Small Skipper - Favourite Photo 2019

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 17

So we continue inextricably towards the end of the Favourite Photos with only four weeks to go until the grand finale :D Once again, this week, we are surrounded by ‘Smalls’… :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Small Skipper - Favourite Photo 2019

Post by bugboy »

A couple of fav pics here, a ovipositing female at Bookham
Small Skipper female ovipositing, Bookham Commons.JPG
and I managed to add this species to my in-cop collection last year too :)
Small Skipper mating, Hadleigh Country Park.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'm afraid the Small Skipper was a bit too quick for me last year, :D I ended up with only a couple of shots and I was disappointed,
until finally I managed the shot's on the cliffs at Dover on the 24th July. Goldie :D
Attachments
1EF088F6-0FCB-4A84-B5C9-7F6473C8CAF2_1_201_a.jpeg
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of planting a patch of lavender in one of the most exposed parts of my garden making photographing visitors challenging. I encountered this individual on an unusually calm day in early July and had rare success, so it is my choice of favourite.
Attachments
Small Skipper (9).JPG
David M

Post by David M »

It's not much to look at, but the appearance of this lively species tells you midsummer is here:
1SmallSk(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Small Skippers, along with the other golden skippers, didn't seem to have such a good year around my patch in 2019, probably as a result of the previous years hot and dry summer. Nevertheless, they still appeared in fair numbers at all the spots I would expect them to.
Small Skipper - Langley Hall 12.07.2019
Small Skipper - Langley Hall 12.07.2019
Small Skipper pair - Langley Hall 12.07.2019
Small Skipper pair - Langley Hall 12.07.2019
As usual, I spent some time trying to confirm ID's between these and Essex Skippers.
Small Skipper - Castle Hills Solihull 21.07.2019
Small Skipper - Castle Hills Solihull 21.07.2019
Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

This species did well on my local patch - that is until the area was abruptly mown flat at the end of July, putting an end to their season and that of the Essex Skipper overnight. Despite plenty of local examples seen before this desecration, the individual that sticks in the mind comes from the many seen down at Durlston Country Park when primarily looking for Lulworths on 20th June. It held its wings unusually flat, providing great views of a brand new male with a rich orange-tan colour.
SS9 200619.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small Skipper

My first Favourite shot for this species came from the briefest of lunchtime forays. I was admiring a female when a male dropped in and without a ‘please or thank you' latched on and started copulating!
DSC_0736 - Copy.JPG
The second came a few days later from Five Rivers. At first I thought this sandy coloured individual was an old and tired Smessex. Closer examination revealed it to be a Small but it wasn’t that worn or tired so I’m wondering if this is an aberrant?
DSC_0858 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Small Skipper”