My first setps into butterfly photography

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
bobbinman

My first setps into butterfly photography

Post by bobbinman »

Hello

I am a new member to this forum, I have found it very useful for identification and finding out sites. I have just returned from 4 days nr the French Pyrenees and a week in Cornwall and spent a lot of the time following butterflies.

All my images were taken with the Nikon D2x with the 105 vr macro with 1.4 tele-convertor. I used the Nikon wireless SB-R1C1 with 4 flash heads, 2 on full power and 2 on 1/4 power. Images are iso 100 and taken on manual 1/250th sec at f stops from 16-32. Some of the shots you see have been cropped.

The Locations in Cornwall were mainly, Cudden Point, Upton Towans, Penlee Point & Rame Head.

The locations in France were, Mont Valier Nr Seix, St-Pons-de-Thomieres, Rennes-le-Chateau, Hautpoul

I have tried to identify all the butterflies but have not been able to do so!!! Any help or corrections appreciated and comments on the photography would be most welcome.

If you have time to look & help the images are at http://www.wildlifephotography-cp.co.uk ... index.html

Many thanks Chris

Ps Just one to get you going!
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

Hi Bobbinman,
First of all, congratulations on an excellent set of photographs. I wouldn't want to hazard a guess at some of those you've failed to identify because I do sometimes struggle myself. However, I reckon the pics you've titled painted lady 1 & 2 (page 3) are in fact red admiral. If you compare the underwing to the other painted ladies which you have correctly identified, you will notice a distinct difference.
Dave.
DJT
Martin

Post by Martin »

Some great photos there.

Martin.
bobbinman

Post by bobbinman »

Hi Dave & Martin

Thank you for your kind comments

Dave, thanks for pointing out the red admiral/painted lady miss-lableing, I have now corrected this!

Chris
Martin

Post by Martin »

Chris...I'm the same as you...knew to photographing butterflies (you can see some of mine in the "overseas" section, I live in Spain). The little buggers never do what you want them to, do they?

Martin.
eccles

Post by eccles »

I'm not a fan of overuse of flash, as although depth of field can be increased the black background is, to me, offputting. This is, I must stress, a personal preference and isn't somehow 'wrong'. Having said that, many of the shots in the set still appear dark to me. The dark appearance of the subject can most likely be corrected simply enough with a bit of post processing because with the kit you've got there will be plenty of latitude hidden in the raw files.
Criticism out of the way, the sharpness and composition of your set are both first class, and there's not much that this group can teach you about those aspects. Some are stunningly good.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

In terms of ID:

Page 1
- The "False Grayling" are, I believe, "Great Banded Grayling"

Page 2
- The "not sure common blue or adonis blue" is a female Common Blue; there are no black streaks across the white wing margins
- I think you're correct with the "not sure sloe hairstreak1" - as being a Sloe Hairstreak
- The "not sure" skipper is, I believe, a Large Skipper
- The "not sure" fritillary is, I think, a Weaver's Fritillary

Page 3
- "not sure 2" is a Meadow Brown
- I agree, most likely Sloe Hairstreak

Cheers,

- Pete
Rich

Photos from France and Cornwall

Post by Rich »

They are very good photos, I am sure you are pleased with your holiday snaps!!

Regards,

Rock
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Wow I did not realise that a macro flash would allow you to stop down the aperture that much.

I shall have to invest in a macro flash unit I think :-)

Oh and brilliant photos, perhaps a little bit underexposed, but no doubt its intended ;-)
Wayne
bobbinman

Post by bobbinman »

Hi Guys

Sorry for the delay in replying but have been away for the weekend,

Eccles, thank you for your constructive criticism, I do agree about the black backgrounds, but on the images of the comma it was intentional to clearly define the wing shape. I am starting to understand more on the flash units and my later images are having lighter backgrounds. You are right a little more processing will lighten some of the shots. Your comments are appreciated

Pete,
Many thanks for helping out with the IDs, it is very kind of you to help me out.

Rock & Wayne, thanks for your comments, Wayne, I am very pleased with the way the macro flash is working out and it will help on those duller days!

Thanks again
Chris

Return to “Photography”