virtually N Greece Day 6

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
sifenn

virtually N Greece Day 6

Post by sifenn »

On my June 2019 trip to N Greece, having enjoyed Day 4 trip to Kapnofyto, I decided to head there again, make some different stops in the valley en route, and explore more around the farmland surrounding the village. I alluded to it in day 1, but every day I was seeing hundreds, if not thousands of Painted Ladies on the move, and mostly my brain just learned to filter them out, so apologies due to V. cardui.
First stop in a large open field with many wildflowers and tall thistles – I was keen to see a Festoon, and I’d seen photos of them favouring thistles. First though I was looking at coppers, blues and skippers, with this female Sooty Copper posing agreeably, and nearby a mating pair

Then a male Lesser Fiery Copper ?

A couple of Marbled Skippers, flocciferus and/or orientalis ?

I couldn’t resist including this lovely fresh Ilex Hairstreak

And the best shot I managed of the highly mobile Southern White Admirals

Arriving in the village, the abandoned orchard beckoned me, with the same panoply of Swallowtails, Large Tortoiseshells, Cardinals and a mating pair of Great Banded Grayling

I carried on through the village and followed a minor road signposted to Lailas, my day 3 destination – this had abundant wildflowers in the low boundaries to fields, and many smaller species. This blue sat up nicely but is it Idas or Silver-studded ?; the latter I know well from Prees In Shropshire.

As the road ascended I spotted this perching Clouded Yellow; I assume it’s the helice form ?

And many Graylings were skittering across the road surface that seemed made of crushed marble and made a tricky back drop in the bright conditions

I came across a small lake/reservoir where I saw the first Black-veined whites of my trip, this one seemingly oblivious to the holly leaves

Coming back to the village I spied an Anomolous Blue taking salts, and since my previous offering seemed very popular, here it is

A final look around the orchard, and this Swallowtail was too good to miss

Sadly no Festoons sighted

Back at the guesthouse another storm swept across the lake and made it feel much cooler and fresher; one more day to go – where to go ?
David M

Re: virtually N Greece Day 6

Post by David M »

Intoxicating, sifenn. What a wonderful part of Europe.
sifenn

Post by sifenn »

thanks David M, it was a great place to visit
in contrast I am off to catch a glimpse of White-letter Hairstreaks in elms that fringe the car park of a well known supermarket....
sifenn

Post by sifenn »

as part of my daily exercise by bike....

Return to “Overseas”