Padfield

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Padfield

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Guy - really looking forward to the next report :D Is the Ring Ouzel the continental form - it seems to have grey edges to the feathers running down the chest - the British race is very much like a Blackbird with a white patch on the wings and the collar :? Those Violet Coppers - stunning :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks Mike - yes, it is really wonderful to be back in the mountains, though at the same time it feels as natural and unexceptional as breathing. It has been very strange not being in the mountains for 11 months ...

I think perhaps it is the momentary angle of the light, Jack, on that Adonis blue, that makes it seem rather dull. As you know, much of the depth of colour of Adonis is refractive, so angle makes a big difference. Plus, of course, it is late in the first brood and this individual was not born yesterday.

Hi Matsukaze. I can guess from a distance what you might have seen along that road! Certainly, great sooty satyrs. These were abundant yesterday in Valais and often fly in the steep, flowery embankments of those valley roads. I think I might be too early for humedasae, so might give Aosta a miss on this trip.

Thanks Wurzel. I don’t know about ring ouzel subspecies. I took a lot of photos last year, so will examine them carefully.

Yesterday I went into Valais for Asian fritillaries, which fly rather locally where its foodplant, blue honeysuckle, grows. This is the Alps’ answer to scarce fritillary, that David was seeing in Piedmont:

There were lots of these around - it seemed to be peak season - including some well worn individuals:

Alpine graylings were expected but a great pleasure to see, as always:

There were also plenty of other fritillaries, including heath, false heath and pearl-bordered:

Again, I watched a large blue laying:

Despite that wing being the wrong side she could fly perfectly well. Here’s one of her eggs:

At that altitude, orange tip and green hairstreak are still flying:

Back down in the valley, great sooty satyrs were everywhere:

This marbled white was very delicately coloured:

First Chapman’s blues of the year (of my year, that is):

Silver-washed fritillary:

And to my surprise, because I haven’t seen them at this site before, an ilex hairstreak:

Southern white admirals were no surprise:

For non-butterfly interest, this valley site is always good for Platycnemis pennipes, the white-legged damselfly:

All these pictures were processed on the train, on the iPad, on the way back to Villars. As always, I will re-process at least some of them properly when I get back to my computer. I just can’t seem to get the compression and sharpening right on the iPad.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Padfield wrote:Hi Matsukaze. I can guess from a distance what you might have seen along that road! Certainly, great sooty satyrs. These were abundant yesterday in Valais and often fly in the steep, flowery embankments of those valley roads.
Yes, and in exactly those conditions - the embankment in question was too steep to be scaled and the butterflies for the most part kept to the top, occasionally descending to the lower slopes just to remind me that they were there. I was undertaking a crash course in applied erebiology at the time, and made the mistake of thinking they were some kind of mountain ringlet I had not seen before; it was a surprise when the photos showed what they were.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

White-legged Damselfly - the British Dragonfly Society is currently surveying for this species as there is some evidence that it has been declining; Suffolk is one of the areas they are surveying, so if you come across it there, I am sure they would value the records:

https://british-dragonflies.org.uk/wp-c ... uffolk.pdf

If Somerset is any indication the damselfly is often missed, as the adults tend to hide areas of long grass, alongside the river if possible (they are easy to disturb). The peak flight time is in June, though there should still be a few around.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Fantastic to see that you have been able to return to Switzerland and that you are momentarily amongst all of those special species again. I will have to get there some time to see them.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Matsukaze. Erebiology sounds good but great sooty satyr is a fantastic butterfly, so I hope no great disappointment there! I shall be on the lookout for white-legs in Suffolk but I haven’t seen any thus far.

Hi Nick. If you haven’t done the Alps you really should! There Is the most amazing variety of butterflies here, from Mediterranean species in the valleys to seriously cold-hardy stuff in the peaks.

I went high today, mostly hoping for Cynthia’s fritillary. I found males lekking in good numbers on 30th June 2017 so there was a chance, at least. However, this is a very late year and the lekking vegetation was still low and undeveloped. In a couple of hours of mixed weather - some sun, much cloud - I saw no males at all today. Strangely, there was one female knocking around up there and she didn’t look like a virgin, so it might have been the weather conditions today rather than the seasonal stage. Alternatively, this is an anomalous, very large, female marsh fritillary - I’ll study my older pictures to try and confirm. I’m sitting on the train at the moment ...

Today’s skipper was dusky grizzled, which was flying in good numbers:

This is one of the easiest Pyrgus to identify. Which reminds me: I forgot to post pictures of serratulae the other day - another easy one in the field. Here is one from 30th June:

Impossible to separate in the field are malvoides and malvae. Only the latter flies on my local mountain but I believe only the former flies in Valais, where I was today, so this is presumed malvoides:

The only Erebia flying today was pandrose. Because of the iffy weather, it was actually possible to get open-winged shots of this elusive species!

Peak whites were zooming around everywhere but very rarely stopping. This one did, briefly, a long way off:

Very surprisingly, Eros blue wasn’t flying yet. In fact, very few blues at all apart from little blue were on the wing. Little blues were out literally in their thousands. Here is one on an impressionistic rock sea of colour:

Only painted ladies were more numerous than the little blues. They were absolutely everywhere, whether the sun was shining or not.

Two other blues were locatable - idas and baton. This male idas is very fresh:

This baton blue hasn’t been on the wing long either:

Significantly, I saw just one shepherd’s fritillary (no photo). Normally this is a common species up there, again confirming the lateness of the season. I did see several Grisons fritillaries, though:

This is a male mountain green-veined white, Pieris bryoniae:

I saw a single, male small Apollo but wasn’t able to get a picture.

I haven’t decided where to go tomorrow yet!

Guy
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Seeing a peak white land is something to savour, Guy. Mind you, to suddenly be amongst such an abundance of species, you should savour every moment!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

It is indeed, Buzzard - and I do! :D

Today storms were widely forecast in the uplands so I visited a lowland site in the morning to see if I could find any sloe hairstreak. One appeared literally seconds after I arrived at the site, and then none. Typically this species flies in June. I suspect the violent storms of last night - really thunderous - might have reduced the numbers on the wing.

Other firsts for the trip were pearly heath, great banded grayling and violet fritillary:

The meadows were being cut so I didn’t spend too long at the site.

Also, afternoon storms were brewing. Here are just a few more piccies from the morning:

(marbled white)

(small skipper)

(dark green fritillary)

(Onychogomphus forcipatus)

(red kite)

Guy
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Crickey Guy your last couple of posts read like a "Who's who"of European butterflies :shock: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: A stunning range of species :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Wurzel wrote:Crickey Guy your last couple of posts read like a "Who's who"of European butterflies :shock: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: A stunning range of species :D
Thanks Wurzel. The thing is, I’ve got a week to catch up on a year ... It’s certainly exorcising the demons that have been haunting me these past months! :D

Back to my old haunts in the Bernese Oberland today, for scarce and dusky large blue. I got there early, both for the weather and because the numbers of walkers and mountain bikers build up steadily during the day. As expected, both species were out in numbers.

(male scarce large blue)

(male scarce large blue)

(male scarce lagre blue)

(female scarce large blue)

(dusky large blues)

(dusky large blues)

(dusky large blue)

Also new for the year were purple-edged copper and safflower skipper. Other species flying were black-veined white, marbled and lesser marbled fritillaries, heath and false heath fritillaries, little blue, mazarine blue, silver-studded blue, dingy skipper, violet copper and assorted common species. I was focused on the Phengaris because they are so lively in the heat and I wanted to come home with some photos. In fact, I have hundreds, which I look forward to processing properly when I get back to my computer.

Guy
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

More great stuff there, Guy-and you deserve every moment. Have you ever seen a dusky large blue with wings open?
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"Thanks Wurzel. The thing is, I’ve got a week to catch up on a year ... It’s certainly exorcising the demons that have been haunting me these past months! :D " Well you're certainly racking em up nicely Guy :D 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Lovely shots of the Dusky LBs - they take me back to the Czech Republic :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thank you, Buzzard. Yes, I’ve seen dusky large blue with open wings, but it’s rare and I’ve never satisfactorily captured the moment. Yesterday I probably did my circuit in the wrong direction for that, as I reached their hotspot when the sun was already high.

Happy to take you back to the Czech Republic, Wurzel! One day, though, you have to visit Switzerland ... :D

Today’s mission was Thor’s fritillary. I didn’t get round to seeing it last year, with all the things I had to do in preparation for leaving Switzerland. What a welcome I had today! I’ve never seen so many, and by the end I felt really sad to leave them. They had let me into their world and I didn’t really want to leave. I took loads of pictures and processed just a few on my iPad on the train home. This is a male:

This is a female:

The underside:

Here is the same individual with a speckled wood:

Other species new for the year were northern brown argus, Arran brown, large ringlet and alpine grizzled skipper. This last was a surprise, as I haven’t seen it here before, it was at very low altitude for this species, and it is typically an early Pyrgus.

Orange tips are still flying here, even though it is not particularly high:

The commonest Erebia by far was oeme. This one had me confused, as it seemed to have no markings at all on ups or uns:

I believe it is oeme.

The commonest fritillary by far was false heath but a few Titania’s were flying:

Tomorrow I head up for the real prize - Erebia christi. I’m going to visit a site where it has been seen recently in both odd and even years (it has a two-year life cycle) but given the general lateness of 2019 at altitude I can’t be confident. I can be confident, though, of seeing plenty of other stuff.

Guy
David M

Post by David M »

I'm so glad you've got to spend time with your beloved alpine species, Guy.

For the record, further south in the French Alps things are quite late at high altitude, but seem to have more or less caught up below 1600m.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I presume that an earlier entry in your PD would have mentioned leaving Switzerland – and the reasons why. I had been assuming you are still resident there.

If this is all very personal, just tell me to shut up. I will understand and won’t pursue the matter.

Regardless on my personal intrusion, I am sure you can tell us if you are still teaching “sums”.

Jack (6N +/- 1)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Even more cracking stuff Guy - Switzerland is on the cards even if I have to leave the rest of the family behind :shock: :wink: Is there a different reason for the cracking looking Thor's Fritillaries name other than it usually being found in Norse country? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi David. Yes, things do progress quickly once the snow melts so even at altitude it should catch up. But in Switzerland at least they have had a couple of months of gloom and wet which I think has affected numbers at lower altitudes too.

Hi Jack. It’s personal but not private. My mother died in March 2018 so I saw out the school year then returned to Suffolk to help my father manage without her. In the fullness of time I will probably move back to Switzerland - I have dual nationality, as I think you know - but for the present I am a Suffolk boy.

I’m not sure if Thor was chosen for any particular reason, Wurzel. Sometimes there is logic in choice of mythology - the Erebia genus, being dark and gloomy, is named after the underworld, and many of the species names have chthonic connections. But you’re probably right - Norse gods feature in northern Boloria names.

Another sunny day beckons. Christi report to come (I give it about 1% chance, given the lateness of the year, but that is better than my chances if I don’t try ...).

Guy
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Against all the odds, I did manage to find and photograph - badly - a fresh, male Erebia christi. Arriving on site at about 10h30, I didn’t find it until 13h15, and right up until then I didn’t expect to either. The mix of Erebia was different from when I normally see it. There were still plenty of medusa around and no melampus yet. Other species flying were alberganus (by the thousand), euryale, tyndarus, epiphron and even a single triaria, very much a spring species. Then suddenly, there it was, flying along the track with a tyndarus and an alberganus. Somehow I managed to net just the christi and was immediately able to confirm it:

On release, he was not particularly helpful and I got only poor shots, but he remains my only male to date photographed outside a box:

(that shot taken at a very great distance)

Here are some shots of a few other Erebia:

(medusa)

(alberganus)

(tyndarus)

(euryale - not obvious, until you see it with a more normal individual, as in the next picture)

(two euryale and an alberganus)

Because no melampus were flying, the only thing on the wing that could be mistaken for christi was epiphron. At this site, these are particularly dark and unmarked. I netted a few and released them quickly:

(epiphron)

(epiphron)

(epiphron)

Other species flying included:

(the first chalkhill blues of the year)

(turquoise blue)

(silver-studded blue)

(Darwin’s heath)

(Titania’s fritillary)

(purple-edged copper ssp. eurydame)

Last chance to hunt alpine butterflies tomorrow morning. I’m booked in the evening and flying home on Monday.

Guy
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Very impressive Guy. If you ever get fed up with that " Pi R Squared " business as a way of earning a living, then I am sure you could keep the wolf from the door by showing Brits (and other Europeans with similar off-beat interests) the butterflies of Switzerland.

I for one could be interested but bear in mind that many of us oldies aren’t that mobile. What might we be able to see within easy distance of a resort/hotel?

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Supremely well done, Guy. You make such an effort with this species that you deserve to get results.

Return to “Personal Diaries”