Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by David M »

That's a beautiful, fresh Small Tortoiseshell, Neil. Hopefully we'll all see plenty as the summer wears on.

Looks like we may finally see some proper hot weather later this week, so I hope things will get moving everywhere during what is the peak part of the season.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Just catching up with the rest of your visit to the northwest, Neil - great Large Heaths, and NBA on the same day as well. June is such a busy month and I seem to concentrate my activity down south. I should do what you do for a change! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel, there are some lovely fresh Small Tortoiseshells appearing over the past week.

Thanks David. You were right about the hot weather, just returned earlier today from a few days in the south-west and we even missed the rain that a lot of the country had earlier in the week.

Thanks Dave, I always have a problem deciding what to see in June as so much appears at the same time and due to my local patch being so species poor I will often plan my trips away during this period after much pondering during the winter months.

June 23rd - Haddon Hill.

Last Sunday (23rd June) we set out for our second trip of the season, to spend a few days stopping at the Hunters Inn down in the Heddon Valley.

Our youngest son Daniel has been living and working in Bristol for a couple of years now and has recently bought a house down there with his girlfriend so we stopped off on the way down for a brief visit and to see their house. We then continued on our way, leaving Bristol in fine warm weather of approx 20 degrees, but further on down the M5 we started running into some rain.

The next stop was planned to be at Haddon Hill but by the time we turned off the motorway and was heading up into Exmoor the temperature reading on my car display was down to 16 degrees and the rain was becoming more persistent. Nevertheless we carried on to Haddon Hill and arrived at the car park just before 1.00pm. Although it wasn't actually raining when we arrived, the ground was wet and it looked like it would start again soon, but as we were there I took a brisk walk to the usual 'hotspot' to have a quick look around.

I wasn't expecting to see anything flying in the gloomy conditions but started examining the bracken fronds for settled butterflies and after about 5 minutes was well chuffed to find a Heath Fritillary settled in quite an open position...I don't usually find things that easily.
Given that he was not looking like he was going to move anytime soon I carefully trimmed away a couple of intervening grass stems and took a few photos.
Heath Fritillary - Haddon Hill 23.06.2019
It then started raining again so I left the Fritillary where he was and ducked under some nearby trees to shelter until it hopefully stopped again. I ended up waiting there for around twenty minutes, during which time the rain came down quite heavily, before it eased off a bit and I decided to make a break back to the car. Before I left however, I checked on the Fritillary again expecting it to have gone somewhere more sheltered but it was still there, the only difference being it had moved slightly and was now in an even better position for a photo. With some light rain still falling I took a few more photos and then made my escape before it came down heavier again.
I was a shame I didn't get any topside shots, particularly as it appeared to be a fairly fresh example, but there was no way it was going to open up in those conditions. Even so, I came away with some of my best Heath Fritillary underside shots to date so I can't really complain at that.

We then carried on to the Heddon Valley to check into the Hunters Inn.

No prizes for guessing what I was going there for...

Neil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking stuff Neil, brilliant crystal sharp shots :D :mrgreen: Cool and gloomy days often make for great butterflying ones especially when the butterflies allow you to do a bit of 'gardening' around them :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Aah, Haddon Hill. Brings back happy memories, Neil, as it's a while since I headed out there.

Those specimens look to be in great condition too, and the cool conditions and darker light clearly helped you.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Wurzel and David, the cool and cloudy conditions certainly helped to keep the butterfly settled but I could have done without the rain.

June 23rd to 26th – Heddon Valley Part 1.

Over the past few years we have gone down to the Heddon Valley a few times in late June and purely by coincidence rather than by any conscious plan our visits have been in alternate years with our first visit in 2013 making this year our fourth time. We usually book into the Hunters Inn for three nights which gives a couple of full days to explore the area and hopefully have a decent window in the weather to look for butterflies. This also means that Jane has somewhere to just chill out for a bit whilst I wander around the paths that are too steep or rough for her to manage and she is happy to let me off the leash as long as I check back every so often and get the occasional drink or maybe an ice cream from the National Trust shop. Mind you, I don't need much tempting back for an occasional pint of draught Exmoor Gold.

Anyway, as many people will know, the main reason for coming here is;

High Brown Fritillaries.

After departing from Haddon Hill last Sunday afternoon (23rd), the rain continued for the rest of our journey until by the time we reached the Hunters Inn at just after 3.30pm it had reduced to a slight drizzle. After checking in and getting settled into our room I noticed that the rain has stopped so I decided to go out for a little wander to stretch my legs, although I wasn't expecting to see many butterflies as it was still quite cloudy and cool feeling. As it happened, I saw a few Meadow Browns and a couple of Large Skippers, but that was it.

The next morning (Monday 24th) it was still grey and overcast to start with but the rain had stopped so Jane decided to have a slow walk down towards Heddons Mouth. We saw a few butterflies along the way, mostly Meadow Browns and a few Common Blues and Small Heath plus a tatty ancient looking Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary down by the wooden bridge but it was still a bit too cool and cloudy for much else to be flying. We then returned back to the Hunters Inn and as by this time it was getting on for midday and having walked off our breakfast we went and got an ice cream from the NT shop.

As we went in to the afternoon the cloud began to thin and with the sun breaking though occasionally the temperature rose a couple of degrees making it feel fairly pleasant so I decided to check out a couple of the lower meadows that had been productive in the past. I soon spotted some large orange Fritillaries all of which appeared to be males zooming about at high speed. Of course, the trick now was to get close enough to tell if they were High Browns or Dark Greens so I employed my usual method which is to stake out a spot with thistles or brambles and hope for one to come along. Most of the thistles in the meadows here this year have grown very tall with many of them being higher than the top of my head which actually made confirming some IDs fairly easy as it afforded good views of the undersides. The downside to this was that getting a decent angle for photos was tricky as they flew from plant to plant and fidgeted about above head height.
High Brown Fritillary - Heddon Valley 24.06.2019
I also had a walk through Parsonage Wood, where a couple each of High Brown and Dark Green Fritillaries, and then carried on to the crossroads on the path at Ladies Mile where I saw a few more Fritillaries flying rapidly across the bracken on the slopes.

Later in the afternoon they started to slow down bit and would settle to bask on the bracken but with plenty of lush vegetation this year it was difficult to get a clear shot without intervening grass stems.
During the afternoon I reckon I identified half a dozen HBF with an equal number of DGF with a few more that didn't stay still long enough for me to be sure which they were.

During Monday night we had a bit more rain but luckily nothing like the amount that was forecast and the following morning (Tuesday 25th) again started off with a grey overcast but this soon started to break up and after breakfast I went out for a walk. This time I ventured up Trentishoe Combe and across the higher path, a route which is described in a butterfly walk pamphlet that is available from the NT shop and also on the bar in the Hunters Inn. This is a steep climb in places and my previous experience of this route is that Fritillaries can be seen fairly easily but not so easily photographed as they zoom around across the steep slopes at high speed. As the morning warmed up I saw about a dozen Fritillaries on this route but only managed to positively ID a couple of High Browns and one Dark Green with the others remaining to far away to be sure of their ID.

As I carried on around this walk some low cloud /sea mist rolled in and for about 10 minutes the visibility was down to a few yards ahead of me and everything went deathly silent which made for a rather spooky atmosphere. I could almost here a voice in my head saying 'don't go off the path' in a strong west country accent. It soon cleared again and having survived whatever may have lurked in the mist (in my overactive imagination) I made my way back down to meet Jane at the Hunters Inn.

A couple of hours later, after chilling out for a bit just sitting outside the pub enjoying a drink and watching the world go by, I went off for another walk, this time on a circuit of the lower meadows I had visited the day before. It had now turned into a lovely afternoon with plenty of warm sunny spells and I soon started to see Fritillaries bombing about. Once again I just stood around various thistle or bramble patches and managed a few photos as the butterflies made brief stops to refuel.
High Brown Fritillary - Heddon Valley 25.06.2019
In previous years I had noticed some large buddleias growing wild in a couple of meadows off the path along the river but these had never been in flower at the time of our visits so I had not checked them out. In one meadow I noticed an obvious trail through the long grass where it looked like other people had walked through to these buddleias and as there were also a couple of large bramble patches I decided to have a look. As I got closer I saw that there were two more buddleias that were mostly hidden behind a tree which meant that they were not so obvious from the main path. These were both in full flower with one in full sun through a gap in the trees behind it and I noticed a path of trampled down grass and brambles where other people had previously got though to it which allowed me to get closer. I had noticed a number of butterflies flitting about this buddleia as I had approached but from that distance they were just dark silhouettes against the sky. Now I was closer I saw that they were made up of at least half a dozen each of both Red Admirals and Painted Ladies and a single Small Tortoiseshell, but best of all I also counted five High Brown Fritillaries.
High Brown Fritillaries - Heddon Valley 25.06.2019
High Brown Fritillaries - Heddon Valley 25.06.2019
It seemed strange to see the High Browns on a buddleia like this but I suppose there is no reason why they wouldn't take advantage when the opportunity arose. I spent some time around this one area just watching and taking photos when the butterflies came low enough and noticed that as the sun moved across the sky they also moved across to the other buddleia as that also came into more sun. There are also some large banks of brambles in this spot but they were mostly being ignored by the High Browns in favour of the buddleias.

After a while I tore myself away from this spot and carried on wandering. Up until now all the High Browns that I had seen had been males with most of them flying about at high speed. I had made a conservative count of 22 so far during the day with that number not including some that didn't stay still long enough for me to be positive about their ID.

I was slowly making my way back towards the Hunters Inn and decided to do a final check of another meadow before I called it a day. Scanning the brambles along the edge of this meadow an orange patch stood out against the green leaves and sneaking closer trying not to touch anything I finally found a female, and a beautiful fresh example at that. She really seemed to glow against the bramble leaves and I would not be surprised if she had just emerged earlier that day. I took a few photos and left her in peace, a cracking find to finish off a great day.
I have mentioned a few other species above, more details and photos of these and others to come as I sort though them.

To be continued...

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

A beautiful selection of High Browns, Neil, all in excellent condition too. What a terrific spot that is down there. :) :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"I don't need much tempting back for an occasional pint of draught Exmoor Gold." -I'll bet that's a nice drop of juice that is :D 8) I expect it would be even finer if supping whilst looking through all those cracking HBF shots :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Stunning High Browns, Neil, and all very fresh. That female is a beauty.
Your images do them full justice.

Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

As a High Brown aficionado myself all I can do is congratulate you, Neil. This is not an easy species to photograph but you've managed some enviable images. :mrgreen:
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A terrific spot indeed Dave, hence why I like to stay a few nights to make the most of it :D

Cheers Wurzel, there is a great selection of Exmoor Ales to try...but care has to be taken in choosing the right one for the occasion :wink: :lol:

Thanks Trevor, I got the impression that the emergence was a bit later than usual.

Thanks David, a bit of luck was involved in being in the right place at the right time.

June 23rd to 26th – Heddon Valley Part 2.

Dark Green Fritillaries.

With Dark Green Fritillaries flying alongside the High Browns, most of what I wrote in the previous report is equally applicable to the DGFs that I saw i.e. they were mostly males flying around rapidly and occasionally settling on the tall thistles.
Dark Green Fritillary - Heddon Valley 24.06.2019
One particular example that I saw on the Monday afternoon was a well marked example with additional heavy black markings which probably qualified it as a named ab.
I tried to get a better topside photo of this individual but with his restless flitting about on the tall thistles I just managed some underside shots.
I looked for him again on the Tuesday in the same spot but just found some more normal looking examples.

As with the High Browns, later in the day they slowed down a bit and could sometimes be found basking on the bracken.
Overall, I reckon that I only saw half as many Dark Green Fritillaries as High Browns and most of those were on the Monday. Curiously, when I saw the High Browns on the buddleias as described in the previous report, I did not see any Dark Greens in that spot at all.

Silver-washed Fritillaries.

During all my previous visits to the Heddon Valley I have also managed to spot a few Silver-washed Fritillaries, usually fresh looking males although on my last visit a couple of years ago there were also some females flying.
I was not surprised therefore to find a few SWFs this time as well, three different examples and all males, one on the Tuesday morning in Parsonage Wood and two chasing each other about in one of the meadows by the river later in the afternoon.
Silver-washed Fritillary - Heddon Valley 25.06.2019
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries.

I have also sometimes found a few Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries still flying in past visits here, although they are usually well worn examples just about hanging on. This time I found four different faded and tatty examples scattered about in the meadows along the river.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Heddon Valley 24.06.2019
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Heddon Valley 24.06.2019
I watched on the Monday afternoon as one of them kept chasing male Large skippers...
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary & Large skipper - Heddon Valley 24.06.2019
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary & Large skipper - Heddon Valley 24.06.2019
…and found him up to the same antics when I visited this same meadow again on the Tuesday afternoon.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary & Large skipper - Heddon Valley 25.06.2019
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary & Large skipper - Heddon Valley 25.06.2019
It made a change from having the Large Skippers doing the chasing. In fact these few surviving Small Pearls were still quite feisty and I watched them chasing the larger DGFs and HBFs a few times.

Four species of Fritillary seen in one day and there were quite a few other nice butterflies around as well.

To be continued...

Neil.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Neil

After all those fabulous shots of Fritillaries I have been scouring your diary for some tips. I tried the 'waiting beside the plant' trick but there were too many plants and too few butterflies and not enough time :roll: I smiled when you complained the thistle was too high as my knapweed was too low. We're never satisfied :wink: I have found a new respect for folk who can get close to these creatures :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"but care has to be taken in choosing the right one for the occasion :wink: :lol: " Indeed 'The Beast' is best kept for special occasions :D or if you're having trouble sleeping :lol:
A fabulous Fritillary formed Fantastic Four Neil :wink: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great continuation, Neil. Reminds me of my 'patch' with all that bracken...and those Dark Green Fritillaries too!
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Neil - I enjoyed your Frit Gallery from Heddon very much. I went there years ago before I got into butterflies. Even without that interest it is a very beautiful location and the Hunters Inn is great. I did not stay there but did have a couple of beers! By the way - do they still have the Peacocks? (birds that is).
Ernie F
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic fritillary shots Neil, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm feeling sorry for myself these days but your photos cheer me up :D Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Pauline. No, we are never satisfied...too cold, too hot, not enough cloud, too much cloud, plants too tall :lol:

Cheers Wurzel. I do like a drop of 'The Beast' but experience has taught me to treat it with respect :oops: :wink: :lol:

Thanks David, Bracken and Fritillaries...just made for each other :D

Thanks Ernie, the Peacocks are still strutting about, or at least their descendants are :D

Hi Goldie. I am glad my photos cheered you up a bit :D

June 23rd to 26th – Heddon Valley Part 3.

The High Brown Fritillaries were obviously my main focus but apart from those and the other Fritillaries that I have covered in my previous reports, there were plenty of other butterflies around.

Before coming down to the Heddon Valley I had seen reports of large numbers of Painted Ladies coming in along the east coast and watched as the reports followed their progress westwards across the country. On the Monday (24th June) I spotted a couple of pale and worn looking individuals which I assumed were from this influx.
Painted Lady - Heddon Valley 24.06.2019
Painted Lady - Heddon Valley 24.06.2019
The following day the numbers shot up to the point that I stopped counting them but during the course of my walks during the morning and again later in the afternoon I must have seen 50 plus. Every meadow and bramble patch seemed to have at least one or two and we saw a few fly past whilst we were just sitting having a drink at a table outside the Hunters Inn. Most of them seemed to be worn and faded but there were a few that looked to be in better condition.
Painted Lady - Heddon Valley 25.06.2019
I also saw my first Red Admirals this year which is quite normal for me, I never see these in spring around my patch and usually see my first ones during one of our trips. There were nowhere near as numerous as the Painted Ladies but a good dozen or so were seen scattered about the various paths and meadows.
Red Admiral - Heddon Valley 24.06.2019
Red Admiral - Heddon Valley 24.06.2019
Red Admiral - Heddon Valley 25.06.2019
Red Admiral - Heddon Valley 25.06.2019
It is a sign of the times I suppose that I was just as chuffed to see a single Small Tortoiseshell on one of the buddleias mentioned in the previous High Brown report.
Small Tortoiseshell - Heddon Valley 25.06.2019
Small Tortoiseshell - Heddon Valley 25.06.2019
Not surprisingly, Meadow Browns were the most numerous species seen overall with loads of them in all the lower meadows.
Meadow Brown - Heddon Valley 25.06.2019
Meadow Brown - Heddon Valley 25.06.2019
I was more surprised with the lack of Ringlets, I only saw a couple and reckon that the cool early June had delayed their emergence. In fact the season here seemed to be running a little later overall than I have seen in previous visits which have always been around the same time give or take a day or two.

Large Skippers were very much in evidence, especially the territorial males as they chased everything else about. I have found mating pairs quite a few a times before, usually down in long grass, but I found a pair here sitting in full view on a tall bracken frond.
Large Skipper pair - Heddon Valley 25.06.2019
Large Skipper pair - Heddon Valley 25.06.2019
Common Blues could be found in most of the meadows along the river along with a few Small Heaths and a couple of faded Small Coppers still hanging in there.
Common Blue -  Heddon Valley 24.06.2019
Common Blue - Heddon Valley 24.06.2019
Small Copper -  Heddon Valley 25.06.2019
Small Copper - Heddon Valley 25.06.2019
A single Green Hairstreak was seen by the crossroads at Ladies Mile which makes it every time I have been here I have seen at least one still hanging around.
Green Hairstreak -  Heddon Valley 24.06.2019
Green Hairstreak - Heddon Valley 24.06.2019
Whilst wandering around I came across three Adders sunning themselves in spots where the vegetation had been flattened, perhaps by a fox or deer. On two of these occasions I was too late to get a photo as the Adder became aware of my presence and shot off out of sight before I could bring my camera to bear. On the third occasion I spotted one from a bit further away and managed to sneak up a get a few photos.
Adder -  Heddon Valley 24.06.2019
Adder - Heddon Valley 24.06.2019
Anyone who has visited the Hunters Inn before will be aware that there is a large garden to the rear. There is a path which leads from the garden out to the path along the side of the river. Since our last visit two year ago some of the woodland to the back of the garden has been opened up a bit, effectively extending the garden. There are some tables and benches along with some nice tree carvings which make for a lovely little spot to just chill out with a cold beer.
Hunters Inn garden.
Hunters Inn garden.
Hunters Inn garden.
Hunters Inn garden.
Hunters Inn garden.
Hunters Inn garden.
And a final shot of the river,
Dappled sunlight along the river.
Dappled sunlight along the river.
We checked out of our room on Wednesday morning and headed off around 09.30. My plan was to call in at Haddon Hill again and hopefully see some more Heath Fritillaries. The weather gods had other ideas however as a thick fog/low cloud built up as we went further into Exmoor. By the time we reached Haddon Hill the visibility was little more than a few yards and the temperature had dropped with it. Nevertheless I had a quick look but failed to find anything. Looking at the weather app on my phone it wasn't due to clear up for another three hours at least so we carried on.

But we weren't going home just yet as we had somewhere else to go...

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More cracking shots Neil :D That second Painted Lady is in much better nick than the last four that I've seen :D That beer garden looks great for supping ale in 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Somewhere else to go? I'm wondering if that's for something Big and Blue? :? :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Good Painted Lady shots Neil, the only ones I've seen so far have been like your first shot well worn. :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

I'm thoroughly enjoying this report, Neil. Seems like a wonderful location.

Return to “Personal Diaries”