Brown Hairstreaks

Discussion forum for sightings.
Susie

Brown Hairstreaks

Post by Susie »

As I looked out of my bedroom window this morning I saw another one of those pesky Brown Hairstreaks hanging about the front garden hedge. "Not again!" I thought. I couldn't be bothered to shoo it away so had another cup of coffee instead and went back to bed.

This afternoon I decided to find out where this dratted nuisance had come from, cos this isn't the first time it has turned up in the garden and I don't want it eating my hedge. A two minute stroll up to the end of the road and I had the culprit or, at least, the master tree. Immediately there was a Brown Hairstreak to hand, or to the finger, rather. It was feeding on some clover so I gave it a poke because it wasn't at a very good angle for a picture as with my bad back I couldn't get in close enough and the cheeky blighter had the nerve to climb aboard, thus making it impossible to get a picture!

I spotted another rascal in the undergrowth pretending to oviposit on blackthorn so flicked off the first and took a mug shot of the second.

She then flew off into the master tree and was pursued by, I believe, three males. Serve her right, the floosie.

That was 10 minutes hard work, but worth it. If I catch them in my garden again I'll give them a piece of my mind!
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Re: Brown Hairstreaks

Post by Gruditch »

I hate you :evil:

Not fair, Gruditch
Denise

Post by Denise »

How lucky you are, Susie. :mrgreen: envy!!!
I have never seen one so it would be major for me.

Denise

p.s. watch out who your hugging. 30 mins my foot!
Susie

Post by Susie »

I only said hug! We know that men exaggerate anyway, don't we, Denise. :roll:

It is a shame you are such a long way away Denise, or you would be welcome to pop up for a visit.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Denise wrote: p.s. watch out who your hugging. 30 mins my foot!
A foot? Pah!

And btw, men don't exagerate :D
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Susie,
Tell me about it! :roll: They really are becoming a pest in this part of Sussex! A brief visit to the Downs behind Steyning at lunchtime yesterday, and there were 3 of them sitting at low level - bold as brass! Went back today and there, sitting on that bramble leaf usually reserved for my favourite Meadow Brown..... You've guessed it! :roll: I've tried everything; antpowder, even Cillit Bang (I'll be writing a very strongly worded letter to Barry Scott!). It's time to phone Rentokill, or even the Caan-cil.
Yours, NIMBY, Neil
P1060312_edited-1.jpg
P1060312_edited-1.jpg (242.85 KiB) Viewed 3153 times
P1060326_edited-2.jpg
P1060326_edited-2.jpg (245.54 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
P1060303_edited-1.jpg
P1060303_edited-1.jpg (238.46 KiB) Viewed 3145 times
Piers

Post by Piers »

Rosy Rustic wrote:I only said hug! We know that men exaggerate anyway, don't we, Denise. :roll:
Men don't exaggerate, it's women, and their inability to accurately visualise imperial measurements correctly! :roll:

Felix.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I know what you mean, kipper, I went back to the park to pick a few blackberries earlier to make into an apple and blackberry pie and got accosted by another Brown Hairstreak even though it was overcast and windy. :wink:
Susie

Post by Susie »

Some of the hairstreaks are looking very battered now. Two were sitting in a tree just above me today, one was so tatty he looked positively grey.
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Now I see what you two mean, at Whitecross Green Wood today, they were a bit of a nuisance, see my blog for details. :D
Gruditch
Susie

Post by Susie »

Excellent, Gruditch. Great pic. :D
NickB

Post by NickB »

Felix wrote:
Rosy Rustic wrote:I only said hug! We know that men exaggerate anyway, don't we, Denise. :roll:
Men don't exaggerate, it's women, and their inability to accurately visualise imperial measurements correctly! :roll:

Felix.
Reminds me of the old joke -
Why are women no good at parking?
Ans: They're always being told that 3" is actually 9".....

N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

I'm sick of all of you

I've never seen a brown hairstreak and here in the south-west the only time it stops raining is when it's absolutely pouring - what a summer. Might have to visit the south-east next year......

Wavelea1
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Rosy, Gruditch, Wavelea 1,
I agree Rosy - nice pic Gruditch. I've seen the 'half open' shot you got at the weekend, but can't comment as it's a comp entry! :mrgreen: I think the reason why a few of us have 'bagged up' on Brown Hairstreaks is actually BECAUSE of the poor weather! It's probably the laziest species in the UK and in 'nice' summers it can be very difficult to see. If the weather is consistently good they sit around sunbathing for very long periods, with only short spells of egg laying, usually between 11am and 2pm. They just won't normally move in 'iffy' weather, spending days just sitting around doing nothing. But with the only very short 'weather windows' we are getting this year, if you are in the right place at the right time, then they are coming out in force. I'm certainly seeing more than in a good summer!
Neil
Susie

Post by Susie »

Speak for yourself, Kipper. This tart of a species keeps throwing itself at me every time I step out of the front door, I don't think it is down to the poor summer.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Rosy,
It probably helps having the outer branches of a Master Tree hanging over your back garden fence. Don't be surprised if you see a row of faces looking into the house! :D 8) :lol: :oops: :twisted: (us)
Neil
NickB

Post by NickB »

Sussex Kipper wrote: :D 8) :lol: :oops: :twisted: (us)
Neil
More attractive than they usually are! :(
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Susie

Post by Susie »

Perhaps next year we could have a BC meeting at the Brown Hairstreak site here, then back to mine for cake. :D
Denise

Post by Denise »

Book my place. I'll get the train if I have to :D

Denise
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Such enthusiasm for a piece of cake :lol:

Cheers,