Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
kevling

Re: Pauline

Post by kevling »

Wow Pauline, that's a fantastic ab admiral you found. You don't see many photos of them.

Regards
Kev
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Pauline
Just to confirm that you got an ab. obliterae. Very nice!
BWs, Neil
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Some really nice pictures recently, Pauline! Love the Brimstone sequence. And for your black White Admiral? You get one of these, or possibly two. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a fantastic aberration Pauline :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I met Colin once and I echo your memory of him, a real gent :) I don't know about the egg but there's only a few more months until a book that will have all the answers comes out :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

I don't really know what to say about that 'Black' Admiral. other than it is quite extraordinary.

What a find, Pauline.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Just echoing what other have said about that 'black Admiral' Pauline.

It kind of reminds me a bit of one of the Asian 'Crow' butterflies.

Lovely stuff,

Neil.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

ab. obliterae.
Does anyone know if this is genetic or the result of environmental condtions (eg period of cold or extrme heat at a critical time)?
I suspect the latter.

Jack
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Kev. I tried to re-find it a few times but without success.

Cheers Neil - good to Know.

Really appreciate that Mark. I've gone off Brimstones somewhat :wink: :lol: - you'll soon understand why!

I was really quite excited Wurzel. It's one thing when someone finds it for you but just a little more special when you've spotted it yourself.

The photos don't do it justice David. When flying it had a really lovely blue sheen to it. I wanted a second bite of the cherry but it wasn't to be.

Thank you Neil. I have no idea what they are so I shall look them up in a minute.

Hi Jack, I'm GUESSING that it is environmental conditions but there are folk on this site who will know better than me.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Better late than never. Good to see some familiar faces and a pleasure to meet Terry:
P1220442ad.jpg
P1220403ad.jpg
P1220412ad.jpg
P1220376ad.jpg
P1220390bd.jpg
P1220390ad.jpg
Reckon that'll do for starters.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Pauline!! your a lucky so and so, from Admiral's to Emperor's :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: wish I lived nearer to you, you've an Aladdins cave right next door :D Goldie :D
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Great find with the "obliterae " Pauline ! Nice One ! I was lucky to find an "Obliterata" in Orlestone forest (Kent )
in the mid-80.s ,and appart from a couple of possibles (at distance ) since ,I,ve never seen another !
Regards Allan.W.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

First the 'Black' Admiral and now the lovely shots of his nibs, you're certainly on a roll, Pauline :D :mrgreen:

Mike.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Well found Pauline, so their off !.

Great stuff,
Trevor.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Pauline, I think the consensus it that cold nights can contribute to the emergence of dark White Admirals, especially chrysalis that have formed in frost pockets. It may be the contrasting high day to cold night temperatures as well. Such conditions are common during late spring early summer- the time WA is at the large caterpillar and chrysalis stage.

Whether I am correct or not, it is a fabulous specimen, and nicely photographed by your good self!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I think the consensus it that cold nights can contribute to the emergence of dark White Admirals, especially chrysalis that have formed in frost pockets.
If that same logic applies to mammals - ie being born in particularly cold weather results in exceptional specimens – then in my case, (I recall that it was snowing on 7th December 1938), it explains why I am such an impressive example of Homo sapiens :evil:

Jack
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see the Emperors down on the deck already Pauline :mrgreen: :D The Silly Season has started :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Emperor season at last! We're not really used to waiting till July anymore. Now they're here I'm sure there'll be plenty more action to come.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you all so much for your very generous comments which I appreciate a great deal. I did suspect as much Mark but it is good to have it confirmed that others share that opinion. You do make me chuckle Jack and I am certainly not going to argue with you :wink: :lol: I referred to my recent (and very temporary) dislike of Brimstones. I have thoroughly enjoying the rearing experience and the male was plain sailing - one of the easiest butterflies to rear and judge emergence times. Not so the female. I was fooled into thinking it would be similar to the male and when the pupa started to colour up I began my vigil. I was convinced emergence would be within the hour but as one hour turns into two and then into three ............. :roll: The trouble is, having invested so much time, it is then difficult to walk away. In the end I watched this pupa for almost 8 hours before giving up :shock: . In comparison, watching paint drying would have been exhilarating and taken only a fraction of the time! I took hundreds of images of the pupa (to pass the time :roll: :lol: )
P1220168ad.jpg
P1220252ad.jpg
P1220261ad.jpg
It eventually emerged sometime overnight as very early the next morning I found this waiting for me. I notice she is another Ab. Hoefnagoli. They are clearly not uncommon but I have never noticed it before:
P1220336ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I have always found DGF difficult to photograph and today was no different. I have seen some wonderful images on this site of beautifully posed butterflies and I'd love to know how it's done. I guess I should try early morning but the grass would still be a problem. At this site most of the Knapweed(?) is considerably shorter than the grass so even when it is possible to creep up on them there is still a mass of stems to sift through for a half decent image - by which time the butterfly has moved on!
P1220599ad.jpg
P1220594ad.jpg
P1220555ad.jpg
P1220539ad.jpg
P1220518ad.jpg
Fieldcraft, fieldcraft and then more fieldcraft!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Yesterday when I checked on the Puss Moth larva I realised this one was shedding his skin. This sort of stuff fascinates me and it is at times like this that I wish my photography was better. I took 86 shots in the short time it took - here are some of them:
P1220605ad.jpg
P1220607ad.jpg
P1220611ad.jpg
P1220617ad.jpg
P1220621ad.jpg
P1220627ad.jpg
P1220633ad.jpg
P1220648ad.jpg
P1220651ad.jpg
P1220662ad.jpg
P1220670ad.jpg
P1220672ad.jpg