"non-essential" travel

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
John W

"non-essential" travel

Post by John W »

Hi people,

The government has said that people should "avoid non-essential travel" in order to reduce the spread of coronavirus.

Does this apply to going into the countryside to look for butterflies?

Personally I can't see a problem with driving in your own car to a site and then walking in the fresh air. I guess if you meet fellow enthusiasts you should refrain from shaking hands but other than that I can't see how you could infect anyone or get infected.

Obviously if you actually have the virus you shouldn't be out and about.

Does anyone else have any thoughts about this?

Cheers
John W
essexbuzzard

Re: "non-essential" travel

Post by essexbuzzard »

I, and I’m sure many others too, have been considering this. I have a full tank of petrol, so I needn’t come into contact with any one there. Most of the places I go to in my spare time I don’t see many people anyway, so can easily avoid contact. If I get, or spread, the virus, it’s unlikely to be in my spare time.
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

Out and about in the sunshine is surely one of the safest places to be, at the moment (assuming as already observed that you don't go around shaking people's hands!). We have a difficult few weeks/months ahead and it's important that everybody doesn't neglect their mental health in the effort to protect their physical health. So I feel certain that a spot of butterflying now and then can only be a good thing.

EDIT: I've just seen an interesting post on social media from Scottish Mountain Rescue. An angle that I hadn't thought of is, of course, that it would be best to minimise demand on services like Mountain Rescue and the RNLI at the moment (not to mention the NHS!). Their advice, and I think it's good advice, is copied below:
Being in the outdoors has many benefits and we are usually very happy to encourage individuals to get outdoors and enjoy the beauty of Scotland, however during this ongoing situation we ask you not to take any unnecessary risk when enjoying the outdoors. Perhaps go on adventures you are familiar and safe with and while doing so, keep social distancing in mind.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

From my own perspective, I think that it is the perfect hobby at a time like this. I will be in isolation, I will meet no-one and my mental health will benefit from it.

I am presently working from home which is how it will be for the foreseeable. In an office, every hour seems to last a minute. Working from home, every minute seems to last an hour. Just looking forward to getting out in to the countryside for the butterfly season in itself helps me get through the day.
David M

Post by David M »

Otep wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:45 pmFrom my own perspective, I think that it is the perfect hobby at a time like this. I will be in isolation, I will meet no-one and my mental health will benefit from it.
I'm struggling to improve on that statement, Otep.

You can't lock human beings in cages. Those of us who are responsible are perfectly capable of minimising risks.

Individuals still need fresh air, dogs need to be walked, exercise should still be undertaken, etc...

"Isolation fatigue" could easily become the motto of 2020 the way we're carrying on, in the same way "Get Brexit Done" was the hallmark of 2019.

I would personally rather die than be under prolonged house arrest.

As you rightly say, mental health is an enormous consideration, and getting out on one's own to a relatively isolated location and watching butterflies and other wildlife allows us to reconnect with our biosphere. It lifts our mood and gives us strength to go back home and continue to be steadfast and resolute in the face of what has become a norm-altering event for most and an existential threat to some.

I shall be heading out regardless unless I am on my deathbed.
Medard

Post by Medard »

Advice to all.
IF By Rudyard Kipling
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs etc ..............

Large Copper (Lycaena dispar)
MAY_4979 JUY_0819 Large Copper (Lycaena dispar).jpg
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

nobody has mentioned livestock, animals need to be fed and checked every day, so i think that will be a valid task during any shut down, and a good excuse for visiting and butterflying at the same time.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Finally we have details of what essential and non-essential travel is.

One thing that IS allowed...

Driving to countryside and walking (where far more time is spent walking than driving)
Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

ernie f wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:37 am Finally we have details of what essential and non-essential travel is.

One thing that IS allowed...

Driving to countryside and walking (where far more time is spent walking than driving)
Yes. That's how I interpreted it, ernie.

I think the original ambiguity stemmed from the fact that Police forces objected to large numbers of people descending en masse onto known beauty spots.

We butterflyers tend to prefer the more off the beaten track locations. The fewer people the better irrespective of coronavirus.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I menitoned elswhere that this discriminates against the mildly disabled like me. I can walk very slowly for 20 minutes (but managed 40 minutes today albeit with numerous stops).

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:24 pm
I menitoned elswhere that this discriminates against the mildly disabled like me. I can walk very slowly for 20 minutes (but managed 40 minutes today albeit with numerous stops).
This is what I mean regarding things never being 'black and white', Jack.

Surely, in a sparsely populated part of the UK, it would be almost inconceivable that someone such as yourself would be punished for driving 20 minutes or so to escape other human beings (and thus potentially increasing any chance of spreading this virus) to do what you can within your physical limitations by way of walking in the countryside.

The Police need to be careful about not losing the support and respect of the public. We all saw the headlines when one Force started claiming that shopping trolleys would be checked to ensure no non-essential items were amongst the purchases.

If they start behaving in an unduly heavy-handed manner then there will be repercussions.

Return to “General”