millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: millerd

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great selection of Glanville photos Dave, another species I must catch up with sometime.
millerd wrote:...They were a great set of butterflies, even though with the fencing and the notices, and the fact that technically they are an introduction here, it did feel a bit like being in a zoo... Dave
Must admit that for me the right and proper place to see them is on the IOW...although I can appreciate that is not always possible and the introduced colonies mean that people can see them that would otherwise not be able to do so.

Lovely set of Swallowtails too :D :mrgreen: It is beginning to look like UKB on tour at Strumpshaw this year, shame I went elsewhere this year, would have loved to have met up with various characters from on here.

Cheers,

Neil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots from Wrecclesham Dave - you did really well with the stained glass views :D :mrgreen: (I need to get mine off the camera :oops: )Those Swallowtails are something else :shock: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Rain might stop play this weekend for me unfortunately :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, Trevor, that was a very amenable butterfly. None of the others I saw were half as cooperative, but I did get quite a few shots, nevertheless. :) There was also this action photo I forgot to include earlier, of you with your chum Nicky...
Trevor 030619.JPG
Cheers, Kev - I had no idea you were up at Strumpshaw on the Monday as well! A shame not to have met you.

Thank you, Goldie - more posts shortly, with more Swallowtails and then another favourite of yours to follow. :wink:

I have seen Glanvilles on the Island, Neil, but it is a bit of a trek and Wrecclesham is only half an hour away. It does seem a bit artificial though, but less so as they have been there quite a while now. Strumpshaw was terrific, and I regret not going to the Broads more often. Well worth the trip. :)

Looking forward to seeing your Wrecclesham shots, Wurzel - I had to prune down a vast number of photos so I know what you will be going through... :) Fingers crossed there will be a bit of sun in the coming days. :)

Back to Strumpshaw. Over the course of the day, I think I probably saw around a dozen Swallowtails. However, the most frequently encountered butterfly turned out to be the Red Admiral, with at least 15 counted around the reserve. Also seen: Painted Ladies, Small Tortoiseshells, Common Blues, Brown Argus, Small Heaths, Large Whites, Brimstones, Peacocks, Holly Blues, Green-veined Whites and a single Comma.
RA1 030619.JPG
CB1 030619.JPG
CB2 030619.JPG
Peacock1 030619.JPG
Comma1 030619.JPG
A selection of the other Swallowtails coming up in the next post.

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Sweet revenge, Dave, sweet revenge! :lol: .
millerd

Post by millerd »

It's a classic pose, Trevor! :)

And so, back to Strumpshaw and the other Swallowtails I saw back on Monday 3rd June.

The flowerbed outside the visitor centre, carefully planted with this butterfly in mind, succeeded in its aim. However, any Swallowtail taking advantage of the nectar to be had was immediately besieged by eager photographers, myself included. All were well-mannered and everyone had their turn. Truth be told though, the incessant movement of this species when nectaring made decent shots hard to come by.
SWT13 030619.JPG
SWT8 030619.JPG
SWT9a 030619.JPG
SWT14 030619.JPG
After a late lunch, I had a walk around the reserve - surprisingly, I didn't see any Swallowtails out here beyond a couple in the distance, but this is where I found most of the other species, including the Red Admirals. Towards the end of the afternoon, I made my way back to the Doctor's garden, and this time, Swallowtails were indulging themselves happily on the variety of flowers on offer. There was no one else here, except for a German gentleman and his wife: he was greatly interested in the species, being familiar with its continental counterpart, and we chatted at length - despite almost a complete lack of each other's language. He was a delightful fellow. I found time for an extraordinary number of photos, and the following is just a small sample.
SWT28 030619.JPG
SWT33 030619.JPG
SWT36 030619.JPG
SWT38 030619.JPG
SWT41 030619.JPG
SWT42 030619.JPG
SWT44 030619.JPG
SWT45 030619.JPG
SWT52 030619.JPG
SWT54 030619.JPG
SWT57 030619.JPG
SWT60 030519.JPG
Eventually I dragged myself away, undecided as to whether to return in the morning or head off for something different. It had been a terrific day.

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, FANTASTIC!!!!! is the only word to describe your shots :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

"I found time for an extraordinary number of photos", completely understandable, I came away with nearly as many pictures as 9 days in Spain :lol:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely fantastic images Dave :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've only ever encountered the continental race and they don't sit still for very long at all; a matter of seconds and they're off :roll: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Goldie and Wurzel. To be honest, they were easier to photograph than I expected: as Wurzel says my experience of the species abroad has been that they don't sit still for a second. However, it's always been in hot places, so no doubt that makes a difference. :)

Yes, their cooperativemness led to a lot of photos, Buggy! :)

On Tuesday 4th June, the weather was not as good, and if I was going to make the most of it I would have to hurry. Instead of staying around and adding to the Swallowtail collection, I decided instead to head due south to Essex and the Heath Fritillaries of Hockley Woods. The road between Norwich and Ipswich could have been better and frustratingly was mostly bathed in sunshine, but things improved (roads) or the opposite (weather), and I reached my destination just as the last of the sun was being engulfed by cloud.

I walked briskly down to the southern perimeter of the wood, and there they were = a dozen or so Heath Fritillaries. Most seemed very new, probably having emerged that morning in some cases, and they basked in what now had become merely bright overcast.[
HF5 040619.JPG
HF9 040619.JPG
HF10 040619.JPG
HF14 040619.JPG
HF32 040619.JPG
HF22 040619.JPG
HF1 040619.JPG
HF20a 040619.JPG
HF37 040619.JPG
HF29 040619.JPG
HF31 040619.JPG
HF28 040619.JPG
As can be seen, some were very dark in colour. Soon, as the light continued to fade they shut their wings and disappeared, and the first few drops of rain started to fall.
pink meconial fluid from the pupa can be seen on the leaf
pink meconial fluid from the pupa can be seen on the leaf
HF23 040619.JPG
HF35 040619.JPG
they were quite docile
they were quite docile
HF40 040619.JPG
Luckily, I had just made it back to the car before the rain came down properly. The only other species I saw was a Red Admiral - two in fact.

It was definitely worth the lengthy detour on the way home! Despite the rain (which must have been an Essex thing as it wasn't wet when I got back), the M25 was unusually kind too. Another great set of butterflies, and despite the increasingly low light levels I was very pleased with the photos.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

For Wednesday 5th June, it was back to my local patch. A morning stroll produced around 70 butterflies of 9 species, including another first for the year here - a Painted Lady.
PL3 050619.JPG
PL4 050619.JPG
PL5 050619.JPG
Small Heaths, Common Blues and Brown Argus were all frequent, and in similar numbers.
CB1 050619.JPG
BA1 050619.JPG
BA2 050619.JPG
Holly blues, however, were declining - despite new examples still appearing. Looking at these you could be forgiven for thinking it was April.
HB1 050619.JPG
HB2 050619.JPG
HB3 050619.JPG
HB5 050619.JPG
HB7 050619.JPG
Another highlight was a fresh new brood Small Tortoiseshell.
ST1 050619.JPG
ST2 050619.JPG
Also seen: a red Admiral...
RA1 050619.JPG
...a Small Copper...
SC1 050619.JPG
...and I managed a photo of the underside of a Mother Shipton moth - an attractive view.
MS2 050619.JPG
Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

More fantastic Butterfly shots Dave, love the Heath Fritillary shots :mrgreen: Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Goldie - I remebered from last year that you like the Heath Fritillaries. They are such an easy subject to photograph too, I find. :)

On Thursday 6th June, there was a bit of sunshine in the forecast and as I would be away in the cold wet north for the weekend I set off on another morning out. This took me up to Whitecross Green Wood in Oxfordshire and a traditionally reliable site for Black Hairstreaks. They were flying in their usual spots, and I saw about a dozen, all males, and as far as I could tell they were all fresh. While the sun was out they tended to stay higher up, but in cloudier spells, they had a tendency to drift lower down. A couple of times I was watching a particular individual do this when the sun went in, only to turn round and find another sitting right behind me on a bramble leaf. In the end, I took more care and managed to get some closer shots, but initially most were of the semi-obscured up-in-a-tree variety. Also seen: Large Skipper, Red Admiral, Small Heath, Common Blue, Small Copper, Meadow Brown and happily flying under cloudy skies, good numbers of Speckled Wood.
SC1 060619.JPG
SpW1 060619.JPG
However, there were probably nearly as many Hairstreaks.
BlH3 060619.JPG
BlH4 060619.JPG
BlH6 060619.JPG
A bit of energetic wing-rolling revealed the red spots on the upperside for a moment
BlH9 060619.JPG
BlH10 060619.JPG
BlH14 060619.JPG
Dave
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Glad you got to see the Essex Heath Fritillaries, Dave. The weather has been a bit testing for this warmth loving species this year!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic images Dave, the Heaths do just seem to sit out in the dull weather don't they? Next time we meet I might tap you for a nit of info on the Blackstreaks if that's okay? I think 2020 is the year I'll finally bite the bullet and try for this species :? :D Those lush wing rolling shots have sold me on the idea :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That last one's got a very sqwiggly hindwing streak!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Dave, I've yet to see the Black Hair Streak, may be some day :D
At present I'd be glad to see a Meadow Brown, the weather's been awful here and I'm depending on Garden Butterflies, :roll: at present there's none about :roll: Goldie :D
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Dave

Thank you. I thought I saw a Holly Blue in my back garden yesterday but thought, no it can't be, wrong time of year. But if you are seeing them then it probably was after all.

Great Black Hairstreaks recently and that shot further back of the Heath Frit - all four wings from underneath - stunning.
Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

Some good stuff in your latest posts, Dave. That female Holly Blue is mint fresh - I haven't had the opportunity to get an image like that so far this year; all the ones that have posed well for me have been males. :(

The Heath Fritillaries are far duskier than those I'm used to seeing on the continent. Like the Swallowtails, I wonder whether this is a local form.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Essex and Wurzel - the Heath Frits were doing their best in low light and a hint of rain. :)

Go for it, Wurzel, those Black Hairstreaks are just waiting for you and they don't seem to mind poor weather either. In fact duller days seem to persuade them down lower. :) I'm sure you'll get to see them one day too, Goldie! :)

You're right, Buggy - that streak has been drawn by a very shaky hand! :)

I was surprised (even with the track record of my local patch) to see fresh first brood Holly Blues, Ernie. It's now a fortnight later, and though I think they have disappeared now, I saw a fair few in Essex a couple of days ago. Interestingly, David, I find egg-laying females the most obliging in opening up as they come out and bask between bouts of laying.

I have also wondered about the UK Heath Fritillaries and their deep colouration, as the many images from the continent posted here do indicate much lighter forms. However, they are very variable, with virtually no two alike.

A brief late afternoon stroll on my local patch later on 6th June revealed that there are still overwintered Commas here too, plus new Red Admirals.
Comma2 060619.JPG
Comma3 060619.JPG
RA1 060619.JPG
A Large Skipper also posed nicely.
LS1 060619.JPG
LS2 060619.JPG
I travelled north for the weekend, and the weather (especially in Manchester on Saturday 8th) was dreadful. It was not much better back south on Monday 10th... A four-day "blank" in mid-June? Fairly unusual I'd say. :( :shock:

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

On Tuesday 11th June, some brightness appeared late in the afternoon, and I had a quick survey of my local patch to see how it had fared since my previous visit five days earlier. The vegetation was a lot higher for certain! However, it really wasn't warm enough for there to be much flying: I only saw eight butterflies. One was a relatively new Red Admiral...
RA1 110619.JPG
...two were Small Heaths hunkered down, including one that I think must have been caught in the rain...
SH1 110619.JPG
SH2 110619.JPG
...and three others were the first Meadow Browns on my patch this year. Two were males:
MB1 110619.JPG
MB2 110619.JPG
The third was a female, and she was very lethargic in the dull and cool conditions.
MB4 110619.JPG
MB8 110619.JPG
MB6 110619.JPG
I also came across a plume moth of some sort, a very delicate-looking thing.
plume moth 110619.JPG
Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”