A few late summer Italian snaps

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Kip

A few late summer Italian snaps

Post by Kip »

Holiday over. I set out with little expectation but a bit of hope for one or two lifetime new sightings. I came away with three of these and a couple of better than previously achieved species photos... so that is pretty good for me I think.
Here are my highlights, not that there are many....
Firstly Lang's Short-tailed Blue, seen again after a long gap in time...
190911 L. pirithous_ Pompei_5465.jpg
190913 L. pirithous_ Termini Italy_5998.jpg
190914 L. pirithous_ Termini Italy_6184.jpg
Next, my best ever shot of a male Long-tailed Blue...
190913 L. boeticus_ Termini Italy_6103.jpg
A better shot of Tree Grayling than my last posting....
190913 H. statilinus_ Termini Italy_5958.jpg
Eastern Bath White...
190913 P. edusa_ Termini Italy_5925.jpg
Southern Small White...
190913 P. mannii_ Termini Italy_5946.jpg
A little unexpected, Pigmy Skipper...
190913 G. pumilio_ Termini Italy_6072.jpg
190913 G. pumilio_ Termini Italy_5996.jpg
A local version of Small Heath...
190913 C. pamphilus_ Termini Italy_5747.jpg
and for me, two other aspirational species...
Sage Skipper, a fresh female...
190915 M. proto_ W_6233.jpg
190915 M. proto_  Italy_6253.jpg
and finally, Two-tailed Pasha, my first and only encounter, initially spotted from the car, but luckily I was able to stop and get a couple of snaps of this rather world weary specimen...
190917 C.jasius_ _w6297.jpg
All in all, rather enjoyable, if not species rich.
More pics on http://ptkbutterflies.wixsite.com/photo-art - should you wish to look, I hope you like the site..
Chris Jackson

Re: A few late summer Italian snaps

Post by Chris Jackson »

A nice series of seasonal shots, Kip, with the Sage skipper clearly on its host plant, Phlomis herba venti.
That Long-tailed Blue is nice and fresh.
Chris
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Brilliant stuff, Paul!

I have to say, that sage skipper is so different from any I've seen in Spain it had me scuttling to the books to see if there was some other species of Muschampia it might be, that I'd forgotten about. But no - that's the only one in Italy.

I'm glad you caught up with jasius! If I'd never seen one, that would be top of my wanted list. And great stuff with the pigmy skipper.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Nice line-up, Kip. How surprising was Pygmy Skipper for you? Is it common round those parts?
Kip

Post by Kip »

Thanks chaps... I had seen both pigmy and Mediterranean skippers in the past, but somehow forgot to figure them in to my list of hopefuls.. actually saw them in largish numbers at just one site, and had plenty of opportunity to snap them as they were not at all shy - last time I saw them they were much more flighty.
That Long-tailed Blue was alongside a few more much more worn specimens, luckily for me.
I had missed Sage skipper whenever I thought I had a chance in the past, and saw them only at one roadside random site this time.. there were several hyperactive males, and this one large female.. really large, Tessellated skipper size. Maybe if I had figured out the larval foodplant before I would have had a better clue to where I might see them as I now understand they are quite closely tied to it (?)
Other species on the wing were Small and Large Skipper, Mallow Skipper, Southern Comma, Painted Lady, Common Blue, Brown Argus, Small Copper, Large White, Swallowtail, Meadow Brown, the Grayling was a lone sighting.
The Pasha was suitably exciting to me, but the experience was somewhat lessened by an irate wife, left in the car on a busy road intersection with only articulated lorries for company :D
More pics on http://ptkbutterflies.wixsite.com/photo-art - should you wish to look, I hope you like the site..

Return to “Overseas”