Geography question

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Susie

Geography question

Post by Susie »

At least I think it is geography, it has to do with the way the land lies anyway. :?

Does anyone know if when immigrant butterflies visit the UK they travel inland along any particular route; i.e. along valleys or perhaps prefering hills for the updraft? Is there some other factor which makes they travel in the direction that they do or is it just random moving from one food source to another?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.
KeynvorLogosenn

Re: Geography question

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

Hi, Im a Geography Student, maybe I can help you
I think it may be more food and climate based. For example they wouldn't want to stay somewhere, where there isn't anything to eat or where it is too cold or wet (I wouldnt!). However thinking about them taking a certain path, maybe there follow land features such as rivers or cool/warm air from the jet streams. I will look into that one!
Isn't the clouded yellow a visiter to the UK?
Hope that helps abit
Mouse
KeynvorLogosenn

Talking of flight paths and the clouded yellow.
They originate from North Africa, India way I think, so in the summer they must travel west across Europe. So they must be drawn by the climate :D . But when it gets cold in the winter, too cold, the follow the climate back. So they follow the warm weather!
Does that make sense?
Mouse
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Mouse, for a geography student don't you think "North Africa, India way" is a bit vague. :lol:

Gruditch
KeynvorLogosenn

yeah I see what you mean! :lol:
Maybe as far East as india?
North Africa and India are realitivly close, only sperated by the "Arabian Peninsula" (which contains Saudi Arabia) and a section of the indian ocean.
I knew what I meant!! :lol:
Mouse
Susie

Post by Susie »

Hello Mouse, thank you for your replies. :D

I was just curious because I knew a couple of moffers who lived very close together, one at the top of a hill and one at the bottom. One of them had great catches in their traps and the other no where near as good so it appeared that passing moths took a particular path, bypassing one area. I wondered if the same would apply to butterflies.
KeynvorLogosenn

hi
They might do then. I think that the one at the bottom may have got a better catches as it is probably easier to go around a hill than over it!
But that is just a guess :)
Mouse
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

On a number of occasions I've seen Clouded Yellows in the UK following main roads or lanes non stop. When I was much younger and very much fitter, I chased one for around a mile barely able to keep up with it in its incessant pressing on mode...I did net it though and became an exhausted perspiring heap in so doing ....No chance keeping up with one now...:). Observed this non stop pressing on behaviour many times now.

Even more remarkable, until he died in the 1980s, we frequently visited my Father-in-Law at his house right on the coast at Budleigh Salterton in South Devon. Hummingbird Hawk Moths were frequent in his back garden which overlooked the sea and even the occasional Kingfisher would cruise by, just above the water surface over a water course at the bottom of his very long garden. He placed a garden seat there and I spent many happy times just watching the wildlife. One August I observed a steady stream of Clouded Yellows coming in from the sea and continuing to fly strongly inland straight up his long garden and up over the house and out of sight. They did not stop for refreshment from any of the many suitable flowers in the garden. This is a very strong flying butterfly and can easily cover big distances when non-stop pressing on that way.

Conversely, the relatively frail and weak flying Wood White also uses lane and roadsides to move around well removed from their usual Woodland habitats in a non-stop fashion. Observed this several times over the years. Up until about the mid-1980s when my two sons were born, I had much more time and always carried a net in the boot of my car as my occupation meant I travelled over much of central England at that time. I always kept an eye on things ~ as well as the road. Thus when I observed anything worth further investigation I would stop and check to make certain of what I think I saw and a quick net provided the positive answer.

I know of two or three woods where the Wood White was certainly not present a few decades ago but has a good populations there now ~ fortunately two woods in my favourite county and less than twelve miles from my home.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Well I know that in this part, they are found flying in to the coast of Co Down and inwards that way, in good years, they fly in around end of May and lay eggs, and then the next brood is seen in July onwards. Saw a few in 2006, nice to see, very fast flying, pitty none this year though, would have been nice, especially since I have a camera
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
KeynvorLogosenn

Hey
Maybe they do follow roads and things then. They have to navigate some how :)
Thats the way birds and that work.
Mouse
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Well, butterflies don't see as well as birds, think their eye sight is not that great, they can make out colours better than actual objects. Good at smelling things too. I'd say it is the direction of the tempreture and winds probably that make the butterflies move, because butterflies are very sensitave to tempreture change.

I know it is fronts in the Atlantic ocean that can bring migrants from America to UK, I keep watching them every year to see if it would be possible for something to arrive from there, like birds or monarchs.

I used to be great at geography, seems I am slipping a little
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
KeynvorLogosenn

Hi Dave
sounds like you nailed it, best logical explaination :)
Mouse
Susie

Post by Susie »

Finally, we seem to be getting to what I was thinking of. :D Air currents, I believe, move around in a similar way to currents of water in the sea. Obviously if a butterfly wants to reach a certain point then it will take the simplest route and one where the air flow, etc, is working in it's favour will be preferable. I am sure that Jack, with his experience of flying, will understand what I am trying to say even if I am not putting it well.
KeynvorLogosenn

yeah I see what you mean, i was thinking along those lines aswell, they normally seem to take the shortest route
Mouse
KeynvorLogosenn

Hiya
On the flight paths things, this could answer your questions

http://www.rothamsted.bbsrc.ac.uk/corpo ... flies.html

Mouse

Return to “General”