Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Goldie M

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Goldie your garden is certainly producing the goods - you've got two species there that I haven't seen yet - Large White and a Green-veined from Tuesday :D :mrgreen: Looks like we're in for a run of reasonable weather so hopefully you'll pick up a few more species - fingers crossed for a lost Grizzlie turning up in the rockery :wink: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks so much Neil and Wurzel, let's hope they keep coming :D

It looks like I made a boob on Tuesday Wurzel, :oops: :oops: my Small White, was a Green Veined White :oops: I was so pleased to see a White, ( excuse ) :lol: I bet you've got an Orange Tip though which I haven't yet. :D

I don't know why they keep going on the flowers Neil, because they never stay on the flowers too long but just long enough for me to get a shot, ( thank goodness ) :D Goldie :D
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Goldie, you are doing better than me for butterflies in the garden.

Your white from 7th April is definitely a Green-veined White (some of the black edging on the back of the fore wing is triangular in shape). The identity of the white on the magnolia today is less clear-cut because the black markings are more diffuse, but it could also be a Green-veined White (which would explain why you thought it was a female Orange-tip when it flew in).

Stay safe,
Vince
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Vince, I did wonder about the smallness of that Butterfly in the Magnolia, it looks like I'll have to change it's name again :oops: :lol: I should have known the one on the 7th was GVW but I was to eager for a Small White. :lol: Goldie :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some unusual shots there Goldie - your garden is a magnet for both range and numbers of butterflies. Looking forward to seeing the next lot later.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Pauline, I'm waiting with bated breath for your post's :lol:

Today was a funny day to start with, cold wind, high cloud, I thought at the time I'd be lucky to see many Butterflies.

In the afternoon the Sun was stronger but the Butterflies didn't appear, then all at once a Small White nipped over the fence and landed on the BM :D I hope this time I've got the right Species :lol: ( I can't go to Spec saver's :lol: )

A bit later A Small Tort landed on the house wall took some Sun then shot off again and that was it for today, I did have some company though, Woody took over, and the Gold Finch who! usually take off at the least movement stayed while I took some shots :lol: Take care everyone. Goldie :D
Attachments
62D6EF1D-D458-4173-9AF4-13E3C20D3AD1.jpeg
313245AF-BDA7-4DAF-88D0-5B400CE0543A.jpeg
76CCE6C4-A716-4779-935F-222343097020.jpeg
B527B7C7-B3D7-4E55-804D-D9ABA9D73D1D.jpeg
8D8ECA46-6656-43D5-A6BF-F9577F47E449.jpeg
4D529DE8-3FAF-4A6D-B8B2-D1872C3E5874.jpeg
1884343C-6F5C-4185-9ADD-4274A2108410.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Definitely a Small White that one, Goldie! The ever-reliable Bowles Mauve works its magic again. :)

Looks like another sunny warm day tomorrow too.

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

No trip to Specsavers needed yet Goldie :D Love the shot of the basking Small Tort - it looks like it trying (very unsuccessfully) to blend into the brickwork :wink: :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Excellent, Goldie. How long has your bowles mauve been flowering? Mine still isn't out despite an extremely benign winter.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank's everybody for your posts, I wouldn't like to be without at least one BM in the Garden Dave although the Butterflies have fancied the Grape Hyacinth more up to now :D

Hi! Wurzel I was surprised the Small Tort landed on the brickwork and not on a flower :D

Hi! David, at the end of the year I cut the Bowles Mauve right down, for some reason it started to recover and even got a few flower heads, I suppose it was because the weather was mild, the flowers didn't get any bigger but gradually has Spring approached they started to grow and open up, I have one that hasn't survived but I take cuttings and can replace it with one I've grown in a pot. :D

Today was a slow day for Butterflies but a round 2pm two came at once a Small Tort and a Peacock, I was pleased to get shots of both because after that I saw four Peacocks that flew straight through the garden, also two whites which were so quick I couldn't
even Identify them ,followed by two more Small Tort's who were also in a hurry :D

Later a Peacock made a landing on the back of my pot Elephant before taking off like a jet plane :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
7208EC5B-3140-455B-9186-59F59181261B.jpeg
73BB7D15-1E91-44FB-8C05-4D90A7C9B7EB.jpeg
298B592C-F9A4-4EED-BCF6-DEAB62DCDAC9.jpeg
096D271F-31F0-468B-B6DF-F2A32420E814.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Smashing shot of the Small Tort Goldie :D and I really like the way that it looks like the Peacock is riding the Elephant :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Glad you like my Elephant Wurzel, :D It 's eyes and trunk used to light up with the Sun's rays but I guess the Bulbs have gone :roll: Another thing to buy when we're back to normal :D Stay safe,Goldie :D
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Hi Goldie, that Peacock on the pink tulip is beautiful! :D And you have seen a Small White already - more importantly, managed to photograph one :mrgreen: :lol: . I think I saw one today but it never settled. Have a good Easter. Janet
David M

Post by David M »

That Peacock on the stone elephant is comical, Goldie.

Fair made me smile. :D
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I wish I had a garden like yours Goldie, it would make the current situation infinitely more tolerable!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks everybody for your posts,
Hi! Janet, I've had a few Small White in the garden but most have shot through, I think in the coming days they'll more, I'd three in today but only managed the one shot :D

It does look like it's having a ride David, it's funny how they choose the thing's to land on :lol:

Hi! Bugboy, I'd hate to be without mine right now, I've spent the last few days in it from Lunch to tea, I feel sorry for the people who live in flats my Grandson being one of them is finding it hard. :roll:

I was in the Garden all day today, one of the slowest as far has the Butterflies were concerned, but I did manage to see and photograph three Peacocks and one Small White, no Small Tort's today though, the Gardens been a god send since we've not been able to move but then so has the weather, I've done no house work at all, time to do that and keep occupied when the weather turns rubbish again. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
CAFE5E73-DF52-4730-ABC4-032A1D39B1F5.jpeg
4D002051-AF6A-420D-BE15-95EF62FA9C6E.jpeg
CBD59A0C-572F-43C3-A2D5-E979779DE178.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That sounds like a plan Goldie "time to do that and keep occupied when the weather turns rubbish again" :D I was gettign a bit nervous about having all this free time and not being able to go anywhere as I was expecting my wife to suddenly produce the list of jobs that I never get the time to do :? The up side of Lockdown is that the places I need to buy the paint, polish, sandpaper etc from are all shut :D 8) Keep enjoying the garden and stay safe!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, the weather's changing fast here, it's very warm but quite Murky so I made a cake and finally did some cleaning :lol: I hope your all keeping well and safe , I bet your wife wishes she'd got some stuff in before all this happened :lol:
I saw a Small White in the garden earlier but it shot over the fence, that's been it so far today. :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:08 pm...the Gardens been a god send since we've not been able to move but then so has the weather, I've done no house work at all, time to do that and keep occupied when the weather turns rubbish again.
It's been a godsend to many of us too, Goldie. :)

Like you say, it must be awful for those living in flats, particularly in the bigger cities. Worse still when you're living through the sunniest first half of April that I can ever remember and you just want to be outdoors. :(
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, thanks for your post :D My family seem to be doing loads of Jig Saws to pass the time :D they've even sent me one :lol: I'm looking forward to it arriving but the weather is supposed to get warmer again so I'll be in and out of the house, should pass the time on. :D Keep Safe Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”