Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Goldie M

Post by Wurzel »

Love the final shot Goldie :D Looks like Large Skippers know how to Social Distance :wink: I wish they could pass on some instructions to some of the muppets down my way :roll:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Glad to see you managed to see some butterflies Goldie :D

Nothing flying here for the past couple of days, really dull, cold, wet and windy. I know we needed the rain but we have gone from one extreme to the other.

Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Getting two Large Skippers in one shot is quite an achievement, Goldie! :) They usually chase each other madly around if they get that close. Some good variety there - your butterflies were just waiting for a bit of sunshine! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! essex, we do seem to be behind up here, the weather since June came in as been rough, when I got back home today, I was amazed, I'd only been in the house a short time when I once more, heard the rain and wind really strong, I hope your right about next week :D hope fully Brockholes CP should be open later in June if things keep going well, that should be okay for the WLH's then. :D

Hi! Wurzel, It's not been too bad passing people here I try to get a walk in when I think the dog walkers have been out. :D I've only been to the shop's a couple of times, I'm in the ancient category :lol: My friend brings my shopping, she's been great.
My Daughter rang last night, I'll be going to Kent shortly, she's a teacher and I'll wait until the school Holidays s start before going down , she's coming up for me, boy! am I looking forward to going. :D

Hi! Neil, we've been out of Butterflies for quite a while, it's been great to actually see some, I think I got spoiled in May in the Garden with the Butterflies and lovely weather, it was a shock not seeing any for so long, the weather's been bad since June came in here, when dry it's been really cold and everybody's fed up of the wind and rain now :roll: Hope there's nicer weather on the way :D

Thanks Dave, I think they were too cold to move and were just soaking up the Sun :lol: The wind was really strong I'd my hooded Jacket on but I was ready for some fresh air and exercise, I didn't really think the Butterflies would be out so it was a surprise when I saw them, I hope some more species arrive and better weather :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:42 pm...My Daughter rang last night, I'll be going to Kent shortly, she's a teacher and I'll wait until the school Holidays s start before going down , she's coming up for me, boy! am I looking forward to going.
I'll bet you are, Goldie. Time you had a bit of good fortune for a change. I hope you will be able to get out as often as possible and see plenty of butterflies.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for your post David, it will be great to see them again, roll on! :D

Today was a lovely warm day, I got the washing on the line and decided to go to Hall-Lee-Brook again, I'm glad I did, I finally saw the Meadow Brown :lol: It's not a Butterfly that I take many shots of but at HLB in the past they've cut the grass in the Meadow just as the MB has appeared and it's not done the species a lot of good, so I was pleased to see the start of them, I just hope they don't come and cut the grass. :roll: But it wouldn't surprise me if they did. :roll: I saw only three MB's.

I also saw six Small Tort's and numerous Large Skippers so things are beginning to move, I've never seen a Small Heath at HLB which always seem's strange when I know their in some local areas, I'll keep looking you never know :D Goldie :D
Attachments
5A69B30B-2F77-463C-BC51-26E0471F0645.jpeg
0B1476EF-B4F5-4D44-890E-B5DE345A9660_1_201_a.jpeg
B5B06FDE-8F8F-4CF0-AEBA-AE1022DC18D4_1_201_a.jpeg
7FA769EA-0EA4-4F4F-9FB0-C3F16717A1F0_1_201_a.jpeg
5F8F0FA8-411C-4154-98F9-6774630371C7_1_201_a.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Glad that you managed to get out and enjoy the butterflies Goldie :D Great shots, particularly like the Small Tort :D

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Delighted for you, Goldie. Always good to get out after a spell of poor weather.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Looks like the mornings are going to be best this week Goldie, so get early if you can. Good to see the Meadow Browns have started.

It’s a shame about the grass cut, but don’t get me started on that. Imagine how many Orange Tips caterpillars are destroyed each year in the name of tidiness!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, thank you, there was quite a lot of Small Tort's, they seem to be having a good year, I've seen one in the garden so far unfortunately I was talking at a distance to my neighbour and we just watched it, I was eager to get my camera but had to stay put :roll: .

Thank you David, the last few days have been very warm here, we've had the showers as well but they've not lasted too long, today how ever we're to get Thunder etc, I'll have to wait for a better day to venture further :D

Hi! essex, when I took photo's at Hall-Lee-Brook a few years back before they made it into a CP , the meadow there was full of May Flowers and I could stand in the middle and take shots of Orange Tips a plenty, then the grass cutting started, now your lucky if you see one , I have wondered if this is why they've been seen more in the garden's, I'll go to HLB again shortly, I think the only reason they've not been in there and cut the grass now is because of the Virus. :roll: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It's bloomin annoying when butterflies turn up and you're chatting away isn't it Goldie :roll: :? Some people can be so inconsiderate,it's a case of "there's a butterfly to photograph why are you still gabbling away at me?" :wink: :lol:

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Your so right Wurzel, I was dying to get my camera :lol:

I went to Hall-Lee-Brook after lunch, with more storms expected I thought I'd take a chance while the Sun was still shining, I was there less than an hour when the sky went dark, in that short space of time though I managed to see two Large Skippers, the Male was trying his best but the Female didn't want to know and shook her wings every time he approached , I'd never seen Skipper's refuse before and I was surprised how menacing the Female looked. :D ( Take your hook) was a real message :lol:

I also saw lot's more Meadow Browns and Small Tort's which quickly disappeared with the darkening sky. Goldie :D
Attachments
54189435-3C0A-48A4-881D-D9AE682DC4E0.jpeg
4EEB4E1A-6218-4D7C-A7B5-8AF52BD788BD.jpeg
99997B28-2B15-4DD1-9965-91E170405969.jpeg
C7833B52-E773-4620-A2C9-5FDD8BC1BF3E.jpeg
3BB7A336-58C3-4ED2-87BC-7DEFC1240BD1.jpeg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You've captured that courtship attempt well Goldie. Even the wing shaking is quite apparent. Well caught :)
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank you Pauline, roll on Kent :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great views of the Large Skipper out on a date - I don't think it'll go to a second one though :roll: :lol: Love the 'two tone' Meadow Brown :D

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

In spite of your lack of opportunities, Goldie, you've done something I haven't this year - seen a female Large Skipper!

Hope the weather improves during your stay in Kent.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Wurzel, my range is limited at present, most of the places like CP, ETC, are closed so I'm depending on the local area which seems not to have a good range of Butterflies at present, plus the weather has been awful since June arrived :roll: Thunder Storm's again today UGH! :roll:
Going to Kent David will open more opportunities but my mane pleasure will be seeing my family again :D My Daughter's been teaching all through the Shut down and is still doing it for another two weeks, so it'll be nearer the end of July before I go, we want to be on the safe side. ( Some good news though, My Hair Dresser's got in touch and I've got an appointment for July, WOW!! :lol: )
Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:37 am...My Hair Dresser's got in touch and I've got an appointment for July, WOW!! :lol
Yes, looks like we'll have movement on this quite soon, Goldie, and not before time. I'm looking like a 70's throwback right now given that my last haircut was in early March! :)
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, I should have my hair cut just before I go to Kent, ( hope fully ) :D

Yesterday morning it was raining hard and then it stopped so I decided to pick a few weeds up in the Garden, guess what, I was caught in a heavy shower, that's after the forecast said no rain :roll: any way lunch time came and so did the Sun and the clouds, I decided to take a chance and go to HLB, I thought if nothing else I'd get some exercise. :D

The Large Skipper's were out in force, also the Small Tort's but I was surprised to find two Red Admirals, they were lying low in the Brambles because when the Sun did emerge from the clouds it was hot and I don't think the RA like a hot Sun!
The Skipper's and Torts on the other hand were in their element :D

I was walking on the path through the field when I spotted what I thought was another Large Skipper, then I noticed this one had spots, I was excited when I saw it was a Small Copper, it was so small though and perfectly still, the clouds were covering the Sun at this point so I was able to get a few shots, when the Sun did come out it threw shadows of the grass across it so I could have missed it, first time I've been glad of cloud cover. :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
E1D0CA06-F8B3-4123-A5DE-C496DBD6F3FD_1_201_a.jpeg
B3913E90-E387-4345-B6C6-A20A288CA6D5.jpeg
D3A0011A-C47F-466F-9091-A766220AA2FA_1_201_a.jpeg
646FD062-A290-4D17-B8A5-8FA3F8B9972F_1_201_a.jpeg
125B42E0-115F-4C55-8D82-F06289B41456_1_201_a.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Well-spotted with the Small Copper, Goldie, and then getting close to it. They are very skittish in bright sunshine. I think you may be right about the Red Admirals - at this time of year I see most of mine late in the afternoon, or early evening when the sun is less strong. They are quite happy in shade or even in a bit of rain! They are also the only species I've seen flying after sunset. :)

Cheers,

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”