May 2020

Discussion forum for sightings.
Allan.W.

Re: May 2020

Post by Allan.W. »

A reasonably early start to my home walk this morning ,hoping to find a few Brown Argus still about after yesterdays
"Early Autumn leaf-fall" ,after horrendous winds ! never managed the fifteen from a few days back ,but I did find six ,5 males ,1 female , the male Copper had vanished ,but I did double my seasons total ,with two Large Whites ,also four Small Heath.
Amazingly most of the huge number of Dandelion Clocks were still whole !
A very short visit to Orlestone forest ,where I found ,a couple of Small Coppers ,two more Large White ,and a five minute stop ,almost back at home
three Grizzles . Regards Allan.W.
P1140145.JPG
P1140139.JPG
P1140061.JPG
Scabious Sawfly.
Scabious Sawfly.
Interesting Dandelion head.
Interesting Dandelion head.
P1140212.JPG
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Quite productive this morning despite being overcast and chilly! Nice to get out and drive somewhere for a change.
♂ Adonis Blue 13th May
♂ Adonis Blue 13th May
♂ Adonis Blue 13th May
♂ Adonis Blue 13th May
♀ Adonis Blue 13th May
♀ Adonis Blue 13th May
♀ Adonis Blue 13th May
♀ Adonis Blue 13th May
Grizzled Skipper 13th May
Marsh Fritillary 13th May
Green Hairstreak 13th May
Green Hairstreak 13th May
Dingy Skipper 13th May
Dingy Skipper 13th May
Small Heath 13th May
Small Heath 13th May
Brown Argus 13th May
Brown Argus 13th May
David M

Post by David M »

Sunday 10th - first Marsh Fritillaries emerging on the Gower Commons.

Saw around half a dozen (all males). There were similar numbers of SPBFs too:
1MF1(1).jpg
1MFuns(1).jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

You are so lucky to be able to go out legally.

Our Scottish Fuehrer Adolpha Sturgeon continues to treat us like children. She assumes – just because she can’t understand the meaning of the phrase “Stay Alert” - that we mere vassals are equally incapable of using common sense.

Jack
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Stunning Marsh Frit ; there David ………………………...Nice One !!
Regards Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Allan. Lucky I have these on my doorstep, which will give me the opportunity to study them in some detail over the next 3 weeks or so. :D
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:44 pm You are so lucky to be able to go out legally.

Our Scottish Fuehrer Adolpha Sturgeon continues to treat us like children. She assumes – just because she can’t understand the meaning of the phrase “Stay Alert” - that we mere vassals are equally incapable of using common sense.
It's very simple, Jack. Wales and Scotland are ideologically opposed to Boris Johnson's Conservative Party. Therefore, they will do whatever they can to obstruct his policies.

The fact that the rest of Europe is moving even faster than England in their easing of restrictions does not register with them at all, so wedded are they to opposing Johnson at all costs.

This approach will not be sustainable for long, as civil unrest will set in as England's rollback continues to mirror that of the rest of Europe whilst Wales & Scotland clings to this fantasy that they are right and everyone else is wrong (what they actually mean by that is that Europe is probably right, and although Boris Johnson is following the same approach, he, by definition, cannot ever be right so they have to insist on not abiding with it).

Quite honestly, the Chancellor should give a date at which the furlough support scheme will stop and if any of the devolved assemblies wish to continue to finance it due to their reluctance to follow the rest of Europe in measures to progressively normalise society then they will have to finance it themselves with absolutely no support from the UK Exchequer. Let's see how that goes down, eh?
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Some recent sightings by me on my local patch on the Isle of Wight.
Attachments
Hairy dragonfly
Hairy dragonfly
Broad-bodied chaser
Broad-bodied chaser
Downy emerald dragonfly
Downy emerald dragonfly
Brimstone
Brimstone
Orange tip on early purple orchid
Orange tip on early purple orchid
Wall brown
Wall brown
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

David M wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:42 pm
Jack Harrison wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:44 pm You are so lucky to be able to go out legally.

It's very simple, Jack. Wales and Scotland are ideologically opposed to Boris Johnson's Conservative Party. Therefore, they will do whatever they can to obstruct his policies.

The fact that the rest of Europe is moving even faster than England in their easing of restrictions does not register with them at all, so wedded are they to opposing Johnson at all costs.

This approach will not be sustainable for long, as civil unrest will set in as England's rollback continues to mirror that of the rest of Europe whilst Wales & Scotland clings to this fantasy that they are right and everyone else is wrong (what they actually mean by that is that Europe is probably right, and although Boris Johnson is following the same approach, he, by definition, cannot ever be right so they have to insist on not abiding with it).

Quite honestly, the Chancellor should give a date at which the furlough support scheme will stop and if any of the devolved assemblies wish to continue to finance it due to their reluctance to follow the rest of Europe in measures to progressively normalise society then they will have to finance it themselves with absolutely no support from the UK Exchequer. Let's see how that goes down, eh?
Only time will tell which is the correct approach. There are clearly differing political views amongst members but what unites us is the wonderful world of nature, especially butterflies and other insects.😁😁
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Much better weather this morning meant lots of fresh Marsh Frits, Adonis Blues, Brown Argus and Small Heaths.
Marsh Fritillary 14th May
An added bonus was finding this fella roosting amongst all of the butterflies
European Nightjar 14th May
European Nightjar 14th May
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

My first Black Hairstreak of the year, albeit in the pupal stage. I was hoping to find the caterpillars, I found dozens of caterpillars but not the one I was searching for. Monks Wood, Cambs
PUPA BH.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Stevieb wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:15 amAn added bonus was finding this fella roosting amongst all of the butterflies
That's one helluva find, Stevie. Well done. :)
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

David M wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:39 pm That's one helluva find, Stevie. Well done.
Thanks David. I actually flushed it yesterday so was pleasantly surprised to find it at the same roosting post this morning. This time I was ready for it! :D

Other butterflies at the same site this afternoon included my first Large Skipper of the year.
♂ Large Skipper 14th May
♂ Large Skipper 14th May
♂ Large Skipper 14th May
♂ Large Skipper 14th May
Small Blue 14th May
Small Blue 14th May
Small Blue 14th May
Small Blue 14th May
♂ Common Blue 14th May
♂ Common Blue 14th May
♂ Common Blue 14th May
♂ Common Blue 14th May
Green Hairstreak 14th May
Green Hairstreak 14th May
David M

Post by David M »

Wow! Large Skippers already?

Summer is almost upon us!
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

David M wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:19 pm Wow! Large Skippers already?

Summer is almost upon us!
Accordingly to our county recorder it's the first very early Large Skipper of the year and the third earliest ever for Wiltshire. The earliest was on 6 May 1893 from the Marlborough College reports (a very early hot season for several species) and the second on 10 May 2011
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Being now allowed to venture out a little further, I travelled to the south of the Isle of Wight yesterday and in one two minute period saw four butterflies I had not seen this year: Glanville fritillary, common blue, small blue and brown argus. :D :D
Attachments
Small blue (3).jpg
Small blue (2).jpg
Glanville fritillary (3).jpg
Glanville fritillary (2).jpg
Glanville fritillary (1).jpg
Common blue.jpg
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Lovely photos everyone and very educational narratives too. Being a novice it is much appreciated.

This forum celebrates successes and rightly so. I thought I would buck the trend and amuse folk with my last post-work impromptu outing.

Temperature 14 degrees (felt warmer), wind speed 11, sun 80%, time of walk between 4pm and 4.45pm, distance covered 2.5 miles, wild meadows bordering woodland and farmland.

Butterflies seen = 2. Both seen at a distance and both whites.

2 :roll: :lol:
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

One of the many problems that come with advancing years is no longer being able to chase butterflies and get close.

My Canon SX50 with its huge 1200 mm (equivalent) zoom is proving the best option for me with my limited (arthritic) mobility. This GV White picture is nothing special but shows what is possible at 6+metres distant.
A far-too-agile Orange Tip however won the challenge.
20-05-15-262-GVW.jpg
Photo taken at Cawdor.
I don’t know how I finished up at Cawdor – I was on my way to Tesco! :P
Navigation error. Just as well I never did that in my career as an airline pilot.
map.jpg
Jack
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Had a couple of short excursions today ,an early (ish !) morning visit to the local Brown Argus hotspot ,bit better today and managed to find eight ,most lovely fresh individuals ,also managed 14 Small Heath ,2 Small Copper ,2 Common Blues and various Whites .
This afternoon ,I thought I,d take a shortish trip to one of the smaller local Duke colonies,to see what was about , en-route ,and after parking up some distance from the site I found my first Wall of the season ,they seem to be doing really well in my neck of the woods ,and I reckon I saw easily 30 + and I found a pair in-cop ……………… I was patient and waited for them to settle down before approaching ,but they just did not want their pictures taken !
As I walked along I found my first Dingy Skippers (7 ) and was kept company by an inquisitive Red Kite ,that kept me company for about five minutes , also along the arable field edge I stumbled across a plant ,that I,ve long wished to find Small Venus looking glass ,a scarce ,declining Arable species ,really pleased with that one !
At the Duke site ,plenty of Dingys flying ,and a few other bits and pieces ,but for the fist half hour ………… No Dukes ,just on the point of
moving on ,when one shot by me ,and after finding the one ,I managed another 5 ,so 6 in all . Among them was this female AB;Leucodes .
Regards Allan.W.
P1140375.JPG
P1140458.JPG
P1140446.JPG
Female AB;Leucodes.
Female AB;Leucodes.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Where are you Allan? No need to be specific, just a general idea.

Jack

Return to “Sightings”