May 2020

Discussion forum for sightings.
Stevieb

Re: May 2020

Post by Stevieb »

Went out in search of Wall Brown this morning. Duly noted along with a nice little selection of others.
Wall Brown 30th May
Wall Brown 30th May
Marsh Fritillary 30th May
Marsh Fritillary 30th May
Green Hairstreak 30th May
Green Hairstreak 30th May
Small Tortoiseshell 30th May
Small Tortoiseshell 30th May
Large Skipper 30th May
Large Skipper 30th May
Large Skipper 30th May
Large Skipper 30th May
Small Heath 30th May
Small Heath 30th May
Adonis Blue 30th May
Adonis Blue 30th May
Adonis Blue 30th May
Adonis Blue 30th May
Meadow Brown 30th May
Meadow Brown 30th May
David M

Post by David M »

Stevieb wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:52 pmWent out in search of Wall Brown this morning. Duly noted along with a nice little selection of others.
That is indeed a fine selection, Stevie. Nice to see a Wall Brown image. Not been too many on here so far this year. I guess being largely coastal that people haven't been visiting these sites like they would normally.
Medard

Post by Medard »

Shapwick National nature reserve.
On my morning walk along the Sweet track the numbers of Large Skippers had increased by three, by 10-00 all had disappeared, to hot ?
Large Skipper
Large Skipper
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/
Last edited by Medard on Sat May 30, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
millerd

Painted Ladies on the move?

Post by millerd »

There have been a few reports of Painted Ladies from here and there recently, and as ever it would be terrific to have another big year for them. 2019 was pretty good and it's unusual to have strong migrations two years on the trot. However, on a late afternoon walk down at Staines Moor, I saw at least three individuals flying in close proximity. They hung around a sheltered spot for a while and basked (as well as squabbling amongst themselves) before heading off generally northwestwards with the wind. Here they are.
a more distant shot, this one looks unblemished
a more distant shot, this one looks unblemished
a distinct nick in the RH forewing distinguishes this one
a distinct nick in the RH forewing distinguishes this one
a more generally worn one missing bits of both RH forewing and RH hindwing
a more generally worn one missing bits of both RH forewing and RH hindwing
Hopefully this is the start of something bigger... :)

Cheers,

Dave
Medard

Post by Medard »

On my morning walk along the Sweet track the numbers of Large Skippers had increased by three, by 10-00 all had disappeared, to hot ?

Large Skipper
SEP_6220.jpg
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

Managed at last to add the chequered skipper to my sightings list today
Attachments
Nr Oban in Scotland
Nr Oban in Scotland
David M

Post by David M »

Very nice, Bertl. Yours may be the only image of this species we get on here this year. :(
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Left the fields behind our local pub for a wander to Wolstonbury with my son yesterday.

If anyone in the mid Sussex area hasn't seen a Small Blue, get yourself to Wolsty - they're out in very good numbers at Base Camp level.
Attachments
The Wolsty Ant Hill Mob
The Wolsty Ant Hill Mob
Adonis Blues: Wolsty 30th May
Adonis Blues: Wolsty 30th May
David M

Post by David M »

Thursday 28th May - saw my first Large Skippers of the year on the Swansea coast:
1LgeSkipper(1).jpg
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

May has been a pretty good month for me.
Yesterday(an Friday) late afternoon/early evening, was spent at Queensdown Warren, Gillingham, Kent.
Whilst its clear(for me) that Common Blue numbers are below average this season/year, ive found several fantastic female variants. Perhaps, because there are not many male Common Blues pestering the females?? that's why ive found such perfect fresh examples. Normally, the males would have grabbed these females, an mated them. Who knows?
Once again, over both visits, very low male numbers seen(less than 5).

A couple of Female Common Blue images to end May, cheers Paul. None of these images have been cropped.

Friday evening stunner.
P1130288-copy-to-600.jpg
Saturday evening stunner. The low sunlight really made this "blue type" pop!
P1140024-copy-to-600.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Good range of species at Crymlyn Burrows on the Swansea coast this morning, although they aren't flying in great overall numbers.

Amongst the 13 species in total were 4 Dark Green Fritillaries, which I don't think I've ever seen before June:
1DGFupsuns(1).jpg
2DGFuns(1).jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Very nice (second) shot of the DGF - a species I ALWAYS struggle with!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Not much ,butterfly-wise for the last few days of May ,when I have been able to get out its been too hot ! So instead
I,v been experimenting with a Clearwing (moth) VES lure ,and after several non starters ,in what I reckoned to be excellent habitat ,I finally struck gold ,with 3 Yellow Legged Clearwings arriving at the lure ,within about 2 minutes .
P1160957.JPG
P1160792.JPG
While i was waiting for a few Clearwings to appear ,I noticed a swift flying ,pale coloured Bee zipping about ,something that I have seen before
Close to this site ,and pretty Scarce ,a Long horned Bee .
P1160968.JPG
I also stumbled upon a small Spider ,one of the jumping spiders i believe.
P1160994.JPG
Lastly ,one for the moth--ers ,an Aberrant Treble lines (Charanyca trigrammica ) the forewings of this species is generally the same ground colour
as the pale top section of this one ,never caught one like this before ,but dozens of normal specimens ,I believe it is AB; Semifuscans.
P1160982.JPG

Regards Allan.W.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Fantastic photos everyone, a real joy to look at and extemely educational for this novice. Interesting to note that I may see a Painted Lady before too long in South Derbyshire.

Quite a few extremely colourful, crisp, pristine and lively Small Tortoiseshells appeared here on Saturday.
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Look at that,squeezed some Silver-studded Blues into May, todays count at Iping Common,Sussex.15 males 1 female,next weekend should be good,go for the open wing shots then at about 5.30 AM hehe
Iping Common Male Silver-studded Blue
Iping Common Male Silver-studded Blue
Iping Common Female Silver-studded Blue x 1
Iping Common Female Silver-studded Blue x 1
Lovely
Lovely
Thanks

Dave
Regards
Dave Browne
David M

Post by David M »

Allan.W. wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:34 pmI,v been experimenting with a Clearwing (moth) VES lure ,and after several non starters ,in what I reckoned to be excellent habitat ,I finally struck gold ,with 3 Yellow Legged Clearwings arriving at the lure ,within about 2 minutes
Great effort, Allan. Makes you wonder where they're ekeing out their days if they can be attracted like that so quickly?
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:54 pm Very nice (second) shot of the DGF - a species I ALWAYS struggle with!
That always surprises me, Pauline. Patience is all it takes and you've got a diploma in that! :)
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello David ,
I,m quite new to this Clearwing luring myself ,and this was probably my sixth "go" before I got lucky ,I,ve seen several since ,but only from the same rough area , I saw a message from a chap on another site who,d been trying unsuccessfully for 10 years !( Hope he,s still not using the same lure !)and a friend of mine on the edge of Romney Marsh (Kent ) has had 6 (maybe 7 ) of the British species in his garden !
They,re interesting little moths ,and yes ,they are very difficult to find without lures ,some will visit Bramble flowers and suchlike ,and the Currant Clearwing visits cultivated Currant bushes ……………………… but these I lured are the only ones I,ve ever seen.
Regards Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

They certainly are interesting, Allan, possibly because they are so rarely seen. I've only ever seen one myself and that was thanks to a guy at Alner's Gorse who'd caught one himself in a lure.
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

David M wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:42 pm Amongst the 13 species in total were 4 Dark Green Fritillaries, which I don't think I've ever seen before June:
Hello David,
It was once thought that it was a good idea to record & submit early seasonal sightings to Butterfly Conservation, as they might hold the biggest database of butterfly sightings that helped give one a bigger picture with regard to Climate Change.
Woodland Butterflies
Good Climate Change indicator species might also include the White Admiral and Silver-washed Fritillary (SWF, a bit bigger than the Dark green Fritillary) which will be first seen in numbers in the first half of June this year.
As you might know, both WA and SWF emerged at about the same seasonal time, generally before the larger Purple Emperor.

Kind Regards
Kind Regards,

Return to “Sightings”