iPhone photo technology

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
MikeOxon

iPhone photo technology

Post by MikeOxon »

For some time, iPhones have been leading 'real' cameras in several ways, especially in terms of their user interface.

At the UK Butterflies recent 'social', I showed some of the members there one of the newest capabilities available on recent iPhone models. Software enables them to create the out-of-focus backgrounds, much admired by competition judges, which often require expensive large-aperture lenses. Because of the interest it raised, I have posted some information here.

The twin lens iPhones (from 7+ onwards) can now simulate the effect of large-aperture lenses by means of a free App. called 'Focos'. In fact, I think the very latest iPhones already have the capability 'built in'

The photo below shows a standard iPhone shot of some flowers and then the effect of using 'Focos' to simulate the selection of a wide aperture, to make the subject stand out.
Focos-compare.jpg
The point of sharpest focus can even be selected after taking the photo, by tapping the screen at the point required. Once chosen, the selected version of the image can then be saved as a normal photo.

Mike
David M

Re: iPhone photo technology

Post by David M »

Yes, I've just got myself a new i-phone, Mike, and according to the spec it has a camera capable of doing precisely that!

I intend to test it out when butterflies reappear next spring!
flyingveepixie

Post by flyingveepixie »

Hi all,

I've only just started taking pics of butterflies with my iphone SE this summer after noticing all the Painted ladies coming into my garden. The way I'm doing it is to put the phone into 4k video mode and start from as close a distance as possible to the subject, moving steadily closer and adjusting the focus on the subject constantly as I approach. If it looks like it might be a successful take, I then import the video into Final Cut Pro on my Mac and export the best frames back to the desktop as stills. I've been lucky with quite a few butterflies, but most of them fly off as I get too close. My iphone is 3 years old now and the camera on it is still pretty good although perhaps not quite as sharp as I would like. Here's a sample of one of the pics I took of a Peacock on my Buddleia bush just a couple of days ago. The only thing spoiling it is my old compost bin in the background.. :( ...
Peacock .jpg
Last edited by flyingveepixie on Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Medard

Post by Medard »

A contribution by my wife, taken with her iPhone 6.Purple Emperor (Apatura iris)
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com
Attachments
IMG_0003.jpg
CJB

Post by CJB »

I have been trying to photograph all the UK species on the iPhone and am now up to 52. The camera technology has noticeably improved over the past few years, but that is also hampered by my technological ignorance.

I am now restricted by Geography for the remaining species with the widest coverage being the WLH, but the rest are very specific. I hope one day soon to post the full collection.

I am yet to conquer the 'macro' element but my most recent species is the Black Hairstreak, taken on an iPhone XS which came out better than hoped.
Black Hairstreak.JPG
Flutter on!

CJB
David M

Post by David M »

I find mine most useful for taking short video footage.

Return to “Photography”