David M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: David M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic finds David, you've encouraged me to go out this week-end, hope fully in the Sun :D It's started to rain here, it should do the Garden good ready for week-end :D Love the Orange Tip :mrgreen: :D Goldie :D
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Lovely photos David and it was nice to get some perspective with some photos of your walk. I think my favourite photo was the Peacock in the sand. The Comma on the tree a close second.

Knowing that certain species are out is handy for others to know and, in my case, knowing what some actually look like with wings closed is helpful too ! I bought this (link below) the other day which will help. It was recommended to me.

http://www.buckinghampress.co.uk/britis ... flies.html
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, both. Yes, the next few days are a good time to be getting out and seeing up to a dozen different species.

Saturday 4th April 2020 - First Speckled Wood....

A trip to Lower Kilvey Hill, where few people go walking, gave me an opportunity to see my first Speckled Woods of 2020. In the event, I only found one, along this historically reliable semi shaded corridor:
1LKH(1).jpg
I actually spotted it after another walker went by and disturbed it. Like most Specklie males though, we wasn't going to desert his territory and he soon came back to the same spot:
1SpWd2(1).jpg
1SpWd1(1).jpg
trevor

Post by trevor »

It's always good to see the first Speckled Wood of the year.
Later on, when numbers have increased, they become a pain
by sending up the butterfly about to be photographed.

This morning I saw two long lasting Specklie duels, caused no doubt
by an intruder invading another's territory or air space.

Keep well,
Trevor.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

No sign of anything but overwinterers up here in the hills, but then again the blackthorn is not yet properly out. Peacocks are doing well in these parts.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It looks really nice in those woods David, glad you got your Speckie shots , the weather here turned out to be awful, the clouds hid the Sun for two days with the exception of one hour and we'd a cold wind to boot. :roll: Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, all. I'm confident that with this week's mild forecast Orange Tips and Speckled Woods will be emerging everywhere.

Saturday 4th April 2020 cont - Almost double figures....

My walk up lower Kilvey Hill to find Speckled Woods might have only turned up one, but I was pleasantly surprised at the range of species that were flying.

First to greet me was a male Holly Blue, whilst half a dozen Brimstones and a couple of Commas were seen too. I also saw my first Large White of 2020, though he simply would not stop even though all he did was fly up and down the lower slope.

I jumped over the wall into Dan-y-Graig cemetery and noticed a Peacock basking on one of the graves amongst the copious cuckoo-flower:
1PckCF(1).jpg
A solitary Small Tortoiseshell was observed, as well as a couple of Small Whites, including my first female of the year.

This location doesn't tend to attract Orange Tips, so I was surprised to see a male as I was on my way down Kilvey Hill. Whilst walking round the cemetery, I saw another and noticed that he'd stopped flying. The cloud had covered the sun and it was quite cool so I quickly walked over to the patch of cuckoo-flower where I'd seen him come down:
1OTuns2(1).jpg
As the cloud thinned, he slowly came back to life:
1OTuns(1).jpg
1OTups2(1).jpg
1OTups1(1).jpg
In certain sheltered spots, the bluebells are already out:
1Bluebells(1).jpg
I returned to my car and took this image of Swansea looking towards Mumbles Head:
1SwBay(1).jpg
As I turned round, I noticed another Orange Tip fluttering close by. It was about to go cloudy again, and he very helpfully decided to rest on a primrose leaf at ground level:
1OTnbr2(1).jpg
Spring definitely in full swing now!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Wonderful Orange Tip images, David. I'd be happy with any of those. :mrgreen:

Keep safe and well,
Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots David, I'd be happy with Just one photo of an Orange Tip :mrgreen: :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, both. Stay patient. There are plenty of OTs on the way! :)
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Nice photos David. Thank you for sharing. I concur, I also want a Holly Blue and an Orange Tip.
David M

Post by David M »

I'm sure Holly Blues & Orange Tips are imminent for you, Otep. :)

Tuesday 7th April 2020 - Wall of Blue.....

I took a long lunch today and went over to Cwm Ivy again. It was deserted, unsurprisingly, although the glade where all the butterflies are is always devoid of people, although today it was full of Holly Blues.

A handful of Brimstones were about (10-ish) and around half a dozen Speckled Woods:
1SPWd2(1).jpg
1SpckWd(1).jpg
Eight Orange Tips were seen, including this individual who was posing at such an angle that the sunlight was reflecting off the left half and causing the underside mottling to show through on the right half:
1OT(1).jpg
The blackthorn still isn’t quite at its peak; I reckon another 4 to 5 days:
1Blackthorn(1).jpg
There were around half a dozen Peacocks and a couple of Commas buzzing around, but by far the commonest species was Holly Blue, which must have numbered 40 or so. This spot had around a dozen swirling around the sunlit area by the ivy clad tree trunks:
1HBhabitat(1).jpg
Practically all were males, and in between their dogfights they willingly came to rest and basked:
1HBmale1(1).jpg
However, it was females that I had come to search for, and I managed to find this little stunner in a quiet corner:
1HBfem2(1).jpg
I was surprised at how much more light was reflected off the hindwings than the forewings. I took a risk and cast my shadow over her for a more even image:
1HBfem1(1).jpg
The only other species was a White, which could possibly have been my first Green Veined White of the year, but it remained airborne and I couldn’t get close enough.

After leaving, I took a different road out and couldn’t resist taking an image of this lovely view overlooking Whiteford Burrows:
1Panorama(1).jpg
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Lovely photos David and the jealousy is still there for me. Another day and still no sightings. I am quite close to declaring them extinct in my area. :cry:
trevor

Post by trevor »

Beautiful Holly Blue shots. David. The female is posing perfectly.
You have also captured the intense blue of both sexes.

Great stuff, stay well,
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, both.

Keep trying. Holly Blues are seemingly scarce....until you find their perfect habitat! They can be surprisingly accommodating when they're in the mood. :)
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots David, I always have a tussle with Holly Blues especially when they come into the Garden, your's are lovely. Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

It helps when you find a location where Holly Blues are incredibly numerous, Goldie. Sadly, there are few gardens which host these numbers which is why they remain difficult to observe.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Envy-inducing shots of the Holly Blue David - reminiscent of the luminescence on the Adonis. Way too modest tho- - real skill in getting shots like that.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Pauline. In spite of how common they are, getting Holly Blues (particularly females) to behave is extremely difficult.

Thankfully, not far from where I live is the best spot I've ever known for this species, and if you have exceedingly good numbers in a small area then photo opportunities are bound to arise.
millerd

Post by millerd »

You're right, David - having a lot of Holly Blues to choose from really does enhance the chances of getting shots as good as yours are. :) I generally find the best opportunities for getting good photos of females are when they are laying. They tend to take a breather between bouts and will often bask while doing so. Both sexes will also bask open-winged when the weather is cooler and there is sun with passing cloud. You can stand for a long time next to a butterfly waiting for the sun to pop out again... :)

Cheers,

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”