Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Pauline

Post by David M »

Nice observations with the Glanville larval webs, Pauline.

Your latest Comma looks to be a hutchinsoni, which surprises me given the time of year.
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Was the Hibernation web near to the web that was abandoned, as thats may be where the larvae moved too, they do like to go into longer growth to hibrnate, with the strong web and protection from wind. They were flying later at Wrecclesham, so probably will all hibernate, if its a mild winter and warm spring again it looks like a good year for Surrey Glanvilles next year. Hopefully there will be no major works in that field.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - it was the last of the reared to emerge!

Mmmm, now you mention it.........but please don't ask me to explain it! Your input is always valued D.

Hi Martin, it was about 20-30 paces away - seems a long way for a little larva?

As I type the rain is torrential and there is a massive thunderstorm. I really need this weather to dry up to help me sell my car as unfortunately I cannot drive 2 at once. I am told there are only 49 in Europe. My old car:
0be7_1[1].jpg
0be7_1[1].jpg (20.06 KiB) Viewed 3598 times
My new (old) car:
new_car.JPG
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, the weather wasn't all that bad this morning - calm, warm with periods of sunshine. There were a couple of other observers searching for BH at Noar Hill but none of us had any luck. I still can't find a single egg which is a little worrying. I couldn't find Mike's Chalkhill either but there were 4 Painted Ladies in the top pit and someone pointed out a Spotted Flycatcher to me?? A few from this morning:
P1250836ad.jpg
P1250845ad.jpg
P1250837ad.jpg
P1250847ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

My girls would love your car(s) Pauline that would get them a score of two out of three in "Yellow, Mini, Soft-top" 8) :D Looks good for a junvenile Spotted Fly Pauline, you can make out the ever so slightly upturned bill :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I can’t believe how quickly the time has gone -from finding that first Duke of Burgundy on 1 April until seeing the Brown Hairstreaks in early August and everything in between. Before I go I must (as usual) reflect on the season from a personal perspective.

Rearing – I hadn’t intended to rear Purple Hairstreaks again this season but after finding so many eggs on felled branches I decided to do it for a third time as they must be one of the easiest Hairstreaks to rear. I hadn’t intended to rear a Black Arches moth either but as it came in on branches for the Hairstreaks I felt I had no choice. Thanks again to Allan and Vince for providing the ID. The Puss moth is one I have reared before and no doubt will do again as I enjoy watching them progress through the stages. My first attempt at rearing Brimstone was successful and coincided with the finding of several wild Brimstone pupa having spent an absolute age monitoring the larva. It was during these searches that I found my first wild Orange-tip pupa – the first of several. Rearing a Common Blue was another first for me and another success. It was suggested that the Red Admiral larva I had photographed was possibly a Painted Lady. I have wanted to rear one of these for some time now so put it in a place of safety with that intention. Turned out it was in fact a Comma which has since emerged and has hopefully found a place of shelter in this dreadful weather.
Immature Stages -1.jpg
Immature Stages-2.jpg
Immature Stages - 3.jpg
Common Blue.jpg
Sequence 1.jpg
Sequence 2.jpg
Sightings – It was exciting to see the ‘Black’ Admiral this season as it is about 10 years since I have seen one and even more exciting to discover that it was one of several. Following a ‘tip-off’ from Paul I was also able to discover and photograph my first wild WLH larva. In Sussex the mating Bees were a first for me and likewise the Narrow-bordered Bee moth at Bentley Woods. I have included several of the more ordinary sightings in this review because they were taken on outings I particularly enjoyed for various reasons. A collation of colour and wing patterns highlighting the beauty and diversity of these insects.
Butterflies 1.jpg
Butterflies 2.jpg
Butterflies 3.jpg
Butterfly Wings.jpg
I have not had my moth trap out a great deal this season – simply a time issue but I have continued to enjoy the shots posted by others in particular the wonderful variety Neil has shared with us. I have however taken a more than usual interest in the moths I have encountered from day to day leading to the identification of that Box-tree moth which was introduced to this country in 2007 and appears to be a real pest. I was happy to provide details to Colin Pratt who is collating them for his next book.
Moths 2019.jpg
Earlier in the year I spent a considerable amount of time at Bramshott Common which is a very atypical site for the Silver-spotted Skippers but it was the Common Blues that caught my interest. All but 2 of the females I was able to find on this site were various shades of blue – some quite amazing combination of colour and patterns – and having spent a great deal of time over many visits just watching them it was apparent that the behaviour of these blue females was very similar to that of the males; they were active, territorial and the males initially seemed quite disinterested in them. Very different behaviour to that of the Brown females who tend to be more sedentary. It goes without saying that the behaviour of these insects is one of the main reasons I continue with this hobby and probably why I find the immature stages so fascinating.
Behaviour 1.jpg
Behaviour 2.jpg
My interest has extended beyond butterflies and I have spent time looking at both various immature stages in the wild as well as other insects. I have learned more about the life cycle of the Ladybird and have unintentionally discovered a little about spiders – due to the various species I saw killing various butterflies.
Ladybird Life Cycle.jpg
Spiders.jpg
Other Insects.jpg
These were all highlights of my season - a wonderful array of butterflies despite the season being something of a strange one for some of the species, in particular the Purple Emperor. Nevertheless, I was pleased to be able to get some close up views and shots on several occasions including having 2 grounded Emperors at once – one on the ground and one on me to be precise. It is quite some years since that has occurred. There is not much I don’t enjoy about the butterfly season as it is great to meet up with like-minded folk but the chap with the net at Chiddingfold disturbed me as did reports of a couple of guys with nets searching out female PE at Alice Holt – not to mention the one collecting eggs in a plastic tub!

The emergence of the Brown Hairstreak also seems to be delayed and sporadic at least in Hampshire. I believe it to be the smaller concentration of butterflies around at any one time which has resulted in fewer sightings to date.

With the Hairstreaks being my favourite group it was a little disappointing and quite frustrating to see so many Black Hairstreaks at Ditchling Common whilst only getting shots of worn or damaged individuals. However, that frustration was balanced by the pleasure of finding Brown Hairstreak eggs at a site where I have been told they have not been recorded before.
Hairstreaks.jpg
Before I go it just remains for me to thank those of you who have taken an interest in my diary this year, whether actively contributing or just looking at my shots. If the latter then I hope you enjoyed them and it would be lovely if you just ‘popped in’ to say Hello – or Cheerio!. If the former, then a very big thank you as it is lovely to get your comments and views as I am always looking to improve and try to keep things fresh and interesting. I wish you all the very best for the rest of your season.

Au revoir.
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:..As I type the rain is torrential and there is a massive thunderstorm. I really need this weather to dry up to help me sell my car as unfortunately I cannot drive 2 at once. I am told there are only 49 in Europe. My old car...
You're full of surprises, Pauline. I would never have associated you with that kind of vehicle. :)

How long have you owned it?
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Gosh, end of your season already :o A wonderful series of fascinating posts illustrated with splendid photographs. I loved your 'collection' of wing patterns. While I've not seen much that I felt worthy of reporting - apart from the Scilly sub-species - I have enjoyed following various diaries and posts. I was up at Bald Hill at the Eastern end of the Aston Rowant reserve a few days ago (it's much quieter than the better-known section by the M40) and was surprised by how few Silver-spotted Skippers there seemed to be but plenty of Chalkhill Blues and several Frog Orchids.

until next year :)
Mike
millerd

Post by millerd »

Goodness, is it really that time already? As ever, your diary is a fascinating read, Pauline, and includes an enviable level of detail that I know I would never have the patience to achieve. I shall miss dipping into it in the coming months, but I hope you are blessed with a few more butterflies this season - a Clouded Yellow or two maybe?

All the best,

Dave
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Wurzel:
My girls would love your car(s) Pauline that would get them a score of two out of three in "Yellow, Mini, Soft-top"
You Pauline have the perfect car. I have an [almost] identical Skoda (VW clone) in that same stunning yellow but mine is a hard top. Wife has an open top Silver Mini Cooper S

Open top cars are fun, perfectly practical but the wind noise level is high. Although we do drive each other’s cars from time to time, I much prefer my Skoda. Fortunately Stella opts for the Mini so no clashes. Moreover, the yellow car is much more economical (perhaps my driving style is to an extent responsible :evil:) and if I get below 60 mpg, I am disappointed.
Mind you, the Mini can reach absurd speeds before you can blink - but what’s the point :?:

Jack
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, I hope you sell your car , if I lived nearer I'd love it :D My Daughter has a mini and I've offered to swop her , (my car for her's, ) no takers though :lol:
You've certainly been busy this year, your photos are always excellent , It's always sad to see you Finnish off it means nearly the end of the season keep in touch .Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I hope all goes well during your hibernation Pauline :D Perhaps we can tempt you out for the Social? :wink: :D If not see you next year some time :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

That's a lovely photographic summary of your season, Pauline :D and I can imagine how long it took to put it together :D Great stuff, see you next year :shock:

Mike.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Blimey Pauline, that time already :shock:

That is a great look back on your season with some interesting comments and cracking photos :D and thanks for the mention on my moth photos :D

Hope you have a good hibernation and looking forward to you resuming your diary next year.

All the best,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

As ever, that is a wonderful sequence of images showcasing your butterfly year, Pauline (though I can live without the ‘Spiders & Butterflies’ presentation).

I especially like the ‘Butterfly Wings’ image – it almost has a stained glass window effect.

Good luck with all your pets this autumn/winter and I will look forward to seeing you return on here next year…to coincide with the emergence of Dukes hopefully!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I missed your summation of your hectic year a few weeks ago, once again it looks like you've had a busy season. Happy hibernation and look forward to your return next spring, maybe see you at the social again?
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Never having been known for being predictable but always willing to admit I was wrong I have decided I was indeed a little premature in ending my season - there is still too much going on. I'd like to thank everyone for your very VERY generous comments and rest assured, I shall not expect them to be repeated. When I have finished posting I shall just fade away this time............. I have managed to keep reading a few diaries. Paul, I am honoured to have a WA larva named after me :lol: Mark, you already know how much I loved the fox; I enjoyed the Marsh Frit larva David and Neil, that shot of the Wasp Spider was very reminiscent of shots I have taken recently. There are probably many more but I'm just working from memory now. I have made some notes so for the next however many posts I shall just do a cut and paste job.

13 August

Sods Law! The day after I closed my diary was the day that the Brown Hairstreaks showed themselves at Noar Hill (13 August). I was trying to get a shot of the Chalkhill originally spotted by Mike. It was being a bit skittish, leading me a merry dance but it led me right up to a nectaring female Brown Hairstreak – and then another – and then another!!! For about an hour I watched them laying eggs (at last!) Co-incidentally, it would seem that they were seen in some numbers at Shipton on the same day.
P1250861d.jpg
P1250869ad.jpg
P1250916ad.jpg
P1250878ad.jpg
P1250902ad.jpg
P1250925ad.jpg
P1250893ad.jpg
Last edited by Pauline on Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
millerd

Post by millerd »

The old adage proved right again, Pauline - expect the unexpected! You chase one thing that leads you to another... Great Brown Hairstreak shots: I'm pleased they finally appeared at Noar Hill for you. :)

You can probably hibernate happily now!

Cheers,

Dave
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks Dave - sadly the eggs had disappeared just 48 hours later. I shall be very interested in the results of the egg count for this season. If I can fit it in I may return to look again.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

15 August

Today, 15 August, was probably the best outing I have had this season so far. I hadn’t yet managed to visit a new site so when I saw reports of lots of butterflies from Thorney Island I thought it was time to pay a visit. I have been to Thorney Island before but only to one small area and never to West Thorney where there is a lovely old 13thC Church. It is a tricky area to navigate given the MOD presence and I had to stop at the checkpoint. I was not allowed through but a guard gave me some rough directions as to how I might get to West Thorney. As he was talking to me a fresh Green Hairstreak????? flew past. *** I was tempted to give chase but with another couple of guards conspicuous with weapons I decided against it. It eventually landed on some grass behind a guard with a gun. Lost again I had to ask a postman for further directions which led to a dead end. I had been informed that my destination was about a 20 minute walk but because I kept stopping it was more like 1 hour and 20 mins.

I had expected that the numbers of butterflies would perhaps have been exaggerated but quite the opposite. There were hundreds and hundreds of Whites, (if not thousands) mostly Small but all 3 were present and the report of 32 Painted Ladies was very understated. I probably saw at least double that. There must have been about 20 around the Church yard and on the buddleia there. What I didn’t see were the Clouded Yellows that had been reported from the area.

With so many Whites it was almost inevitable that I would see one in a spider’s web. I had stopped to photograph an impressive looking wasp spider but then was distracted by a Common Blue (well, I had to check them all just in case!). When I turned back to the spider it had already neatly wrapped up the poor butterfly.

I’m really going to try to get back here before too long!
P1260001d.jpg
P1250977ad.jpg
P1250959bd.jpg
P1260028ad.jpg
P1260002ad.jpg
Great camouflage!
Painted Lady.jpg
*** I should clarify that the question marks against the Green Hairstreak are not there to express any doubt about the identity but because I couldn't believe I had just seen an immaculate Green Hairstreak at that time of year.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Pauline

That's a rare but not unique sighting of an August Green Hairstreak. Here's the text I wrote for The Butterflies of Sussex:

"Flight Period

Nowadays this species flies from early April to early July, with a peak lasting throughout May. The average flight period recorded between 2010 and 2014 was 13 April to 10 July. During the previous atlas survey period the species generally emerged in early May, so the flight period has moved forward by about three weeks.

In 2013 the Green Hairstreak was recorded at Mill Hill (Shoreham), Fore Wood (Battle) and Cross in Hand during August, with the latest sighting on 28 of the month. This suggests a small second brood and it will be interesting to see whether a trend develops over future years.
"

BWs, Neil

Return to “Personal Diaries”