Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Trevor

Post by bugboy »

You're really cleaning up with those summer species :mrgreen: . I reckon your dragonfly is a Ruddy Darter. Need a clear view of the legs to be sure but what from what I can see of them that's what I'd go for :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking White Admirals Trevor and I'm also pretty 'jelly' of the Wood Whites :mrgreen: 8) Hopefully things Purple will pick up for a visit next week although the next couple of days don't look promising weather wise :?

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Paul, I'll take your word for an ID.,the images I looked at did not exactly match my photo,
but Common Darter was close. So Ruddy Darter it is!. Thanks for that. :D

If you are coming over next week, Wurzel, may I suggest Mon or Tues, after that the forecast
is for very hot weather, which is next to useless, if they do come down they won't open up ( as in 2018 ).
You will be impressed with the number of White Admirals around, I've never seen so many this early.
With luck I should be there both days.

Stay safe both,
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

Great shot of the dragonfly, Trevor, and your SWFs and White Admirals are making me yearn for this rain and cool weather to end so I can see a few myself!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

As the Law of Sod dictates Monday and Tuesday are my rota'd days this week so I will working in work rather than working from home :roll: :roll: Hopefully things won't go too mad and will cool down slightly later in the week - fingers crossed :D

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

I drove over to Chiddingfold Forest early this morning, arriving at my chosen spot at 7.55.
Dave ( millerd ) arrived later on and for a while it looked as though the weather might collapse,
and it also started to drizzle, later we had some light rain.
When some sun did appear I carefully explored the ride and was rewarded with a Purple Emperor
landing nearby. Then near disaster!, as I waited for it to settle properly I could hear many footsteps
approaching from behind me, it was two adults with three young children and Dog.
When they got closer I asked if they could approach slowly, pointing to the Emperor.
Actually this family were brilliant, the wife told me her Grandfather used to go Emperor watching
the three young boys were very interested, and the father had taken the Dog out of harms way.

The PE did eventually fly off, but returned to the same spot later on and was enjoyed by Dave,
John Williams and Steve, for whom this was his first ever Emperor.
Mark Colvin and Andrew Reekie missed the event, but had a fleeting glimpse of another PE.

I was also pleased to obtain an image of a White Admiral underside.
Trevor.
Attachments
Note the extra orange on the hind wings.
Note the extra orange on the hind wings.
P1430774.JPG
P1430776.JPG
P1430765.JPG
P1430755.JPG
P1430781.JPG
P1430795.JPG
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well done Trevor - good to know they're about at Chiddingfold and with the weather forecast for next week I expect numbers will increase quickly.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Very nice shots of that Emperor, Trevor a quite different angle to the ones I have. :) It's certainly a more colourful beast than usual with the quite prominent hindwing orange markings. Your battle with the bracken certainly paid off with the White Admiral underside as well. :)

Good to see you and everyone else this morning. Here's to many more Emperors during the coming sunny midsummer days!

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Pauline & Dave.
After the poor weather of the early morning, the day picked up nicely.
It was a surprise, looking at my images, to discover that the Purple Emperor we spent
so much time with was not fresh, but had clearly been around for a couple of days.
Not looking forward to the heat forecast for later on this week!.

Stay safe
Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, lovely shots of the Emperor, first time I saw one it took my breath a way :D especially when the Sun caught it's wings,
your one looks so fresh :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking set of images Trevor :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I was hoping to get there mid week but the heat looks like I'll have to wait until the weekend when it's slightly cooler :? Fingers crossed - it would be good to catch up again :D

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great stuff, Trevor. :mrgreen: It's always an exciting moment when the first Emperors take to the wing. I may even get the chance to see them myself this year given that trips abroad look to be off the menu until some point in July.
trevor

Post by trevor »

All quiet on the Emperor front today, but for other species the early start was justified.
I even obtained shots of three firsts for the season, Marbled White, Small Skipper and Ringlet.

Back again tomorrow for another try!.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1430809.JPG
P1430805.JPG
P1430824.JPG
P1430816.JPG
P1430812.JPG
P1430800.JPG
P1430819.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Better shot of a White Admiral than I've managed so far this year Trevor :mrgreen: Hopefully the Emperors won't burn themselves out in the heat :?

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

It's a good job you were at work today, Wurzel, Chiddingfold would have been a wasted trip.

Once again the Purple Emperor proved elusive today, despite near perfect weather in the morning.
Maybe He's keeping us waiting until nearer the traditional time of emergence.

The warm weather today was responsible for keeping most species very active,
and most that landed kept their wings closed, so it was a good day for underside shots.
The find of the day was a Purple Hairstreak, 10 points to whoever spotted it in the first place,
as it was not easy to see where it was perched.

I'll no doubt be back for more, but not for a few days.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1430836.JPG
P1430831.JPG
P1430833.JPG
trevor

Post by trevor »

The Purple Emperor has avoided me like the plague so far this year
despite putting in many hours it has always been a case of wrong place, wrong time.
But I must admit ( and I don't want the likes of Neil Hulme to know this ) but I spooked
a real beauty yesterday :oops: , and sent it up with no photos!. ( keep that quiet! ).

But on the plus side I made a good discovery today. A young enthusiast, Max, showed
me an image of a fresh Wood White, and later on I found another, which together with a few
survivors of the Spring brood still flying, confirmed that the two broods have overlapped
in 2020. In some years no Wood Whites are seen at all during the PE season.

Must do better!,
Trevor.
Attachments
Back lit Summer brood specimen.
Back lit Summer brood specimen.
Close up of new brood wing with complete fringe hair.
Close up of new brood wing with complete fringe hair.
Spring brood survivor.
Spring brood survivor.
Max Anderson

Post by Max Anderson »

Chin up Trevor, there'll be more opportunities to see PE over the next week or so!

Nice to see the second generation Wood whites out already - photo below (from 25/6) illustrates the fringe hairs quite nicely.
w.wh101.jpg
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Max, I saw another fresh Wood White today, it was well away
from those we saw yesterday. Overlapping broods have probably happened before,
but personally I have known whole Emperor seasons with no Wood Whites about at all.

A bit more luck with His Majesty today.
I went for a short walk from my base, on my return, a few minutes later, an Emperor
had landed in the meantime while I was away. It was clearly not approachable, so I
removed my close up lens, and using some zoom, took a few shots from a safe distance.
Good job I did as it didn't stay long. When I examined the spot where the PE had been
I found a very old, dried out Fox scat which was obviously of no use.
I was later treated to two very fast and powerful flybys, probably by the same butterfly,
on the second pass I was briefly ' buzzed ', but was clearly not smelly enough!.

So far this has been the most frustrating season I've known. It can only get better?.

Keep well,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1430895.JPG
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Lovely photos Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, a great array of shots especially the Emperor :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”