David M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: David M

Post by essexbuzzard »

Agreed. Excellent images of the Large Heaths. It’s been a few years since I’ve seen this species, and I won’t see them this year either. Living over there has it’s advantages,

Glad you are getting about, David. Thanks for sharing, you get one of these :mrgreen:
trevor

Post by trevor »

Your last image of the Large Heath is the best I've ever seen of this species. :mrgreen:
A perfect pose with no clutter in the way, which is so often the case with this species.

They would be a lifer for me.

Great stuff,
Trevor.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Excellent photos David and a very informative, educational narrative too. Whilst I have only seen 20 species of butterfly to date I have been forming in my mind a character assessment of those species that are more difficult and more easy to get acquainted with.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, all. I must say this is one of the most neglected species in the UK, which is a shame because it is extremely attractive, in spite of its frustrating behaviour and, of course, its preferred habitat, which isn't for the faint hearted.

It's also one I don't get to see in Europe so every now and then I feel the need to go and reacquaint myself with it, and pleased to say this time I did better with it than ever I have previously (though that's not saying much). :)
kevling

Post by kevling »

Cracking photos of the Large Heath's David. This is one of the few remaining British species on my unseen list. I never get the chance to travel far in June as my leave falls each side in tune with the school holidays. After next year that will not be a problem anymore so I will fill my boots :lol:

Kind Regards
Kev
David M

Post by David M »

Thank you, Kev. I presume the magic word 'retirement' is in your mind? :)

If you get chance to travel next year, Whixhall is swarming with this species so you definitely won't draw a blank!

Friday 19th June 2020 – Evening opportunity….

A necessary trip to Berkhamsted gave me an opportunity to sneak into Bernwood Forest for an hour or so at around 6pm.

The sky was largely cloudy but I figured a few sunny intervals would be all it would take for the meadows to come alive.

By 6.15 the sun emerged and the grasses came alive with Meadow Browns, Large and Small Skippers, and my first Marbled Whites of the year. In fact, there were so many it was tricky to choose an individual to track. I eventually opted for this one:
1MWups(1).jpg
1MWuns(1)(1).jpg
Just prior to leaving, one butterfly caught my eye, being dull in colour but only half the size of a Meadow Brown. I nonchalantly walked towards it and suddenly realised it was a Black Hairstreak, a species I thought had finished for the year.

It flew up into the blackthorn and I was unable to locate it, making me angry that I hadn’t pursued it more slowly when it was on the ground.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A nice session with the Large Heaths David, they can certainly be a frustrating butterfly for photography.
David M wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:32 pm ...I must say this is one of the most neglected species in the UK...
Not sure about that, I usually see a lot of Large Heath photos on social media posted by enthusiasts from the midlands and further north, most of whom never post on UKB.

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Good to hear others are paying attention to this beautiful species, Neil. It really is an extremely attractive little butterfly.

Saturday 20th June 2020 – Morning after….

It was cloudy this morning, but I fancied paying another visit to Bernwood on the off chance that things might brighten up. It was dull for much of the time first thing:
1Bernwood(2).jpg
Things DID improve though, and the rides came alive with Meadow Browns, Marbled Whites and Skippers whenever the sun broke through for a few minutes.

At other times, it was the sort of warm, humid and cloudy conditions that make butterflies do strange things, i.e. stop flying and remain perched immobile with wings fully spread to absorb maximum warmth.

The grassy ride edges were absolutely full of Large Skippers doing just that, awaiting their next opportunity to fly. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many; certainly more than 200.
1LgeSkmalefem(2).jpg
I also saw plenty of Ringlets, a first for me this year:
1Ringletups(1).jpg
1Ringletuns(2).jpg
About a dozen Silver Washed Fritillaries were seen in the sunnier intervals:
1SWFups(1).jpg
1SWFuns(1).jpg
Two White Admirals were also seen in the wooded area by the car park. Both made things difficult with their propensity to perch in the trees. This was the best I could do with this particular specimen with a hefty chunk missing from the forewing:
1WAups(1).jpg
1WAuns(1).jpg
It was nice to see a few Commas again:
1Comma(2).jpg
A couple of Common Blues were seen in the meadows, along with a solitary White Admiral, but the best moment came when I spotted another Black Hairstreak, proving that the previous evening’s sighting was not a figment of my imagination:
1BlackHstk(1)(1).jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the Marbled White David, and the Skippers and Large Heath, Chester Zoo has helped bring some Large Heath to Lancashire, near Wigan , it's all new at present but it'll be great if they can get them to breed there, it's only down the road from me, next year should be interesting :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Goldie. Yes, I've heard about the Large Heath reintroduction. Hopefully it will be a success and give you a new species to see locally very soon.

Wednesday 24th June – Daneway….

Few things are finer in life than rising early in the morning on a glorious midsummer’s day. However, even finer perhaps is arriving at Daneway Banks at 7.50am and finding you practically have the place to yourself.

The reduced footfall is possibly due to the problems the site was suffering in early June because of the extended spell of hot, dry weather, which obviously had an adverse effect on much of the habitat.

Thankfully, things have recovered somewhat following the wet spell from 3rd June onwards, and whilst the sward is noticeably shorter than usual, it still looks in reasonable shape:
1Daneway(1).jpg
I wasn’t sure how many Large Blues would be around, but I needn’t have worried; I saw 31 in total in just two and a half hours, which is the most I’ve ever seen here, and the early start meant several of them were resting with wings open:
1LB4A(1).jpg
1LBups1(1).jpg
1LBups3(1).jpg
1LBups5(1).jpg
This female was particularly accommodating as she pottered around the marjoram on an egg laying run:
1LBuns(1).jpg
1LBunsups(1).jpg
I was also fortunate to find this mating pair:
1LBpair2(1).jpg
There were frequent jousts, with this one seeing three Large Blues chase one another:
1LBx3(1).jpg
Plenty of other butterflies around too, with Marbled Whites and Meadow Browns in the hundreds, lots of Large & Small Skippers, a few vanessids and a couple of Dark Green Fritillaries.

I reckon there’s still a couple of weeks worth of Large Blue activity here, so anyone wanting to visit should do so as soon as they can.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some cracking Large Blue action there David, great shots :mrgreen: :D

Daneway was quite busy in early June from what I saw on social media with a lot of photos posted in the first two weeks. Apparently the site didn't suffer as badly from the dry spring as Collard Hill did.

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Yes, I heard Collard had suffered quite badly in comparison, Neil. I think it helps that Daneway has plenty of tree/shrub cover to prevent slippage on the banks in heavy rain as well as providing some extra protection from the strong sun during hot spells.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Some fine pictures there, David. Just shows the virtues of getting up early in mid-summer!

Must have been a fantastic morning.
David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:24 pm Some fine pictures there, David. Just shows the virtues of getting up early in mid-summer!

Must have been a fantastic morning.
Sure was, Mark. Best of the year so far. :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

Very nice Large Blue shots, David. :) Interesting to see one laying on marjoram instead of thyme - I imagine its flowering this year is a bit earlier than usual. I'm also distinctly envious of the shot of the mating pair - one I still lack in my collection. :) :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:55 pm...Very nice Large Blue shots, David. :) Interesting to see one laying on marjoram instead of thyme
Thanks, Dave. From what the ranger told me, this is very much the norm rather than the exception.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the Large Blue David, they're doing well, lets hope the Large Heath introduction in Lancashire is also a success :D
Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Goldie. Fingers crossed!

Thursday 25th June – Fermyn….

Been 5 years since I saw a Purple Emperor, and that’s way too long. Normally, I’m in Europe during their flight season but with trips abroad still off the menu I thought I’d make the most of my time here to visit Fermyn Woods to hopefully catch up with this iconic species.

The roads were quiet and I arrived just prior to half past seven, which gave me an opportunity to observe a few relatively docile White Admirals before it started to warm up appreciably.
1WAups(1).jpg
1WAuns(1).jpg
I kept walking between the main ride by Fermyn’s westerly entrance and a cleared area of woodland in the part on the opposite side of the road:
1Fermynride(1).jpg
1Fermynotherside(1).jpg
Just two were seen, which was a little disappointing. The first was doing what everyone has commented on so far this year – flying low to the track, occasionally circling you only to then retreat back to the tree canopy.

The second, however, was on the ground on the main track, feasting as per usual on something unpleasant:
1PEuns(1).jpg
Remembering Neil Hulme’s advice from a few years back, I first tried to shade it, but when this didn’t work (by 10.20am it was already about 24c) I then grabbed a nearby grass stem and delicately ‘tickled’ the Emperor’s hindwings which, thankfully, had the desired result:
1PEups(1).jpg
I spent a good half hour watching it as it flew up and down this ride, settling whenever it latched on to the scent of something rotten.
Plenty of other butterflies in the wood, with Silver Washed fritillaries and White Admirals both putting on a good show.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

That's a neat trick, David. I must remember to tickle Purple Emperors myself. Could be the start of a whole new hobby. :D
Ernie F
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Good decision. Well done! :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”