Is there an influx of Painted ladies?

Discussion forum for sightings.
Sylvie_h

Is there an influx of Painted ladies?

Post by Sylvie_h »

I noticed that the number of Painted ladies is increasing day by day. There were 6 on my buddleia on Wednesday and 12 yesterday, some in a good condition, some very damaged.. Cycling to the train station this morning in Swansea, I saw 3 fluttering about in the city centre. I think there could be a mass migration coming over from the continent.
Sylvie
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is there an influx of Painted ladies?

Post by Padfield »

There might be, but I think these are the progeny of the last influx - the fresh ones, at least. In Woodbridge I am only seeing freshly emerged painted ladies, and they started appearing about a week ago.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I think that it is a combination of the progeny of the earlier migrants now emerging plus a further influx depending where you are in the country. I have seen reports from Scotland and the north-east of large numbers coming in and also fresh examples appearing further south and inland which are probably home grown.

Cheers,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! , there's certainly been an influx here in the North West, in my garden alone for the last three days the Garden's been full of them, other reports on Lancashire Butterflies confirms this :D Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

A BBC news item:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49210010
I saw a mixture of old and new butterflies in Yorkshire last week (not huge numbers) and a similar mix at Mill Hill in Sussex yesterday (a dozen or so altogether). Some of the new ones were a stunning deep orange-pink when you've been used to the pale hues of the much-travelled older ones!

Dave
A_T

Post by A_T »

I think it's mostly now the offspring of those that arrived earlier in the summer. In Llandudno this week there were more than I could count feeding on a large buddleia.
Richard Symonds

Post by Richard Symonds »

I live in the far west of Cornwall near Land's End and counted in my garden during a 2 hour timed count a total of 71 Painted Ladys. Very few of these appeared to be revisiting. Most would stop briefly on my Buddleia bush before flying on. The counts in my garden have been 1st August 1, 2nd August 5, 3rd August 71, 4th August 25, so far today 5th August 15.
flyingveepixie

Post by flyingveepixie »

The most I counted in my garden at once was 15 about 2 weeks ago. None today unfortunately...

Here's one which was on my lavender the other day...
Attachments
lady 8.jpg
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Not many in Sussex at the moment but we spotted two on Wolstonbury Hill (South Downs) today - the first we've seen this year. Maybe the main flush will come later in the month?
David M

Post by David M »

The way these storms are developing, I wouldn't be surprised if they all p*$$ed off from Britain by Sunday! :(
millerd

Post by millerd »

Probably not far off three figures at Arnside (Cumbria) yesterday, the majority of which were seen in the Heathwaite meadow area though they were in all corners of the Knott (I know, it's round... :) :wink: ).

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Just got back from our latest trip...Five nights down in Cornwall on the Lizard. Painted Ladies were everywhere to the point I gave up counting. Many were worn and faded to some degree but there were also some very fresh examples.

Also lots at Upton & Gwithian Towans when we went there on Wednesday (August 5th).

More details and photos to follow in my PD when get chance to knock some reports together.

Neil.

Return to “Sightings”