Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel and thanks for the ID.

Hi Neil - I am presuming they are day-flying? I guess I just got lucky as I have never seen one on that site before. Thanks for those details.

Hi David - at last we have had some rain (just when I didn't want it) but at least it will benefit those SSB and many other species :D

Back to the Dukes. I have managed to watch my little second instar shed his skin into a mighty fine third instar, but my goodness, what a marathon it was. The whole process took a lot longer than the moult from 1st to 2nd instar and the period of time the pupa was a very dark colour was also protracted. In all fairness I don't think I should be the only one to suffer :wink: :lol: so here is a brief summary of the lead into the main event:

4/6 6.00am
P1330240ad.jpg
5/6 6.00am
P1330304ad.jpg
6/6 6.00am
P1330361ad.jpg
7.00am
P1330415ad.jpg
9.00am
P1330495ad.jpg
P1330518ad.jpg
11.00am
P1330529ad.jpg
Midday
P1330535ad.jpg
2.00pm
P1330542ad.jpg
3.00pm
P1330542ad.jpg
5.00pm
P1330552ad.jpg
The weather conditions were not ideal with heavy winds and bouts of heavy rain - freezing cold too! Here is a shot of the one which hatched with him, still showing no signs of wanting to moult. The rate at which they are both developing seems to be widening:
P1330409ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

The main event didn't begin until just after 6.00pm. The light was fading and it was beginning to rain. Nevertheless, it was worth waiting for and like nothing I have seen before. As before he did half a dozen of those strange bends and stretches. I can't decide whether he was stretching after being cooped up in his smaller skin or whether he was trying to dislodge the last few bits of the shed skin. I took my last shot just before 7.00pm at which time the larva was resting in a 'prayer' position. He was still like this when I checked a couple of hours later, clearly exhausted by his efforts. This morning the shed skin had gone but I assume it had blown away or dropped off the leaf as he had shown no interest in eating it immediately after shedding.
P1330599ad.jpg
P1330603bd.jpg
P1330606ad.jpg
P1330610ad.jpg
P1330612ad.jpg
P1330616ad.jpg
P1330619ad.jpg
P1330624ad.jpg
P1330629ad.jpg
P1330631ad.jpg
P1330635ad.jpg
P1330640ad.jpg
P1330644ad.jpg
P1330664ad.jpg
P1330672ad.jpg
P1330694ad.jpg
P1330716ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I have been reliably informed that WLH are out in my area - and probably have been for at least a couple of days. I took an hour out to check one of my local sites but no WLH seen there. Not a complete waste of time tho' as I was pleased to see my first Marbled White of the year and a really lovely Comma:
P1330874ad.jpg
P1330849ad.jpg
P1330838ad.jpg
P1330886ad.jpg
P1330824ad.jpg
On the way back to the car I saw some very colourful orchids and a poor Small Tortoiseshell that had clearly had a hard time:
P1330894ad.jpg
P1330904ad.jpg
P1330908ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just a quickie to record that I saw my first White Admiral of the season today at the Straits. Could only have got a distant shot so didn't bother - hopefully many more opportunities soon. There were lots of Meadow Brown and because they often don't get the attention they deserve I took a few shots. Others seen were Skippers, Speckled Wood and this Beautiful Demoiselle:
P1340004ad.jpg
or is it?
P1340015ad.jpg
P1340070ad.jpg
P1340046ad.jpg
P1340052ad.jpg
P1330996ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking close-up views of the Marbled White Pauline 8) - they always have the look of an alien baddy to mine mind :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Wow! The word 'painstaking' doesn't do it justice, Pauline. One wonders how so many survive to pupate when one sees how laborious the process is of shedding the skin.

Fabulous mini documentary. I look forward to more instalments but I'm not sure if you do! :)
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - I reckon I have gotten so used to looking at larva just a few mm in size I can't cope with something as huge as a whole Marbled White :lol:

Thank you David. I appreciate that. You totally get it - it is hours and hours of time and observation. Not sure I'll ever want to see another Duke again after this :wink: :wink: :lol: - but it is revealing and educational.

I am feeling fairly confident now that Duke larva in the 1st instar eat their skin when they shed it - not all of it. Just about two thirds. Don't know why that should be - perhaps some of it is just not palatable. This doesn't seem to be the case when the 2nd instar sheds the skin tho' I shall keep watching and the 3rd instar remains to be seen. A few more shots of brand new 2nd instar eating the shed skin:
P1330796ad.jpg
P1330927ad.jpg
P1330938ad.jpg
P1330957ad.jpg
P1330984ad.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Well done Pauline, you've found a Meadow Brown :lol: I've been searching for them but no luck :roll: It's pathetic, I'm looking for MB's and you've got all those cracking shots, :lol: love the shot of the Marbled White :mrgreen: keep the shots coming :D Goldie :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Goldie. There seems to have been an explosion of Meadow Brown around here recently and everywhere I walk I am flushing them from the grass.

I think an update on the garden larva is well overdue. You will recall that because the eggs had been laid there I was determined not to interfere and just monitor their wild lives - none of my usual 'saving and rescuing'. I had found 9 Orange Tip eggs on both Cuckoo Plant and Garlic Mustard. For some reason the eggs and tiny larva disappeared from the cuckoo plant first. The ones on the garlic mustard lasted longer but did not reach final instar. I had high hopes for the final 2 which seemed to be progressing well but there is a lot of baby birds around at the moment ...........So, out of 9 not a single one made it.

The 11 Brimstone eggs were laid in 3 batches and in the early stages more than half were predated. As they grew they seemed less susceptible to predation which was a surprise as they couldn't have been more obvious:
P1330169d.jpg
Of the 5 which reached final instar, 4 wandered off the plant to pupate. I tried really hard to track them at this stage to see where they pupated but found it impossible. Only one remained on the plant and I was very pleased when I saw him begin to pupate:
P1330810ad.jpg
However, as the days wore on and there was no change I began to think that he was not going to survive this stage. Happily I was wrong and this was him yesterday:
P1340080ad.jpg
Now, altho' not exactly a garden larva, do you remember the little larva that spent 2 days in the fridge having come in on a vegetable delivery (broccoli)? I thought it might have been a Small White but I couldn't get it to eat. Thinking there was a possibility it was a GVW and they both eat garlic mustard I offered some of that - just not interested. Because I was curious about its ID I put it in a cage where it promptly pupated on the netting making photos impossible :roll: With a bit of luck, before very long I shall find out what it is.

The Pine Hawk moth pupa found in the rabbit run last Autumn is still alive and kicking (well, wriggling) so I am hopeful it won't be long before I get to see it.

Having had the advantage of being able to monitor the development from eggs of these 2 species in a wild situation has been an eye opener. I had read that for various reasons (predation, disease etc) only a very small percentage make it through to adulthood in the wild but actually seeing it happen makes it very real and is obviously the reason so many eggs are laid.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots Pauline, I hope you get a GVW , may be it will enjoy Broccoli when it finally surfaces :lol: Good news, looks like I'll be in Kent before too long :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Surprised you've time to function right now, Pauline, with all these larval and pupal goings-on.

Nice to know at least one Brimstone has made it, and I too will be interested to see what your 'mystery' emergee is to be.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

As you know M. I have only seen one GVW (briefly) this season but as long as it emerges I will be happy.

Getting thru' those moults was challenging David and at times required copious amounts of gin :wink: Not sure it did anything to improve my functioning either :oops: :lol: Not even sure the effects have worn off yet as I forgot to change the camera settings for these next shots :roll:

I have been watching a couple of dozen bees outside my kitchen window which I think are those leaf-cutter bees I spotted last year. I have been waiting for an opportunity to catch them cutting. Trouble is, I thought they were solitary and there were loads of these with frequent matings. The male just slams into the female from behind and in 20 secs he is on to the next one :shock: :oops: I don't know what the plant is that is attracting them but it seems to grow wild and spread fast. I love it even tho' the area at the side of my house now resembles a jungle!
P1340136ad.jpg
P1340129ad.jpg
P1340143ad.jpg
P1340138ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

STILL no WLH at my local site but how could I be disappointed when I was surrounded by 4-5 Red Admiral, Marbled Whites and my first Painted Lady of the season:
P1340206ad.jpg
P1340222ad.jpg
P1340216ad.jpg
I WAS disappointed that I was not able to get a shot at a Large Skipper in the garden today. Not sure what the flowers are called but they are small purple daisy type flower with a yellow centre. I'll keep my eyes open in case it returns.

2 new additions to the household - their first photo shoot. Normally I remove the eggs from my white doves but somehow these 2 got overlooked:
P1340198ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shot of the Painted Lady Pauline :D - not seen one yet this year myself :mrgreen: Do you name the Doves (or are there too many?) - if you do perhaps you could call them Corona and Covid - a reminder of possibly why they're here? :wink:

Wurzel
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Lovely photos Pauline. All first rate as ever but the first Marbled White photo on Monday 8th June is a corker. I have yet to see a Painted Lady this year (my garden was full of them last year).
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - no way do I want to be reminded of this year. I think more appropriate names would be Gin and Tonic :lol:

Thank you Otep. I hope it won't be too long before you see a few Painted Ladies :)

A few shots of 2nd and 3rd instar Dukes taken over recent days - by special request :) . It is not so easy now. In 3rd instar they tend to hide away and are very elusive. This one decided under the rim of a plant pot nicely resembled the channel on the stem of the cowslips - lucky he didn't get squashed!
P1340092ad.jpg
P1340102ad.jpg
P1330804ad.jpg
P1340123ad.jpg
P1340152ad.jpg
P1340162ad.jpg
P1340177ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Gin and Tonic does ring better :wink: 8)

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the Doves Pauline and I really enjoy their names :lol: Goldie :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I need to be careful Wurzel - I'll be getting a reputation! :wink:

More mouths to feed M :roll: :wink: Shove it in one end and clean up from the other end :lol:

Third time lucky. I never mind popping down to this site as there always seems to be something new. The first butterfly I spotted today was an Essex Skipper and I was delighted. Why? Just recently I have been telling anyone who would listen that the WLH will not be out at this site until the Essex Skipper appears so seeing it gave me a good feeling. I was not wrong. I only saw 2 today but the second had a huge bit of wing missing (just after you left A.) The other kept its distance so I only got a record shot but it was just lovely to be surrounded by some summer butterflies for an hour. Selection below:
P1340288d.jpg
P1340303ad.jpg
P1340292ad.jpg
P1340316ad.jpg
P1340299ad.jpg
P1340299bd.jpg
P1340306ad.jpg
The last 2 are of course Large Skipper:
P1340326ad.jpg
P1340331ad.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots again Pauline, It's always great to find exactly what you're looking for :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: You've certainly more Butterflies than we have here, also we've had a couple of storms :roll: still next week looks better, I may just take a chance and go to Brockholes CP, I keep checking to see if they've opened the car park yet.
I love the Hair streak on the Blossom :mrgreen: :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”