Furthest North the White Admiral has spread.

Sij

Furthest North the White Admiral has spread.

Post by Sij »

I am hoping to photograph a few White Admirals, if lockdown finishes. What is the furthest North this species has spread to? Thats has a population large enough to make it a viable place to take a trip to? Thanks.
petesmith

Re: Furthest North the White Admiral has spread.

Post by petesmith »

There are records from further north than this, but the Lincolnshire Limewoods to the east of Lincoln would be worth a visit. There are good populations in many of the woods in this area. PM me if you would like further site details.
Pete.
PhilBJohnson

Re: Furthest North the White Admiral (WA) has spread.

Post by PhilBJohnson »

When my Wife and I volunteered for Lincolnshire Conservation Group, helping at Scotgrove Wood (a Forestry Commission England Wood) for the first time this winter, we spoke to Richard Davison who said that he thought White Admirals had not reached there yet. The Wood was approximately 3 kilometres south west of Chambers Farm Wood (where there were some WA near the Butterfly Garden in July). Chambers Farm Wood was part of the "Lincolnshire Limewoods" near Bardney.
We had not visited Scotgrove Wood in a Summer to check, but there was plenty of honeysuckle (larval food plant, typical of many Lincolnshire Limewoods).
To keep White Admiral butterflies interested along a habitat connecting field boundary, posed a scientific question:
Connecting "habitat corridors"
How wide does a wooded, native Honeysuckle inclusive field margin, need to be (with the best planting scheme for that species), for productive honeysuckle egg laying (WA in the shade), or part shade (which was thought most suitable), to sustain a population, for connecting habitat requirements,
forwarding the species natural, easy distribution range increase?
Last edited by PhilBJohnson on Tue May 05, 2020 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kind Regards,
petesmith

Re: Furthest North the White Admiral (WA) has spread.

Post by petesmith »

PhilBJohnson wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:00 am When my Wife and I volunteered for Lincolnshire Conservation Group, helping at Scotgrove Wood (a Forestry Commission England Wood) for the first time this winter, we spoke to Richard Davison who said that he thought White Admirals had not reached there yet.
Phil. I have recorded White Admiral in Scotgrove Wood for the past 15 years, and believe that it has been present at this site for very much longer than this. It is not the strongest colony in the area, but is certainly well established. Of course, at least 98% of footfall from visiting naturalists to the Lincolnshire Limewoods occurs at Chambers Farm Wood, leaving many other excellent local woods blissfully quiet for those of us who prefer our lepidoptery on a more solitary basis!

Return to “White Admiral”