you'll find advice and help on UKB like I did , when I think of some of the things I did at first, it makes me blush now :oops: trouble is I'm still learning :D Goldie :D
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Yes Goldie, I am hooked. Everyone here is so knowledgeable and friendly and the old adage that there is no such thing as a stupid question prevails.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

For the sake of my photo album, please could someone tell me if this is a Small or a Large Skipper. If someone tells me that it is actually an Essex I don't know if I could cope with knowing that the site has all 3 there.

zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

I'm going Small Skipper, Otep.

Not seeing the checkerboard effect to make it Large.

Don't think you've quite got the right view of the inside of the antennae pads to say if it's an Essex.

Looking more head-on and slightly from below (if I can) is what I find best - having said that I've a lot of such pictures of Small Skips and they are all Small Skips......in that the inside "pad" at the end of the antennae is always yellow or brown, like this one.

I've not found any with inky-black ones - when I do, I'll be straight on here to get a positive ID !

A lot of the experienced people on here can also tell the difference just from the sex brand in males. .... I certainly couldn't, so I'm continuing to get up close and personal with a lot of Small Skippers until I find one that isn't a Small Skipper.
Attachments
DSC00900 (3).JPG
David M

Post by David M »

I'm convinced it's a Small Skipper, Otep. When you actually see the antennal tips of Essex, there can be absolutely no doubt; they are a real inky black.
BarrieS

Post by BarrieS »

Really pleased to read you enjoyed such a productive day in Worcestershire. Your words convey your excitement in seeing those species that were new to you and which you were able to identify. You'll enjoy many more exciting finds and identification challenges in the coming weeks, months and years. It's something we've all experienced and continue to enjoy. I agree with the other comments regarding Essex Skippers in that you'll see several Small Skippers you think are Essex, but once you finally see one you'll be in no doubt - the underside of the antennal tip will be black and noticeably so. I'm looking forward to reading your next instalment.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Thank you Zigzag, David and Barrie. Your words / photos are extremely helpful as ever.

Yes, the day in Worcestershire was absolutely fanastic and I would go again today had the weather been suitable.

I note that you are in Staffordshire Barrie. I live on the borders of East Staffordshire. Recognising Staffordshire is a large county, are there any must visit places in the county?
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Otep,

Essex Skippers are actually quite easy to identify if you see them settled. But you’ve got to look at them from the front, so you can get a good head-on view. Then the black tips to the antennae become obvious.

In Essex, these Skippers are found in grassland almost everywhere, but in other places they seem to be found in just a few sites. So , if you don’t find them in Staffordshire this year, a trip south next July might be worthwhile!

Good luck!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Here’s an Essex Skipper picture I took last week, near my house. Hope it helps!
Attachments
23FFC731-919D-44B1-A764-39EED7DFE1CD.jpeg
BarrieS

Post by BarrieS »

That's a really good example to show that key feature Mark. I would doubt they are out yet on the Derbys/Staffs border though we Otep and I live.

Otep, we live just inside Staffs on the north edge of BOT and we would tend to go into Derbyshire for the more localised species as the information provided by the Recorder is first class. In Staffs there are Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries on Cannock Chase in the Sherbrook Valley near the Stepping Stones. Information boards have been placed near the locations. That site is also particularly good for Green Hairstreaks from mid- April, when on the right day they can be abundant The 'Chase can get busy though. Just outside Staffs, in Shropshire, is Prees Heath, a BC Reserve which is brilliant for Silver-studded Blues, which should be flying now. Definitely worth a visit.
Looking forward for reading about your latest challenges.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Otep,

I don't know if you already have the 'Butterflies of the West Midlands' book...

https://www.nhbs.com/butterflies-of-the ... SsQAvD_BwE

...but if not I would heartily recommend it.

Regarding Essex Skipper, they are well distributed in Staffordshire and the West Midlands in general now and indeed on some sites they can now outnumber Small Skippers. I am in Warwickshire and they are all over the place here these days.
You need to get a view of the underside of the antennae tips to be sure of the ID. Unfortunately many Small Skippers show black at the ends of the antennae on top which can make things confusing but in these cases it is not the clear cut 'dipped in ink' look of Essex Skippers.
Males are easier due to the short straight sex brand as opposed to a thicker curved one of Small Skippers.

Cheers,

Neil.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

BarrieS wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 am That's a really good example to show that key feature Mark. I would doubt they are out yet on the Derbys/Staffs border though we Otep and I live.

Otep, we live just inside Staffs on the north edge of BOT and we would tend to go into Derbyshire for the more localised species as the information provided by the Recorder is first class. In Staffs there are Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries on Cannock Chase in the Sherbrook Valley near the Stepping Stones. Information boards have been placed near the locations. That site is also particularly good for Green Hairstreaks from mid- April, when on the right day they can be abundant The 'Chase can get busy though. Just outside Staffs, in Shropshire, is Prees Heath, a BC Reserve which is brilliant for Silver-studded Blues, which should be flying now. Definitely worth a visit.
Looking forward for reading about your latest challenges.
Neil Freeman wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:57 am Hi Otep,

I don't know if you already have the 'Butterflies of the West Midlands' book...

https://www.nhbs.com/butterflies-of-the ... SsQAvD_BwE

...but if not I would heartily recommend it.

Regarding Essex Skipper, they are well distributed in Staffordshire and the West Midlands in general now and indeed on some sites they can now outnumber Small Skippers. I am in Warwickshire and they are all over the place here these days.
You need to get a view of the underside of the antennae tips to be sure of the ID. Unfortunately many Small Skippers show black at the ends of the antennae on top which can make things confusing but in these cases it is not the clear cut 'dipped in ink' look of Essex Skippers.
Males are easier due to the short straight sex brand as opposed to a thicker curved one of Small Skippers.

Cheers,

Neil.
Thank you Barrie and thank you Neil for your extremely helpful responses and the trouble that you have gone to there. It is much appreciated. Apologies for belatedly expressing my gratitude. A combination of the rotten recent weather and a torrid time at work has kept me away from butterflies and the forum for a while.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Words of wisdom expressed on this forum a month or so ago rang in my ears yesterday as I studied a Skipper closely and felt that surge of excitement as I started to think that it might be an Essex Skipper. 'You will definitely know when you have seen an Essex Skipper by their dipped in black ink antennae' were those words I recalled.

Look at how black the antennae are here!

Please tell me this is an Essex Skipper so that I can duly celebrate!

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Unfortunately with that one you have the upperside of a female so with non of the ID features on show you'll be hard pushed getting further than calling it a SmEssex Skipper :? .
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Thanks Bugboy. Celebratory lemonade on hold then for now. :lol:

Return to “Identification”