European Satyrids Top Ten

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
David M

Re: European Satyrids Top Ten

Post by David M »

Wonderful narrative, Jim. You certainly did your research for that one. What a fascinating and lovely little butterfly.
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Roger Gibbons wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:20 am My choices of Satyrids may be a little different to Jim’s and Pete’s. Here goes:
And yet two of your four choices so far are shared favourites with Jim and myself! :D Lovely to see mnestra in your top ten - I really must go back to Savoie one day soon and catch up with this species.

I wouldn't be so bold as to guess what is coming up next this time, although I strongly suspect that a certain Coenonympha species already featured in this thread will appear at some point...along with some surprises, maybe on the Erebia front?
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

David M wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:22 pm Wonderful narrative, Jim. You certainly did your research for that one. What a fascinating and lovely little butterfly.
Agreed. Another one very close to the top of my "most wanted" list. I had hoped that I might get a chance this year, but alas, the pandemic currently says no.
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Satyrids:
No. 6 Woodland Brown (Lopinga achine)
Much has been said about achine already and there is nothing I can add. I can’t get near Jim and Pete’s superb photos. This is my best photo of this exceptional species, as I just can’t get close enough to them and they never sit obligingly open-winged for me. Getting good photos is still very high on my wish list.
Lopinga achine_42855W.JPG
No. 5 False dewy Ringlet (E. sthennyo)
This won’t excite anyone unless they happen to know just how scarce and elusive this species is. It is a Pyrenees endemic and very localised even there. I managed to find a reliable spot in 2019 although clearly at the end of its flight period. It is also, like many Satyrid species, very nervous and difficult to approach and has a habit of settling deep in the grass. This is a male, warming up in the morning on damp vegetation.
Erebia sthennyo_46279W.JPG
No. 4 Ottoman Brassy Ringlet (E. ottomana)
Probably even less interesting than sthennyo, given that it looks almost exactly like a Common Brassy Ringlet (E. cassioides – as is/was known as). However, it is limited to a very small area of the Auvergne in France, a long way from the Balkans as its name indicates. I had a number of grass-obscured photos of ottomana until 2017 but in that year I spent a day in the locality, a day that was 10C, drizzle and no sun. I did a lot of reading that day, but there was a brief spell in the afternoon when the sun just managed to penetrate the clouds and this male sat obligingly open-winged to warm up. That one moment made the entire day worth while.
Erebia ottomana_43624W.JPG
My Nos 1-3 will be much more appealing, I promise.
David M

Post by David M »

I'm struggling to compete with some of the entries on here, but for what it's worth:

#10 - Great Banded Grayling

This colossal satyrid is a regular companion in the French Alps in July, and common as blue sky in Spain in August.

It's the sheer size combined with the playful flight that do it for me, and the fact that if you're patient, you can catch them wings open:
thumb_9162_ff96800fd38e31d967568e0c101a901c.jpg
thumb_9162_ff96800fd38e31d967568e0c101a901c.jpg (78.26 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
7.GraylingsGBG(1).jpg
thumb_9162_ad24f5d220539c58dc89358a613f5173.jpg
thumb_9162_ad24f5d220539c58dc89358a613f5173.jpg (61.04 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
#9 - Large Heath

I'm not a fan of its habitat, but this is a scarce species which requires travelling to see. I did make the journey to Whixhall Moss in 2015 to see the davus race, but sadly those images have been lost. In their place I will have to resort to snatched shots in difficult conditions of the polydamus form seen at its most southerly UK site, Cors Caron near Tregaron in mid-Wales:
1LgeHeath1(1).jpg
00000.LgeHth2.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

#8 - Spanish Gatekeeper

The most attractive in this group, with dusky undersides sporting bold ocelli, and an attractive brown and orange upperside pattern.

Seen commonly in the French Pyrenees in late May, with a handful also cropping up in Spain in late July:
2SpanishGtkuppers(1).jpg
2SpanishGtkprunders(1).jpg
#7 - Western Marbled White

Again, in my opinion, the nicest looking within its group; those transverse lines on the undersides making the difference. I only see it in the French Pyrenees in late spring, but there's no shortage of them there:
6WMWups(1).jpg
6WMWuns(1).jpg
Medard

Post by Medard »

I'm not a fan of its habitat, but this is a scarce species which requires travelling to see. I did make the journey to Whixhall Moss in 2015 to see the davus race, but sadly those images have been lost. In their place I will have to resort to snatched shots in difficult conditions of the polydamus form seen at its most southerly UK site, Cors Caron near Tregaron in mid-Wales:
Help please, seeing David's picture and comments on the Large Heath has given me the idea to look for this species here in the UK, I have three times attempted to find it at a site in the Doubs, the access of which is very difficult, so if any one can offer advice and locations of a likely and accessible site at the nearset point  to Somerset I would be very grateful, I do understand as things are at the moment a trip  to Wales my be difficult, nothing ventured nothing gained.
David M

Post by David M »

Hi Jim, Whixhall Moss would probably be the easiest place to visit. I suspect Cors Caron might involve fewer miles, but alas much of the journey takes place on single carriageway country lanes. Besides, the davus race is more appealing, and that's what you'll find at Whixhall. You could also 'double up' and pay a visit to nearby Prees Heath for Silver Studded Blue.
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

It appears that my selections are more in line than I thought with Jim, Pete, David, perhaps not too surprising given that some species in this group are just exceptional.

No. 3 Scarce Heath (C. hero)
The ocelli of the Heath family are just unparalleled in the European butterfly world. The rings of the ocelli vary in colour from species to species and some, such as hero, are sublime. And they are rare in France, so it ticks both boxes for inclusion in this list. As has been noted, it favours damp locations which don’t initially look like ideal butterfly habitat, but Lesser Marbled Fritillary, Chequered Skipper, and other “damp” species often fly in company with hero. It is difficult to approach and requires patience to wait for them to slow down for photos. This is a female, as is the case with many Satyrids, the female being more richly coloured than the male.
Coenonympha hero_15761W.JPG
No. 2 Spanish Gatekeeper (Pyronia bathseba)
There are three Gatekeeper species in France, the UK species, the Southern Gatekeeper (P. cecilia) and bathseba. They are all appealing in their own way, but bathseba is a stand-out. In France, it is a species of the south-west, common in parts of its western range. It is another species where the female outscores the male in terms of its colouring. These are a male upperside and female underside.
Pyronia bathseba_10986W.JPG
Pyronia bathseba_25329W.JPG
No. 1 False Ringlet (C. oedippus)
As Jim has noted, oedippus has its stronghold, such as it is, in the south-west of France. It does, however, have one or two very small colonies in eastern central France one of which is managed and protected by the University of Grenoble. I have a good relationship with the University (they have used my photos in some of their publications) and so they kindly agreed to show me the site. On the day in question, in mid-June, the sky was black with light drizzle. They suggested coming back another day, but I was en route to the UK so it was that day or not at all, and I am very grateful that they accommodated me. There was a spell of 30 mins where the rain relented and we saw probably 100 males in one small area. The University had been undertaking a mark and release scheme which had got to no. 107 but none of the ones we saw were number, so it gives a idea of the total numbers at this site. It wasn’t the first time I had seen oedippus, though. In 1998 I took a photo near Bordeaux of what I assumed was a Ringlet (the UK species) and it wasn’t until some five years later that I realized what I had seen. This is a male from that drizzly day. No words needed, Just sublime.
Coenonympha oedippus_37739W.JPG
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

A fabulous finale Roger!
Your photo of hero is absolutely sensational, and the best that I have seen of this dream of a butterfly.
And as for oedippus, likewise, and I remain highly envious of those who have seen this beauty. Fingers crossed that I might finally meet up with it next year...
cecropia117

Post by cecropia117 »

Awesome pictures all round.

A few species on here that I would dearly love to see. Hopefully Pete is going to take me to see Woodland Brown and Scarce Heath soon!

I don't have enough pictures for a top 10, but had to post pictures of Chapmans Ringlet, taken in the Picos last summer.

They are fabulous in the flesh. Huge, and very confident in the windy conditions we saw them in.

I have always been fascinated by them, being the largest european erebia, and with their restricted distribution. They didn't let me down when I finally got to spend some time with them.
Attachments
Chapmans Ringlet 4 - Copy.JPG
Chapmans Ringlet 2 - Copy.JPG
Chapmans Ringlet 1 - Copy.JPG
Medard

Post by Medard »

Hi Jim, Whixhall Moss would probably be the easiest place to visit. I suspect Cors Caron might involve fewer miles, but alas much of the journey takes place on single carriageway country lanes. Besides, the davus race is more appealing, and that's what you'll find at Whixhall. You could also 'double up' and pay a visit to nearby Prees Heath for Silver Studded Blue.
Many thanks David, with a little luck and providing our Welsh friends raise the portcullis and let the drawbridge down I may be in with a chance.
David M

Post by David M »

Medard wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:05 amMany thanks David, with a little luck and providing our Welsh friends raise the portcullis and let the drawbridge down I may be in with a chance.
You won't need to wait for these abject idiots to make a decision, Jim. The entrance to Whixall Moss is in England, and even given my cynical attitude I doubt very strongly that the Labour-led Welsh Assembly will have sentries in the middle of a bog to spite Boris Johnson's Conservatives!! :lol:

If they do, then a peat bog is the ideal place to bury a dead body. 8)
David M

Post by David M »

#6 - (Spanish) Chestnut Heath

My use of parentheses is deliberate, as this form of glycerion, i.e. iphioides, is so far removed from the form I routinely see in the French Alps as to be unrecognisable.

In 2018, when one of my travelling party caught one and showed it to me in a vial, I was gobsmacked. It's more akin to a Russian Heath with those pronounced unh ocelli on a greyish background.

A very attractive coenonympha for sure:
3.SatyridsSpanishHeath(1).jpg
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

An absolute beauty David, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is eventually awarded specific status.
David M

Post by David M »

petesmith wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:30 pm An absolute beauty David, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is eventually awarded specific status.
Me too. They finally caved in and gave bleusei species status recently.
David M

Post by David M »

#5 - Northern Wall Brown

This is a bit of a strange one, stemming from my first trip to the French Alps where Roger G told me to look out for them. I spent two years checking dozens of similar Large Wall Browns without success until one day when I photographed a scruffy NWB from a distance, finally getting to see one for the first time.

Since then, I have occasionally stumbled by a small number of other, scruffy examples in France, so it was something of a triumph when, in Italy last year, I suddenly became aware of lots and lots of them in a field at around 1,200m altitude. Even better, they were all fresh and I realised just how stunning they actually are:
4NthWall(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

#4 - Dusky Heath

This is a cracking little butterfly, with an appearance which contrasts with most of the other Heaths, i.e. dusky uppersides with pale uns.

Its behaviour is quite hilarious. They are fiercely territorial and totally obsessed with certain kinds of surfaces, particularly man-made ones. There are wooden tables at the fort on top of the hill in the area I stay in the Mercantour every June/July and they congregate there, jockeying for the best spots on the wood, the colour of which matches their undersides.

They are also extremely common in Spain in late July/early August.
11.DuskyHeath(1).jpg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Having my first proper go at one of these - never much doubt about the top 10 but finding the images has taken a fair bit of time. I don't do butterfly holidays, but do research beforehand on the places we visit and am addicted to random wanderings, so I miss many species but turn up some unusual ones.

10 - Spanish Gatekeeper - a particularly neat and pretty gatekeeper, but it gets its place here through its incredible abundance in parts of the Sierra de Mijas in southern Spain, where a walk through the pine woods will put them up in their hundreds. It has certain specific nectar plants which it will congregate on in numbers, often up to a dozen, something I have never photographed well but have always enjoyed sitting and watching.
Dsc08001.jpg
Dsc08003.jpg
Dsc08006.jpg
9 - Neapolitan Grayling - as the name suggests, an endemic species/subspecies restricted to the area around Naples. We climbed the mountain where we hoped to find it, settled down for a coffee, and the butterfly came to join us! It was a wonderful place for butterflies, but that was the only one we saw all day. If only more rare butterflies behaved like this...
Dsc07584.jpg
8 - Grayling - not a glamorous or exotic species but so watchable! Butterflies of great character in their flight, in their checking around them with their eyespots as they rest, and the way they disappear into the background, both on trees and amongst rocks. A species I see very rarely at home and that is rather infrequent in my experience in southern Europe.
Bauduen 2015 part 2 120.JPG
Dsc01636.jpg
Dsc01765.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

#3 - Southern Hermit

This one owes its elevated position almost solely due to its rarity, being found only on the Iberian peninsula within Europe.

It's not easy to approach and like many of its close family relatives, has a tendency to flit around constantly and settle on rocky surfaces.

I've probably seen around two dozen over the two visits I've made to Montes Universales in Spain, and clearly need to improve my images of this species!
3.SatyridsSouthernHermit(1).jpg
4SthnHermit1(1).jpg

Return to “Overseas”