David M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Andrew/Old Wolf. Yes, it's been a long time coming (we're usually quite 'early' round here due to our proximity to the warm coast), but the lack of sunshine and regular gales has hampered things in 2020.

Monday 16th March 2020 – A ray of light in dark times….

Even in a ‘normal’ year I would have been desperate for a spring butterfly after a 4 month+ hiatus, but with each passing day bringing ever more worrying news regarding Covid-19, rarely have I ever been in such need of a boost to my spirits.

An hour’s walk around the green areas adjacent to my workplace provided just that, as three Commas were seen, the first popping up in a reliable spot on the south side of the goods railway embankment:
1Comma1a(1).jpg
1Comma1b(1).jpg
A further one was seen flying energetically over a hedgerow before the last was located at another known ‘hotspot’ for this species:
1SV1(1).jpg
This sheltered stretch is a bit of a microclimate and it was no surprise to see this little fellow holding territory there:
1Comma2(1).jpg
trevor

Post by trevor »

The Comma does not tend to get much attention as the season progresses,
but at the start we really look forward to them, as a sign that the new season has started.
Your specimens are all in good condition, many around here have suffered the ravages of Winter.

Stay safe,
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Trevor. Yes, I agree we rather neglect Commas, except for at the beginning/end of the season and when the hutchinsonis emerge in June.

Fascinating butterflies though, and their territorial antics are always a pleasure to observe.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, everybody seems to be seeing the Coma but me :roll: love your shots :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:12 pmHi! Dave, everybody seems to be seeing the Coma but me :roll: love your shots
Thanks, Goldie. Don't worry, Commas will appear on your patch in due course. I still haven't seen a Brimstone and we're beyond the equinox (must check to see when that last happened).
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, finally got my Comma today with an added Bonus :lol: Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:00 pm Hi! David, finally got my Comma today with an added Bonus :lol: Goldie :D
Saw it, Goldie, on your PD!! Well done. Many more to follow, I'm sure.
David M

Post by David M »

Monday 16th March 2020 - Bonus butterfly....

Having seen the Commas, I extended my lunch break and drove round to the other side of my workplace to the riverbank where I regularly see early season Small Tortoiseshells:
1SV2(1).jpg
In a normal season, I tend to do this during the first week of March, so I'm not used to seeing quite so many celandines adorning the steep banks. Thankfully, there was a solitary Tortoiseshell busily nectaring away:
1SmTort(1).jpg
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Lovely photos David. I was interested to read that lepidopterists tend to neglect Commas. Whilst I have not seen many butterfly species to date, I would class them as my favourite so far.
David M

Post by David M »

Otep wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:42 am Lovely photos David. I was interested to read that lepidopterists tend to neglect Commas. Whilst I have not seen many butterfly species to date, I would class them as my favourite so far.
Thanks, Otep. Yes, Commas aren't given the attention they deserve. Their behaviour is both interesting and entertaining compared to lots of other species. They're also fairly easy to approach and photograph; very obliging in the sense that they will hold territories and keep returning to the same area even when you are present in their air space.
David M

Post by David M »

Sunday 22nd March 2019 - The joy of spring.....

It had been a long time, but finally we got a mild, sunny, calm day. The butterflies seemed even more grateful for it than I, as Cwm Ivy was teeming with them.

Brimstones were dashing up and down the woodland ride and over the dunes. This male paused to rest though:
1Brimmale(1).jpg
I lost count of them within half an hour, but I'd estimate there were between 30 and 50 in the two and a quarter hours I was there.

All were males, except for this demure little lady:
1Brimfemale(1).jpg
There were plenty of Peacocks and Commas too. I reckon 15-20 Peacocks:
1Peacock1(1).jpg
1Peacock2(1).jpg
...about a dozen Commas were defending territories:
1Comma(1).jpg
This sheltered dip harboured 3 Peacocks and 2 Commas, and aerial jousts were continual:
1CwmIvy(1).jpg
Here's a view over the bay towards Llanelli:
1WhitefordBurrows(1).jpg
A male Holly Blue popped up too which was something of a surprise, although a resident Comma chased him away before I could get an image.

The cobwebs have been fully dusted away! :)
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Sounds and looks lovely, David. There are some advantages to the current ‘stay at home’ scenario!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love your Brimstone's David, Next on my list if possible, I must look out for the Holly Blues as well :D trust the Comma to chase it off , the Comma I saw was chasing the Tort's and the Peacocks :lol: Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, both. At this time of year, we all generally keep close to home. The species one needs to travel to see come later in April and through May so fingers crossed we have these restrictions lifted within a month or so.
David M

Post by David M »

Wednesday 25th March 2020 - Surreal outing.....

Butterflying shouldn't be an activity fraught with apprehension but having requested (and been given) a 3 hour lunch break I wasn't 100% sure whether I'd successfully reach my destination due to the authorities stopping people from visiting local Gower beauty spots.

Cwm Ivy and Whiteford Burrows are certainly beautiful, but on a week day they don't attract crowds, and thankfully my progress there was unhindered.

Although it was warmer than Sunday, there were fewer butterflies about, however Brimstones still numbered two dozen or so and were the commonest species.

I saw about half a dozen Commas, but they were eclipsed by Peacocks, which numbered around 15:
1Peacock(1).jpg
Most pleasing though were the numbers of Holly Blues. I saw one fleetingly on 22nd, but this time I counted 11, all of which were males. None were prepared to settle wings open, so I had to make do with an underside:
1HollyBlue(1).jpg
This area here is a real hotspot for them:
1CwmIvyGlade(1).jpg
I took a walk round the dunes and saw a White flying about. I kept tabs on it and it came down in long grass. A record shot proved it to be a Small White:
1SmWhiteuns(1).jpg
It then took off and settled on the wrong side of a barbed wire fence:
1SmWhiteups(1).jpg
I still had nearly an hour so I walked via this route back to the woodland glade:
1CwmIvy(1).jpg
Whilst watching the antics of the resident Commas & Peacocks, another White caught my eye. It was a distance away and at first I assumed it was another Small White. However, it was fluttering rather too weakly for rapae so I followed it and was surprised to find it was actually a female Orange Tip:
1OTfemups(1).jpg
1OTfemuns(1).jpg
The same thing happened last March too at this site; my first OT was a female, but unlike then, this time I did not see any males afterwards, so this delightful little lady was able to enjoy at least one unmolested day of life! Little does she know! :twisted:
trevor

Post by trevor »

A couple of very notable sightings there, David.
Your local Holly Blues are ahead of my local hotspot, nothing yet.
And a female Orange Tip already must be near a record. Again
nothing around here up to today. Lovely images.

Your exercising has paid dividends!.

Keep safe and well,
Trevor.
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Hello David, that is a lot of Peacocks and Brimstone you have around your way :D I am only seeing ones and if lucky twos at the moment.

I do love an Orange Tip and your images of them are great. I am looking forward to when they start appearing round my way. I have earmarked a couple of locations that I reckon will be good and can't wait to see if they are :D
Old Wolf.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

David - great counts of Butterflies on that walk of yours. Also a Holly Blue! I must keep check for them. Not seen one in our garden as yet but they usually visit us at some point in Spring.
Ernie F
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A great selection of butterflies there from your local spots David and some great photos.

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, all. Yes, OT season is underway and I expect numbers to seriously build over the next week or so. Let's hope we can all grab a handful.

Return to “Personal Diaries”