Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Goldie M

Post by Wurzel »

It can't be long now Goldie - I think the high pressure is supposed to be holding into next week and the wind is supposed to be a bit lighter so keep checking :D Lovely sunset images, don't forget "Red Sky in the morning Shepherds' warning, Red Sky at night Shepherds' hut is on fire" :shock: :lol: Stay safe up there.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

HI! essex and Wurzel, guess what! I actually got my Comma today and as an added bonus I saw two Small Tort's and got some shots of both :D

I decided ( after wandering about the Garden aimlessly ) to go to Hall-Lee-Brook, the Day was superb, light wind, full sunshine, it was a shame to sit at home. I cleaned my Green House out ready for getting busy in there, ( I'd not bothered with it for years ) now we're to be careful, I thought " it's time to grow some thing at home". I took a mask with me just in case I met up with somebody who was intent on getting too close :lol:
I opened the gate to HLB and immediately disturbed a Comma :D this Comma was very light in colour compared to the next one I saw further along the lane, this one was chasing off a Small Tort, who was ignoring it and coming back constantly to perch :D
All in all I saw two Small Tort's and three Comma's , I'd got some fresh air, had a natter at a good distance from a woman walking her dog , I was well satisfied and if I can keep doing this and stay careful the time should pass okay.( hope everybody stays well)
Goldie :D
Attachments
DB9E5383-0A5D-4B51-8F01-BE8D0AF0AAA5_1_201_a.jpeg
5B0D992B-FE61-4158-A908-842E00564806_1_201_a.jpeg
5B0D992B-FE61-4158-A908-842E00564806_1_201_a.jpeg (63.71 KiB) Viewed 430 times
63944AE6-EC4F-412E-A299-6FB37AC551FB_1_201_a.jpeg
942E3316-0E54-4B55-BA07-FEF1F9237AE3_1_201_a.jpeg
E9F21F4E-42FD-4D39-986A-B75B654E9A6E_1_201_a.jpeg
184DF78B-DE4C-45CC-AF12-CA50EB6DC9A6_1_201_a.jpeg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Congratulations Goldie, I’m delighted for you. Provided you keep your distance, and have enough food, you should should get out and enjoy. Stay safe.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Well done Goldie, an excellent haul there :) . Stay safe and away from people up there!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

You've got off to a start in style, Goldie. Good to see Small Tortoiseshells appearing
in our diaries. I can't see a problem with going out into the countryside on our own,
and giving a wide berth to anyone we may meet.
Mind you we can't do the same when we go Shopping!!.

Keep safe,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Goldie :D Lovely looking Commas and Torts 8) :mrgreen: I too was out today and experienced similar conditions - if everyone stays sensible then we're in with a shot at most staying healthy and still being able to get out and about. But if the Muppets take over then we'll end up in Lockdown :? :( Stay safe :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Well done, Goldie. I knew it wouldn't take you long to nail down that Comma.

Let's hope we can avoid a general lockdown, although there are idiots out there that carry on with their default behaviour in spite of the seriousness of the situation, so I'm not confident that we'll manage to do this.

The worst thing is that any lockdown could very well coincide with the emergence of Orange Tips. :( :(

That would be an awful thing indeed.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks for your posts Guy's, it was great to see them at last, I was so enthralled when I saw the first Comma that I just stood there watching it, :D Luckily for me it settled down again :D

I went to have the car MOT to day, what a carry on!!! It didn't need doing really until April but I thought if they closed every thing down I wouldn't get it done. It's also I thought a way of getting out, even if you drive some where and have to sit in the car you can always wind down the windows get a change of scenery and take a few sandwiches and a flask and I was determined to get it done.

I sat for about an hour on my own in there office, the receptionist disappeared ( which I was glad of) the car past it's MOT but it would wouldn't it :roll: It spent nearly all last year on the drive. :roll: and it looks like I won't do much mileage this year :roll:

On my way back I talked through the window to my neighbour who advised me to wipe every where they'd touched it with disinfectant, wise words but where to start :D I took the advise but I'd to laugh at myself with all the water and cloth's etc :D better to be safe than sorry!!!!

I do hope David we get to see the Orange Tip, it's always to me the High light of the year, take care everybody, let's hope the morons don't get us shut down. Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Glad to see you got your Commas and Small Toroiseshells Goldie :D Just the thing to lift the spirit in these trying times.

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:08 pm...I do hope David we get to see the Orange Tip, it's always to me the High light of the year, take care everybody, let's hope the morons don't get us shut down.
Yes, Goldie, a year without Orange Tips is just too awful to contemplate. Still, for the time being at least, we are allowed out once per day for 'exercise'. With any luck, OTs will emerge en masse soon due to the current sunny weather and we can all get our fix.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for your post's Neil and David, If the weather keeps like it is now the time will soon pass, although they've said it's got to change once more going cooler.

I'd a fantastic day today in the Garden, the weather was lovely and the Butterflies took advantage by coming out in force, I counted up to ten Peacocks, some stayed some didn't, I also saw a Small White which passed through hurriedly , hope fully they'll be out again tomorrow :D

The Tortoiseshells were also in the garden ,what a day :D I did decide to take a walk to HLB, where I once again saw a Comma, four more Tort's and lot's of Peacock Butterflies, it was great watching all these butterflies flying a round :D

I had a Peacock in the garden that looked strange, I put it down to being weather worn and yet it's wings looked quite fresh, I hope tomorrow is just as great :D Goldie :D
Attachments
9E1EBE8F-B45B-4BD0-B93A-F904E5A06D4B.jpeg
71055C12-BD28-454D-B909-4C077C3D0E75.jpeg
33709B7D-2AFD-4AFC-9977-CBFA39C832DE.jpeg
0EEAA60D-6380-4131-B489-24AE8F94A451.jpeg
99667967-4C35-4226-8F52-F1559CC9215E.jpeg
4F165874-99B7-4937-8897-9125871E4C69_1_201_a.jpeg
E8CE2C80-AC71-4C5E-A129-7915FE048ABF.jpeg
74631512-77B9-4C97-BBA9-C98236912455_1_201_a.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:30 pm....I'd a fantastic day today in the Garden, the weather was lovely and the Butterflies took advantage by coming out in force...
Sure looks like it, Goldie. :)

These adult hibernators will disperse soon, but at the moment they're greedily feeding-up after a long spell of inactivity.

Make the most of it and good luck with the Small Whites! 8)
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a lovely selection, Goldie. I think you've had it warmer up there the last couple of days than down here, which has brought those butterflies out in force. Very envious of so many Small Tortoiseshells, especially. :) :mrgreen:

Dave
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Hello Goldie, I hope you are well and glad to see things are getting going.

Like you, the recent circumstances have made me think about the need to grow some food. People panic buying has really driven the point home for me of how comfortably reliant I have become on there being a ready supply of what I want. As soon as this is taken away then where does this leave me? Wouldn't be such a a problem if I was more self sufficient.
Old Wolf.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, the Butterflies really dispersed today, although the weather was still warm I only saw a few, I still got some shots though
:lol: never saw a White though, looks like I'll have to wait a while yet :D

Hi! Dave, yes we seem to get a lot of Small Tort's here, it's usually the first Butterfly I see in the Spring every year, the temperature here yesterday helped 18c and just bit cooler today but still warm. :D

Hi! Old Wolf, I used to grow all sorts of stuff but then I stopped for some reason, I think it was when my Husband retired and we started going out more, that's all so when my interest started with the Butterflies, I see you've been catching up with first timer's quite a lot :D your one up on me with the Grizzled Skipper :mrgreen: I was hoping to get that this year but plans are now put on hold for a while. :roll:

I stayed in the Garden today, that's after I washed the car, (got the exercise in for today :lol: ) I did see the Small Tort and the Peacock again but not in such big numbers as yesterday, I can't resist taking shots of them so here's a couple more :D Goldie :D
Attachments
88BA51B3-B34D-49D5-941A-B59E79553CCE_1_201_a.jpeg
D8EF916D-BB69-4319-84CC-A52042003FC5_1_201_a.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Goldie - a lovely set of Peacocks and Small Torts :D I'm ever more envious of your garden now :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Mind you hopefully the Muppets won't ruin it for the rest of us and we can continue our 'daily exercise' :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Those grape hyacinths are a big draw for them, Goldie. I must get some myself for next year.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, many thanks, I'm so glad I've got my garden other wise I think I'd go up the wall :D I'm not sure now if we can still get out,
It's been on the tele not to drive some where for your exercise and the police are now stopping people, I can walk to my local HLB CP but you meet more people when you do this, so I've driven there to avoid this,

Hi! David, yes, they love the Grape Hyacinth I've got them in pots in the ground every where :D The only trouble with them is the fact they spread like mad so you've to keep separating them to get some order :D The Butterflies also love Heather, I've got White Heather in the front Garden which the Small Tort seem to prefer and purple Heather in the Back which the Peacock also enjoys. :D

I took a shot of some of the Grape Hyacinth yesterday :D Goldie :D
Attachments
93D8206A-AEC1-4686-88C0-EB1CB9ABFCE7_1_201_a.jpeg
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Goldie, love your garden. My guess is we shall be seeing a lot more pictures of people's gardens and the butterflies that visit them in people's PD's over the coming weeks.
Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

Looks lovely, Goldie. Thanks for the advice regarding the grape hyacinths. To be honest, they can spread wild for all I care...they're a beautiful and welcome addition to spring.

Return to “Personal Diaries”