March 2020

Discussion forum for sightings.
Jack Harrison

Re: March 2020

Post by Jack Harrison »

That would be a good thread - butterflying at home.

I started a similar idea on a weather group - a rogues’ gallery. This was my mirror photo (after van Gogh, another great artist).
20-03-25-036-Jack.jpg
Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Otep wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:17 pm..Surprisingly there were fewer butterflies out today when I went on my Government permitted daily exercise. There were less Tortoiseshells and Peacocks than yesterday. It made me wonder where they had all gone.
This is normal, Otep. When the adult hibernators first emerge, they make a beeline for nectar sources as they need to feed up after a long period of diapause.

Once they've done that then they disperse somewhat and start looking for mates, which for Commas & Peacocks means setting up territories, whereas for Brimstones it means flying endlessly searching for females.
millerd

Post by millerd »

My first Orange Tip seen yesterday (25th) near Heathrow amidst a plethora of Peacocks, but it played too hard to get for even a blurry in-flight photo. Hoping for more of the same today, before the weather nose-dives into much cooler conditions... :)

Dave
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

This morning:

Identifiably the same individual I photographed in the garden a few days ago. I hope she's found a mate in her wanderings - I haven't seen a male.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

these were taken yesterday near the River Ouse at Offord Darcy, Cambs.
49699860318_b0b7a23129_b.jpg
49700390936_5744a226e5_b.jpg
49699854433_bbf8a569de_b.jpg
49700695197_1b023e248e_b.jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

My first Small White and Orange-tip this afternoon during my lunchtime exercise walk to the local park.

Also increasing numbers of Small Tortoiseshells, Commas and Peacocks.

More details and Photos in due course as usual in my PD.

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Great news, Neil. These last two days have seen things move very quickly.
Sij

Post by Sij »

Two brimstone males, a lot fo small torts and peacocks. Actually the most small torts I've seen in Spring for many years.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Peacocks a pretty much continuous presence in the garden today. Also Comma and Holly Blue, the latter seeming precociously early for these parts.

No Small Tortoiseshells yet! Is anyone else finding them a bit scarce?
David M

Post by David M »

Matsukaze wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:33 pm..No Small Tortoiseshells yet! Is anyone else finding them a bit scarce?
Only seen two myself, Chris, but judging from other people's reports on here, they haven't been in short supply elsewhere.
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

In my now well observed garden, Brimstone, all males, most abundant/obvious, followed by Comma. The odd Peacock has been around for a while, Small Tortoiseshell (2) first seen yesterday. Small White last week. On a permitted excursion 2 days ago, my first Holly Blue. Today Is forecast to be sunny, hopefully Orange Tip and Holly Blue will visit the Garden.
David M

Post by David M »

Wednesday 25 March at Cwm Ivy/Whiteford Burrows on the NW Gower:

Brimstone 20-25
Peacock 12-18
Holly Blue 11
Comma 6-8
Small White 1
Orange Tip (female) 1
1HollyBlue(1).jpg
1SmWhiteuns(1).jpg
1OTfemups(1).jpg
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Small whites now adding to the garden tally in East Suffolk too:

No sign of an orange tip yet, though.

Guy
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Matsukaze wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:33 pm No Small Tortoiseshells yet! Is anyone else finding them a bit scarce?
Reasonably common in South Derbyshire. 32 counted in the last 5 days representing 27% of my butterfly sightings across 4 species. Being a novice that might actually class as being scarce mind you.

Brimstone are not so common my way.

Fantastic photos David. A bit jealous that you have 6 species to observe at present compared to my 4.

Also wonderful photos from Charles and Padfield. Thank you for sharing.

I was delighted to have a little Comma land on my hand today and sit there for about half a minute enabling me to view it closely.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Otep wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:02 pm
Matsukaze wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:33 pm No Small Tortoiseshells yet! Is anyone else finding them a bit scarce?
Reasonably common in South Derbyshire. 32 counted in the last 5 days representing 27% of my butterfly sightings across 4 species. Being a novice that might actually class as being scarce mind you.

Brimstone are not so common my way.
Plenty of Small Tortoiseshells around my local spot this week and it looks like they are leading the way in Warwickshire so far. Brimstones not so common here either.

The below copied from Warwickshire BC Twitter feed.

@BCWarwickshire
Thank you to all who have shared your butterfly sightings this week and recorded them on our website. Let's have a little Twitter poll to see which species you are spotting most of at the moment.
Peacock - 33.3%
Small tortoiseshell - 45.2%
Brimstone - 9.5%
Comma - 11.9%

Cheers,

Neil.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Not just the butterflies - Phyllonorycter quercifoliella, a 6 mm long miner of oak leaves, emerged today.
P3290029.jpg
Attachments
P3290026.jpg
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Otep wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:04 am My interest in butterflies only began in August 2019 and I have just experienced my first butterfly-free winter. It is a long period to get through when you are keen to embrace the hobby. With bright sunshine here in South Derbyshire yesterday I felt that the day would yield my first sighting of the year and so it came to pass. A slightly bewildered looking tortoiseshell flew around my garden a few times.
Welcome, Otep! May you see many butterflies despite the lockdown. Do start a Personal Diary page of your own so that we can enjoy what you find!
Janet
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

March snow on Sunday, then our first speckled wood of the year in the garden (Woodbridge, Suffolk) today, Tuesday.

(Sunday, 29th)

(Tuesday, 31st)

Guy
David M

Post by David M »

Good stuff, Guy (and a highly impressive garden too)!
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Janet Turnbull wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:16 pm
Otep wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:04 am My interest in butterflies only began in August 2019 and I have just experienced my first butterfly-free winter. It is a long period to get through when you are keen to embrace the hobby. With bright sunshine here in South Derbyshire yesterday I felt that the day would yield my first sighting of the year and so it came to pass. A slightly bewildered looking tortoiseshell flew around my garden a few times.
Welcome, Otep! May you see many butterflies despite the lockdown. Do start a Personal Diary page of your own so that we can enjoy what you find!
Janet
Thank you for the welcome Janet. I think I might shy away from a Personal Diary until 2021. I am in awe at the quality of the photographs on the forum and I think I might need to get a camera rather than wander about with my mobile phone as I have been. I need to get to grips with the species and the photography aspect. I would buy a camera now but I am quite strict with myself with regards the word 'essential' in terms of shopping. As a spectator out buying 'essentials' I do enjoy looking at what others in my social distancing queue are buying though.

Return to “Sightings”