Janet Turnbull

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Janet Turnbull

Re: Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Wurzel wrote:I visited the Czech Republic a few years ago now and it was fantastic and your report has rekindled my longing to go back
It was a lovely holiday, Wurzel, and I imagine there would be a great variety of butterflies in May.
David M wrote: even QoS pops up here occasionally.
I hadn't realised that David! I wonder if it's a consequence of climate change.

Thank you both for taking the time to comment. I have been very lax about commenting this year and I appreciate your encouragement.
David M

Post by David M »

Janet Turnbull wrote:..I hadn't realised that David! I wonder if it's a consequence of climate change.
Hard to say with this species, Janet. It's quite an infrequent visitor to our shores, although there was a year when there was an influx (2007 if I remember correctly).

I don't think it is strongly migratory, like Clouded Yellows, Long Tailed Blues, etc, so it's unlikely we'll see a huge influx out of all proportion to previous numbers in a particular year, but given that its foodplant is field pansy one wonders what is stopping it from colonising the southernmost areas of the UK.

It does, however, overwinter as an adult, so perhaps this explains why it hasn't yet established itself. Maybe it's just too wet over here?
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Hello Janet,
I have just been catching up with your diary and I see your post about the Scotch Argus. I also saw the later post saying that it is likely to be the result of an introduction.
I spotted a Scotch Argus at our place in the Scottish Borders this summer. I knew of an old record for them in the next valley, but it was over ten years old. Ironically, I had been there the previous weekend on the off chance that Scotch Argus were still there, but despite extensive searching I didn't see any.
I know that Scotch Argus tend to land quite deep down in the grass, so it may be possible for them to discretely live somewhere, unnoticed. However, I am at a loss as to where the one in our garden came from. I can only imagine there is an unrecorded colony close by.
It doesn't sound as though this is the case with yours if it doesn't conform to the markings of the form previously found in the area.
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

NickMorgan wrote: I can only imagine there is an unrecorded colony close by.
It doesn't sound as though this is the case with yours if it doesn't conform to the markings of the form previously found in the area.
Hello Nick, I wonder how far they can be blown away by high winds. Could yours have been blown over from the next valley, asssuming there are some there?
The county recorder informed me that there had been an unofficial reintroduction in Yorkshire - he didn't say exactly where - and the earliest record was 2011. So they're not the original colony unless they have lost their distinctive markings.
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

I've just rediscovered a photo taken in Denmark on 2nd August, of a very yellow butterfly. No idea why I didn't post it at the time, but does anyone have any idea what it is? I thought it might be a fritillary but - as yellow as that?
P1410747 yellow butterfly.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

A slightly over-exposed Queen of Spain, Janet.
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

David M wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:30 pm A slightly over-exposed Queen of Spain, Janet.
Really? That probably explains why I didn't post the picture in the first place :roll: :oops: :lol:
Thanks for taking the trouble to comment, David. Merry Christmas to you!
David M

Post by David M »

Janet Turnbull wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:51 am
David M wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:30 pm A slightly over-exposed Queen of Spain, Janet.
Really? That probably explains why I didn't post the picture in the first place :roll: :oops: :lol:
Thanks for taking the trouble to comment, David. Merry Christmas to you!
My pleasure, Janet. Merry Christmas to you too....and a Happy New Year, of course. :)
Janet Turnbull

First of 2020

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Hello world! I'm out of hibernation and to celebrate, hubby bought me a new camera as my old faithful was beginning to be less reliable, randomly switching itself off and on. So last night I was trying to figure out the basics, used a fair bit of battery and forgot to recharge.
The sun was up this morning and it didn't look too windy so I went out to give my new camera a test drive. I struggled a bit with it at first but eventually learned how to make it focus where it should. There's more to learn but I was reasonably happy with my first attempts. Having managed to capture a mallard, thrush and a goldcrest (a first for me) at Dutton's Pond, and just missing an unidentified golden-brown butterfly I then walked up Fly Ash Hill and back along a sunny, sheltered path, and to my joy, a small tort fluttered down to the warmth of the ground. I got a few shots before the battery ran out, indicating it was time to go home.
P1000036 Mallard incoming.jpg
P1000043 Goldcrest.jpg
P1000052 Song Thrush.jpg
P1000064 Small Tort.jpg
trevor

Post by trevor »

Congrats on two fronts, Janet. Your Goldcrest image is the best I've seen.
They visit my garden but they are always very mobile, and just don't settle!.

Also a sighting of a Small Tortoiseshell around here would very welcome,
they had a bad year in East Sussex last year. Great shot.

Good luck with your new camera,
Trevor.
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

trevor wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:53 pm Congrats on two fronts, Janet.
Trevor.
Thank you Trevor! I struck lucky with the goldcrest but today I've struggled with the focusing. The weather will have sent the newly woken tort back to sleep again I think - no evidence of it today.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to see you back and once more into the fray Janet :D 8) A cracking way to start, I'm with Trevor that is a fantastic image of the Goldcrest :D Yet to see a Small Tort as well so a :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Given that you're a 'novice' with that new camera, Janet, you've managed to capture a particularly fine image of that Goldcrest. I see plenty round my way, but I never bother trying to photograph them as they seem to move constantly in short bursts.

Great you're off the mark for 2020 with a Tortoiseshell as well. I hope I will be reacquainted with this species very soon, weather permitting!
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Two more 'firsts' spotted today. It was only 6 degrees when I went out for a wander round by the river, but it must have got up to 12 degrees in the sheltered parts even with a chill wind. I was actually looking for a wren which was skulking in the undergrowth when a Comma flew up from the ground by my feet. What a shame that would have been to survive the winter storms only to be stepped on. It certainly looked like a survivor - very battered.
A few yards further on I disturbed a Peacock which flew ahead and settled again on the warm path.
P1000469 blended comma.jpg
P1000440 Peacock=s.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Well done Janet, you've seen more than me that's for sure :( I keep looking in the garden but it's been so cold with the East wind's I've not ventured out :) hope fully some will turn up later Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Janet :D It looks like the Peacock chose a better hibernating place than the Comma :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Janet Turnbull wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:00 pm...Two more 'firsts' spotted today. It was only 6 degrees when I went out for a wander round by the river, but it must have got up to 12 degrees in the sheltered parts even with a chill wind.
That's the secret to it at this time of year, Janet! Find a little microclimate and you can be confident that Peacocks, Commas, etc will be around.
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Not to worry Goldie - the weather's picking up now!
Indeed it does, Wurzel - it seems relatively unscathed.
It's surprising how warm it gets, David, once you're out of the wind!
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Well lockdown is here but I managed to escape to Carrington Moss where I saw a total of five people in three hours. (Was I out too long? I didn't notice the time..)
It was gone 10am before I could get out and it was already warm. I was on a mission to photograph a particular fungus but once out I just had to look for butterflies and I was not disappointed. First up was a Brimstone not far from where I'd parked. Then along the road that goes past Man U's training ground (it was pretty crowded on Sunday with cyclists and families out promenading in the sunshine - by contrast, nobody else was there today). There were no butterflies where I expected to see them but along the disused railway I saw 2 Peacocks, another Brimstone and two Small Torts.There was a fight between one Peacock and a Small Tort over a basking spot; The Peacock saw the ST off and settled down but then took off and flew to a better place a few metres away round the bend. The ST immediately came back and took up the spot it had fought for and lost.
P1000638 Brimstone.jpg
P1000653 Small tortoiseshell on pussy willow.jpg
P1000657 Small tort.jpg
P1000676 Peacock=s.jpg
The Buzzard circled silently overhead and I just happened to look up as I tracked the Peacock.
P1000647 Buzzard.jpg
And the fungus? A Birch Polypore.
P1000644 Birch polypore - cal=s.jpg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Good to see you are getting out, and seeing some good stuff in the process. I believe your area, and across to north Wales, was the warmest in the country today. Nice buzzard,too!

Return to “Personal Diaries”