May 2020

Discussion forum for sightings.
Testudo Man

Re: May 2020

Post by Testudo Man »

David M wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:23 pm Great images, TM. There seem to be quite a few Adonis aberrations so far this month. I wonder whether this is due to the wild temperature fluctuations we had in early May?
Cheers David.
I would think that temperature fluctuations, could be one of the factors in producing aberrations.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Allan.W. wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:41 am Up early this morning ,to catch the Adonis Blues waking up ,bit of a slow start at first ,but as the wind dropped more and more
Adonis took to the wing ,I was surprised to see how worn ,most of the males were ,some very striking females on the wing , and just the one Common
Blue (a female ) ,just don,t know whats happened to them locally this season ,was also pleased to find a scarce (ish) plant these days in Kent,
Yellow Vetchling (lathyrus aphaca ) ,used to see it all the time ,but rarely these days .
Missed seeing the Early Spider Orchids as well at the closed Samphire Ho this year ,the little Downland site I visited this morning used to
have a small colony (and Duke of Burgandys as well ) I looked again this morning ,as I do most years ,more in hope than anything else …………...but no
think they,re all gone ………………..Sadly !
Regards Allan.W.
P1160532.JPGP1160550.JPGP1160574.JPGP1160591.JPG
Some stunning colourations there Allan, nice finds.
In my part of Kent (Im 5 miles West from Maidstone) but I do spend time at Medway sites, ive found below average numbers of both male an female Common Blues this year. Small blues/Adonis blues seem to be having a good year though. I think (weather conditions/climate throughout the year) has to play a part in various species success/failure rates though.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks for the comments Paul ! our findings seem very similar ,funnily enough this afternoon I doubled my years total for Common Blue ,and hopefully numbers are starting to rise . I,ve had one visit to see Small Blues near Dover ,and there were dozens about ,and average numbers (so far ) of Adonis ,but the local Grizzles are now finishing their flight period .
Regards Allan.W.
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Spent a rewarding morning in the Forest of Dean photographing Wood Whites. Many thanks to David M for his directions, they were spot on and I connected almost immediately on arrival at site.
Also managed a ropey record shot of a Small Pearl-bordered Frit.
Wood White 25th May
Wood White 25th May
Wood White 25th May
Wood White 25th May
Wood White 25th May
Wood White 25th May
Wood White 25th May
Wood White 25th May
Wood White 25th May
Wood White 25th May
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary 25th May
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary 25th May
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

I was able to obtain these shots last Thursday evening all thanks to Trevors eyes and lungs.

He spotted the pair at Park Heath Corner in East Sussex while Gary and myself were chasing our own Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries at pretty much the opposite side of the reserve.

He gave several mighty calls that we (eventually) heard, and we (eventually) came back to investigate.

To our great excitement and joy he presented a pairing of SPBF's!

Thanks Trevor. :D
1.jpg
2.jpg
Something I learned from Gary, the male has bigger eyes. Very obvious in the 2nd shot.

And today I saw my first Golden Skipper of the year, near the East Sussex village of Mayfield. It whizzed off and disappeared before I could get close enough for a good look, I suppose it was a Large.

Cheers. :)
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

A lovely walk up on the North Downs near home this afternoon ,and at last ,I,m finding a few Common Blues there fairly
late to get going this season ,in my part of Kent.
As luck would have it ! our route passes right through a small Duke colony ,and when we last visited about a week ago ,they seemed to be
past their best ,but we did manage to find five ,of which two were fresh . also a few Wall ,Dingy Skipper and the odd Green Hairstreak.
At my local Grizzle sites they are definitely on the wane ,but I did find two fresh individuals ,the Adonis is from another site close to this one. Regards Allan.W.
P1160206.JPG
P1160655.JPG
P1160684.JPG
P1160687.JPG
P1160297.JPG
P1160118.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

You're getting almost casual regarding these Grizzly/Adonis aberrations, Allan. :D :mrgreen:
David M

Post by David M »

Stevieb wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:12 pm Spent a rewarding morning in the Forest of Dean photographing Wood Whites. Many thanks to David M for his directions, they were spot on and I connected almost immediately on arrival at site.
Also managed a ropey record shot of a Small Pearl-bordered Frit.
Great to see you caught up with them, Stevie. I knew the Wood Whites would oblige, but I didn't want to promise SPBF because they typically appear unannounced and in low densities, so very pleased you saw that too.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

I,m very lucky and pleased to see these abberations David ,believe me ! I can honestly say I,ve seen as many abberant
Grizzles this season as normal ………….. in fact ,probably more . When I took this particular picture I was looking for a moth (Olethreutes Arcuella )
and was trying to concentrate my efforts to find ,at least one ,but every so often ,I was drawn away by a passing Skipper...………… I never get tired of seeing them. Regards Allan.W.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Dingy Skipper is doing really well in Somerset this year. Yesterday I found it within walking distance of my house, on a site I have checked for it before without success. Today I saw it for the first time since 2013 on a site I check almost every year (for Small Blue - neither it nor the foodplant are out yet there).
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

Some debate as to its providence, but a credible record of Long-tailed Blue was received yesterday by BC Yorkshire branch. Seen late afternoon in the company of several Painted Ladies in a member's garden in Withernsea (on the east coast a few miles north of Spurn Point).

Whilst deliberate release and accidental import can't be ruled out, my feeling is that they are both highly unlikely. Combined with the coastal location, and the supporting cast of other migrants, this may well be a real immigrant. Keep your eyes peeled and start checking those Everlasting Peas on the south coast!!
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

A very good afternoon/evening spent yesterday(although only 10 species seen) an Common Blues were not as common as a few weeks ago now!?
I guess Adonis Blues were the most numerous species seen(with male and female abs.)also seen. Location - Queensdown Warren, Kent.
Several "highlight" images from the day. None of these images have been cropped. Cheers Paul.

Female Adonis (she lacked spots to underside lower hind wings)…...But wow, she was a show off!
P1120360-copy-to-600.jpg
Female Common Blue (blue type).
This beauty was getting ready to roost (7.00pm) her wings were closed, so I had no idea what her colouration was...Then she opened her wings, for a evening bask!
P1120998-copy-to-600.jpg
Brown Argus, also late in the day basking!
P1120828-copy-to-600.jpg
Finally, a 1st for me, not a butterfly, but the next best thing...An Elephant Hawk Moth.
P1120528-copy-to-600.jpg
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Allan.W. wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:01 pm Thanks for the comments Paul ! our findings seem very similar ,funnily enough this afternoon I doubled my years total for Common Blue ,and hopefully numbers are starting to rise . I,ve had one visit to see Small Blues near Dover ,and there were dozens about ,and average numbers (so far ) of Adonis ,but the local Grizzles are now finishing their flight period .
Regards Allan.W.
I would expect our Kent findings to be very similar Alan. :wink:
Whilst i think i sighted approx 50+ Adonis Blues yesterday, i struggled to find 5(or less!) Common Blues?? The way things are going now, its probably a bad year for Common Blues(at least in certain parts of Kent).
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

I,m beginning to see a few more now Paul ,but still well down on the past few seasons ,for instance last years first brood Common Blues (in Orlestone forest ),you,d normally expect around 15 + per session ,with the second brood ,sometimes 80+ per session ,this morning in perfect conditions I found 1 male !
Some nice shots there Paul ,particularly like the last shot ………….. Small Elephant ,I believe . (D .Porcellus )
Regards Allan.W.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

A very good day! Thanks to Bugboy for just giving me an ID for what I thought was possibly a Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary (have never seen one). So, today the highlights have been: a Painted Lady, 4 male Meadow Browns and a Heath Fritillary. This last came into the garden at around 5pm, keeping generally close to the ground and resting mainly on grass but also on the ox-eye daisies. First time I’ve ever seen one.
Attachments
D747AAEE-6E80-44AF-BA96-9594ACFAAF48.jpeg
86C9C80D-6CB8-4B8D-BE09-582B997DA6F4.jpeg
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Less Common Blues around here (Northolt) than expected yesterday-certainly less than a week ago. Orange Tips which had such a good spring now seem to be over.

First 2 Large Skippers of the season though.
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

I came across this worn Painted Lady on the East coast on Monday. To my eye, it appears much darker than normal, or is it just old age (the butterfly, not me)?
Attachments
Paited Lady
Paited Lady
Medard

Post by Medard »

A visit to Martin down.
The Adonis blues were out in force but with the sun and heat were not inclined to pose for the camera, however one did stop for a brief moment,
Adonis Blue (Polyommatus bellargus)
also seen one Common blue, one Dingy Skipper,and Brown Arguss.
A few record shots
Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus)
Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus)
Small (Little) Blue (Cupido minimus)
Small (Little) Blue (Cupido minimus)
Mother Shipton (Callistege mi).
Mother Shipton (Callistege mi)
Mother Shipton (Callistege mi)
Marsh Fritillary (Euphydryas aurinia)
Marsh Fritillary (Euphydryas aurinia)
unknown moth.jpg
unknown moth.jpg
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

An explosion of Meadow Browns on the common with possible numbers in three figures. Some smart fresh Small Torts and Common Blues as well as some well worn. tatty, Common Blues too.
Meadow Brown 27th May
Meadow Brown 27th May
Meadow Brown 27th May
Meadow Brown 27th May
Small Tortoiseshell 27th May
Small Tortoiseshell 27th May
♂ Common Blue 27th May
♂ Common Blue 27th May
♂ Common Blue 27th May
♂ Common Blue 27th May
♂ Common Blue 27th May
♂ Common Blue 27th May
♀ Common Blue 27th May
♀ Common Blue 27th May
♂ Large Skipper 27th May
♂ Large Skipper 27th May
♂ Large Skipper 27th May
♂ Large Skipper 27th May
♂ Large Skipper 27th May
♂ Large Skipper 27th May
PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

As the black hairstreak season accelerates towards an early peak I saw this partially developed male in Monks Wood.
Topside wing view of partially developed male black hairstreak.
Topside wing view of partially developed male black hairstreak.
Also seen were this mating pair.
Black hairstreak pair.
Black hairstreak pair.

Return to “Sightings”