September 2019

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

September 2019

Post by David M »

This could be an interesting one given the Long Tailed Blue migration. We also have a first week which will provide decent conditions for other potential cross-Channel hoppers! :)
Andy Wilson

Re: September 2019

Post by Andy Wilson »

Bring it on! I've still got a few species to add to my UK list. Pale Clouded Yellow, Bath White... all are welcome :D
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I will be in Sussex in early October and aim to add not only LT Blue but also Monarch to my UK ist (both seen abroad). An unlikely species Bath White but again seen abroard - large numbers in Malta a long time ago. I haven't see Clouded Yellow for ages so that must be another possibility in early October.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:I will be in Sussex in early October and aim to add not only LT Blue but also Monarch to my UK ist (both seen abroad). An unlikely species Bath White but again seen abroard - large numbers in Malta a long time ago. I haven't see Clouded Yellow for ages so that must be another possibility in early October.
I fancy your chances with Long Tailed Blue & Clouded Yellow, Jack, but if you notch up Monarch then I will contact the Honours Committee with a view to having you knighted! :)
millerd

Post by millerd »

David M wrote: ...if you notch up Monarch...
The track of Hurricane Dorian (much in the news at the moment) is currently close to the southeastern Atlantic seaboard of the US. If any Monarchs are already undertaking their annual southward migration, then this hurricane will likely intercept the route they may well be taking. They could potentially then be scooped up by the storm and assuming it characteristically recurves northeastwards at the right sort of time and heads swiftly towards the UK as a vigorous extra-tropical depression, they may find themselves in Southwest England or Wales (and SW Ireland too). They are robust insects, and this kind of scenario probably lies behind many of the usual timings and locations of historical Monarch appearances in the UK.

You could get lucky, Jack! I certainly hope so... :)

Dave
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

In my local forest (Orlestone forest ,Kent ) ,late afternoon ,I found a male Chalkhill Blue ,around 8 (ish) miles from the closest coloniues found on the North Downs near Wye ,I know they are known to wander from time to time ,but it certainly took me by surprise !
Allan.W.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Migrant Painted Ladies were still coming in off the sea today at Lancing on the Sussex coast.
Painted Lady (female) - Lancing, Sussex 3-Sept-2019
Painted Lady (female) - Lancing, Sussex 3-Sept-2019
Some were laying eggs as soon as they made landfall on the beach, or just behind it.
Painted Lady egg (on Mallow) - Lancing, Sussex 3-Sept-2019
Painted Lady egg (on Mallow) - Lancing, Sussex 3-Sept-2019
There was also lots of evidence of earlier egg laying activity, with larvae at various stages of development on plants growing in the shingle.
Painted Lady larvae 3rd instar (on Burdock) - Lancing, Sussex 1-Sept-2019
Painted Lady larvae 3rd instar (on Burdock) - Lancing, Sussex 1-Sept-2019
Painted Lady larva 5th instar (pale form) on Burdock - Lancing, Sussex 31-Aug-2019
Painted Lady larva 5th instar (pale form) on Burdock - Lancing, Sussex 31-Aug-2019
Vince
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Vince Massimo wrote: ...Migrant Painted Ladies were still coming in off the sea today at Lancing on the Sussex coast ...
This may be related, and it may be interesting to know that this week and last week in the south of France there has been a sudden peak of Painted Ladies. In my local park at lunchtime, there are about 15 PLs to each Buddleia - I've never seen so many.

Cheers,
Chris
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Well here is something unusual that my wife found in the garden - a Clouded Yellow. It then landed on her and wouldn’t leave so she took these pictures in the kitchen and bizarrely it opened it’s wings - it flew off strongly and revisited the rudbeckia where she found it - quite amazing and a fantastic garden tick.
Attachments
AAD638E9-2AA6-40AC-87F9-159CE7601B1E.jpeg
93479CA8-7F2B-45E3-A072-9725618B5498.jpeg
1C48A336-7113-4F24-9A52-4D40D248DB06.jpeg
F1AB8105-E541-4D3E-AFBB-FA5E317CF60B.jpeg
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
David M

Post by David M »

Amazing is exactly the right word, Mark. I've never seen or even known about a Clouded Yellow settling with wings apart like that. Superb garden tick as you say, and extraordinary behaviour.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I saw those pics on facebook this morning, didn't twig the name! Coincidentally a work colleague came up to me last week to say he had seen a Clouded Yellow on holiday in Cornwall recently (only the second one he'd ever seen) and described the upperside of a male quite accurately as he said it was resting with wings open. I was quite dismissive but having seen these pictures... :?
Some addictions are good for the soul!
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

At last I had my first Clouded Yellow of the year yesterday whilst on a 'birding' walk with Matt in Cuckmere Haven. What was a little more interesting though was the Small Copper ab. radiata on the Fleabane.
We also saw a White Stork that probably came from the Knepp Estate, a bird that almost certainly saw many more Purple Emperors than I did this year!!
Small Copper ab. radiata.
Small Copper ab. radiata.
White Stork.
White Stork.
David M

Post by David M »

badgerbob wrote:...What was a little more interesting though was the Small Copper ab. radiata on the Fleabane.
Very special, Bob. Lovely individual.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Painted Ladies were still coming in off the sea at Lancing, Sussex yesterday (8th September). I noted 5 egg laying just behind the beach (on Mallow).
Painted Lady (female) - Lancing, Sussex 8-Sept-2019
Painted Lady (female) - Lancing, Sussex 8-Sept-2019
Painted Lady (egg laying) - Lancing, Sussex 8-Sept-2019
Painted Lady (egg laying) - Lancing, Sussex 8-Sept-2019
Also, the number of larvae is growing, with most being found on Mallow and Burdock.
Painted Lady larva (4th instar) on Burdock - Lancing, Sussex 7-Sept-2019
Painted Lady larva (4th instar) on Burdock - Lancing, Sussex 7-Sept-2019
One was also found on Nettle.
Painted Lady larva (4th instar) on Nettle - Lancing, Sussex 7-Sept-2019
Painted Lady larva (4th instar) on Nettle - Lancing, Sussex 7-Sept-2019
There were also 7 Red Admirals flying determinedly northwards. Four in Shoreham and three others coming in off the sea at Lancing without stopping. Another report the same day from Littlehampton, just to the west, also noted the same direction of flight. However, just inland and to the west, at Cissbury Ring, Neil Hulme reported a southerly migration of individuals.

Vince
David M

Post by David M »

Finally, a few more female Brown Hairstreaks to report from the West Williamston Reserve in Pembrokeshire. Three in total were seen on Sunday 8th September:
1BHups(1).jpg
1BHuns(1).jpg
Nice to see a few Commas and Red Admirals too:
1Comma2(1).jpg
1RA(1).jpg
Other species seen were Speckled Wood, Small White, Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell, Green Veined White & Holly Blue.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

These photos were taken off the back of a small compact camera with my phone. Seen in SW France. Which clouded yellows are they?
Attachments
IMG_20190914_062215982.jpg
IMG_20190914_062151728.jpg
IMG_20190914_062249177.jpg
IMG_20190914_062316390.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

I think the last two are crocea, but the earlier ones could be helice or alfacariensis.
jenks

Post by jenks »

Saturday 14 September.

By mid day it was warming up nicely so I decided to walk the Wales Coastal path. I parked by the River Rumney estuary just east of Cardiff and walked the path eastwards for about a mile and a half. The main rheen (ditch) which drains the low lying fields and connects to the sea here is known as Cors Crychydd Rheen. This was teeming with hundreds of Migrant Hawkers (250 -300 at least), also seen were Southern Hawker c.10, Emperor 2, and Common Darter c.20. Up onto the sea wall and eastwards, butterflies seen were Small White c.30, Large White c.10, Brimstone 1 female, Red Admiral 2, Painted Lady 1, Meadow Brown 1 and Common Blue 1. Best of all, my target for the day, Clouded Yellow, three sightings. One was flying on the landward side of the sea wall, one was on the coastal side of the wall and on my return one was seen on the landward side nectaring on flowers so either a third or possibly the original seen again. Probably my last "new" sighting for the year unless I`m lucky enough to get a Long tailed Blue. Here`s hoping ! Oh, and a couple of Speckled Wood seen as well.

Jenks.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Badgerbob
We also saw a White Stork that probably came from the Knepp Estate
Do they breed there?

Superb photo Bob. The trailing edge "split flaps" are of great interest to this retired aviator.

Jack
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Finally finding a few Clouded Yellows ,here in my part of Kent ,since the singleton we found at Samphire Ho ,back in April , with two seen yesterday ,and another two today including a garden fly-bye ,my first in thirty years ,also a couple of Coppers from the weekend.
Regards Allan.W.
P1120152.JPG
P1120081.JPG
P1120145.JPG
P1120127.JPG
P1120131.JPG

Return to “Sightings”