April 2020

Discussion forum for sightings.
Medard

Re: April 2020

Post by Medard »

"Stick to the whisky, Jack. Probably help you sleep better too.

Hello Jack I have also given up Whiskey, Scrumpy, well I learnt before the age of fifteen it had an undesirable effect upon me, but having been introduced to the French way of life many years ago as a result of a twining arrangement between our two villages,I do enjoy wine, the French village is but a few miles away from St Emilion renowned for its great wines, Chateau Petrus,Chateau Cheval Blanc etc.,all way beyond my means.
Saint-Médard-de-Guizières
Saint-Médard-de-Guizières
Chateau Petrus,
Chateau Petrus,
Saint-Émilion
Saint-Émilion

At the moment with the uncertainty of life and the prospect of seeing the pearly gates with the cursed coronavirus   
 hanging over us all I am drinking up my best vintages whilst I can, the thought of the undertaker and pall bearers profiting doesn’t appeal to me, Some twenty years ago travelling in the Gers I succumbed to the temptation of purchasing a ten year old bottle of Armagnac, it’s never been opened, No doubt learned folk that we hear daily on the radio will scoff at the ideal of it being an antidote for the virus but I intend to give it a go.Cheers.
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com
Attachments
Butterfly and Armagnace
Butterfly and Armagnace
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

A couple of visitors to the garden yesterday. Not sure if that's a type of Osmanthus they are nectaring on.
Holly Blue 12 April
Holly Blue 12 April
Speckled Wood 12 April
Speckled Wood 12 April
Speckled Wood 12 April
Speckled Wood 12 April
Speckled Wood 12 April
Speckled Wood 12 April
Holly Blue 12 April
Holly Blue 12 April
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

On my circular exercise walks over the long weekend, I noticed my first female Orange Tip of the year, with a couple of very interested males in the vicinity. One male obliged by staying still just long enough for me to snap him with my point-and-click.
Attachments
Male and female OT: 10th April
Male and female OT: 10th April
Male OT feeding on Lady's Smock: 11th April
Male OT feeding on Lady's Smock: 11th April
David M

Post by David M »

Medard wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:02 am...At the moment with the uncertainty of life and the prospect of seeing the pearly gates with the cursed coronavirus  hanging over us all I am drinking up my best vintages whilst I can, the thought of the undertaker and pall bearers profiting doesn’t appeal to me, Some twenty years ago travelling in the Gers I succumbed to the temptation of purchasing a ten year old bottle of Armagnac, it’s never been opened, No doubt learned folk that we hear daily on the radio will scoff at the ideal of it being an antidote for the virus but I intend to give it a go.Cheers.
Good for you, Jim, and hear hear to that.

It's not there for show, after all. Get stuck in. Those Grison's await once you get through this. :D
David M

Post by David M »

Stevieb wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:16 amA couple of visitors to the garden yesterday.
Bit of an unusual one, that Holly Blue, Stevie. Almost bereft of black spots on the unh.
The Doc

Post by The Doc »

After strictly obeying stay home rules other than going out to our private paddocks to care for the horses I've come down with tonsillitis! Still it allowed me to watch the small sun trap back garden today. Had Large White, Small White and Orange-tip. I'm happy with that :D
Attachments
Orange-tip PB Best 2892.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

The Doc wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:23 pm..I'm happy with that.
Quite rightly, Doc. I have Orange Tips all over the damp common near me but I've never had any visiting my garden flowers. :mrgreen:
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Last year OrangeTips laid on my garden Sweet Rocket (aka Dame's Violet). You should grow some David. Easy from seeds (which you can buy online).

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:46 am Last year OrangeTips laid on my garden Sweet Rocket (aka Dame's Violet). You should grow some David. Easy from seeds (which you can buy online)
Too late now, Jack. With my bowles mauve seemingly in its death throes it'll be next year before I get chance to do something (garden centres all closed currently).

I've tried honesty before but even that didn't bring any in. :(
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

David. PM me with your address and I'll send you three Bowles Mauve cutting when you are ready. I'll wrap in something like damp kitchen towel/toilet paper and put in a plastic bag. They should reach you within a day of posting. I'll throw in some Sweet Rocket seeds and a pinch of rooting powder if you like, so careful when you open the outer envelope. Let me know when you're ready to receive.

Jack
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

On the 14th of April last year ,we visited Samphire Ho! near Dover ,and recorded Clouded Yellow ,Green Hairstreak ,Dingy
Skipper ,and our first (2) Small Coppers of 19' + 30+ Early Spider Orchids ………………. Alas ,not to be this year ,and like everybody else ,I,m restricted to my one hour (ish !) daily exercise walk ,while i'm furloughed . Done pretty well so far ,around the local footpaths ,which I must confess ,I rarely use
normally , good numbers of Orange-Tip ,Holly Blue and Speckled woods ……….i'm currently on ten species ,on my " new " local patch and I reckon that by the end of the season ,the total should be up to around twenty (maybe two or three more ……..with a bit of luck !).
Heres a few shots from my exercise walks .
P1120831.JPG
Laying female o-tip  with Brassica Shield bug.
Laying female o-tip with Brassica Shield bug.
P1120867.JPG
Thought I,d post this shot as well ,she,s obviously not well versed on the countryside code ! and to make things worse ………..there were sheep
in the field !
P1120905.JPG
Regards Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

C'mon, Allan. You staged that last shot, didn't you?
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

I guarantee ,I absolutely did not stage that shot David …………….That is exactly how I found it !
Another little situation that I also witnessed a couple of days back …………………. I came through the kissing gates opposite the ones pictured ,and onto the main farm track ,a lady walked past me (and the kissing gates ) probably about twenty metres or so ,and then proceeded to clamber over the fence ,to the footpath on the other side(to avoid touching the gates ,I suppose ) !...…………. couldn't believe it ,add to this ,the amount of dog walkers ,that go to the trouble of clearing up after their dogs ,and then throwing the bags of c@@p down by a convenient gatepost ,couldn't bring myself to take a picture of at least four multi coloured bags of c@@p in one spot …………………...then people wonder why farmers / landowners get fed up ! sadly the few ,spoiling things for the majority ! regards Allan.W.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

I don't know why but I always find photos with photobombing, like that being done by the Brassica Shield Bug, really cute and really funny.
David M

Post by David M »

Allan.W. wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:11 pm I guarantee ,I absolutely did not stage that shot David …………….That is exactly how I found it !
Another little situation that I also witnessed a couple of days back …………………. I came through the kissing gates opposite the ones pictured ,and onto the main farm track ,a lady walked past me (and the kissing gates ) probably about twenty metres or so ,and then proceeded to clamber over the fence ,to the footpath on the other side(to avoid touching the gates ,I suppose ) !...…………. couldn't believe it ,add to this ,the amount of dog walkers ,that go to the trouble of clearing up after their dogs ,and then throwing the bags of c@@p down by a convenient gatepost ,couldn't bring myself to take a picture of at least four multi coloured bags of c@@p in one spot …………………...then people wonder why farmers / landowners get fed up ! sadly the few ,spoiling things for the majority ! regards Allan.W.
Indeed, Allan. It's amazing what we humans can do! Makes no sense really.

I bet you haven't shown your missus that image though! :lol:
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

David M wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:23 am
Jack Harrison wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:46 am Last year OrangeTips laid on my garden Sweet Rocket (aka Dame's Violet). You should grow some David. Easy from seeds (which you can buy online)
Too late now, Jack. With my bowles mauve seemingly in its death throes it'll be next year before I get chance to do something (garden centres all closed currently).

I've tried honesty before but even that didn't bring any in. :(
I collected garlic mustard seeds a few years back, propagated them and planted them out in the garden. All very easy to do and they have spread well - perhaps too well, now. The Orange-tips were breeding on them last year and have been taking an interest in them this year.

The plant has been rather less successful in its secondary role as an emergency condiment. Wild garlic from the nearby woods has been far better.
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:38 am David. PM me with your address and I'll send you three Bowles Mauve cutting when you are ready. I'll wrap in something like damp kitchen towel/toilet paper and put in a plastic bag. They should reach you within a day of posting. I'll throw in some Sweet Rocket seeds and a pinch of rooting powder if you like, so careful when you open the outer envelope. Let me know when you're ready to receive.
PM sent, Jack. Many thanks.
Medard

Post by Medard »

https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/
As a landowner who had to contend with the behaviour that you describe, my home paddock situated in the centre of the village has a footpath running though it , I can confirm your observations Allan, I was constantly having to remonstrate with inconsiderate dog walkers, this lead to many altercations that I could have done without, some of our citizens are very quick to remind the land owner of their rights but have no understanding of the landowners rights and responsibilities.

There is a cheep and simple solution to the gate problem, a spring fitted to the gates acts as a self closer may be the ansew, perhaps a word with the land owner, or the local authority would be happy to help.We are no longer the owners, a result of downsizing, age and circumstances.but now free from the hassle of a .selfish minded public.
Latch gate spring 2.JPG
Autum leaves in the paddock.
Autum leaves in the paddock.
[!...…………. couldn't believe it ,add to this ,the amount of dog walkers ,that go to the trouble of clearing up after their dogs ,and then throwing the bags of c@@p down by a convenient gatepost ,couldn't bring myself to take a picture of at least four multi coloured bags of c@@p in one spot …………………...then people wonder why farmers / landowners get fed up ! sadly the few ,spoiling things for the majority ! regards Allan.W./quote]
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Today on my little walk up to my local wood I spotted something a bit special, I knew as soon as I spotted it on the path. Unfortunately it was beside a peacock that decided to fly and it was soon high up on a tree. Both recorders from Cambs-Essex branch have agreed it's a large tortoiseshell, I had thought scarce initially
LargeTortoiseshell 150420.jpg
Nice to get a new butterfly
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

That's fantastic, Rosalyn. And great to know they're up here in East Anglia and not just down on the coast. I agree it is a large tortoiseshell not a scarce tortoiseshell - and all the better for that in my opinion. To see the restoration of this magnificent, once native insect would be fantastic.

Yours looks like a battle-worn male, adopting the classic head-down position on a tree trunk. I hope it has met others.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Sightings”