June 2019

Discussion forum for sightings.
Jack Harrison

Re: June 2019

Post by Jack Harrison »

Spean Bridge is quite a distance from where you live, isn't it?
90 miles. I stayed overnight. Evening in Fort William where we visited a nice pub with good beer and then migrated to a fish and chips “caff”.

Jack
NickHull

Post by NickHull »

Good to meet up with Jack up in Spean Bridge (it is 400+ miles from me - 90 miles is a breeze!)
Spean_Bridge_3_04_06_2019.jpg
As he said, managed a day with no rain (!) and we (Me, PhilB and Rosalyn) had success:
CS_2_04_06_2019.jpg
CS_5_04_06_2019.jpg
CS_3a_04_06_2019.jpg
SPBF_2_04_06_2019.jpg
SPBF_4_04_06_2019.jpg
SPBF_5_04_06_2019.jpg
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home"
David M

Post by David M »

Delightful images, Nick. This is one of my favourite butterflies and although it's a long way to go and see it in the UK, the scenery and habitat are wonderful and well worth the trip.
NickHull

Post by NickHull »

David M wrote:Delightful images, Nick. This is one of my favourite butterflies and although it's a long way to go and see it in the UK, the scenery and habitat are wonderful and well worth the trip.
Yes, the Nevis range was shrouded in cloud most of the time; certainly verdant - but when you have so much rain..... Only managed to get 5 tics :mrgreen:

Only seen CS abroad before - in CH with Guy many years ago now - and was determined to go, so when PhilB and Rosalyn said they were going, I had to go! Been a while since I saw JackH, so nice to see he has lost none of his irreverence :lol:
CS_7_04_06_2019.jpg
Last edited by NickHull on Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickHull

Post by NickHull »

Jack Harrison wrote:
Spean Bridge is quite a distance from where you live, isn't it?
90 miles. I stayed overnight. Evening in Fort William where we visited a nice pub with good beer and then migrated to a fish and chips “caff”.
Jack
Yes - the bar in Spean Bridge had no beer - only gnat's p**s Tennants. Even the beer was the colour of lager, presumably so it is accepted by the locals.... :mrgreen:
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I said in another thread that:
I can reveal that the [CS introduction] location is within 100 kilometres of Peterborough.
This might be helpful Nick: it could save you that 800 mile round trip.
CS.jpg
Pale circle is 100 kms around Peterborough, distances from Hull.

Let us know how you get on :P

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Nick wrote:
Been a while since I saw JackH, so nice to see he has lost none of his irreverence :lol:
irreverence
1. a lack of respect for people or things that are generally taken seriously.

That’s a bit harsh Nick. Just because I’m unimpressed by our current crop of politicians and have a degree of contempt for religion hardly meets the definition. I am full of respect for the likes of the late Screaming Lord Sutch (1940 to 1999) and Pope Dick the Second (967 to 942 BC).

Jack
peterc

Post by peterc »

While walking one of my transects at Norton Green I found an unusual Small Heath - note the dark lines towards the edge of both the fore-wing and hind-wing undersides. Not a classified aberration as far as I know, if indeed it is an aberration.

ATB

Peter
Attachments
SmallHeath 2 WateryGrove 6Jun19.jpg
NickHull

Post by NickHull »

Jack Harrison wrote:I said in another thread that:
I can reveal that the [CS introduction] location is within 100 kilometres of Peterborough.
This might be helpful Nick; it could save you that 800 mile round trip. circle is 100 kms around Peterborough, distances from Hull.
Let us know how you get on :P
Jack
Thanks, Jack! I think I would have more luck in seeing one by doing the 400 miles to Scotland! Not that I don't applaud the efforts of BC, it is just that the climate in Northamptonshire (whoops!) is now probably too dry for CS.... And the history of most reintroductions shows that few last more than 5-10 years before dying out :( Notable exceptions include the Marsh Frits, Brown and Black Hairstreak in Chambers Farm Wood.

BTW- Another definition of irreverent
2. Critical of what is generally accepted or respected; satirical: irreverent humour.
Remind you of anyone? :mrgreen:

Pope Dick II 967 to 942BC ? He must have been some prophet to have pre-dated Christianity by nearly 1000 years.... :?
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Pope Dick II 967 to 942BC ? He must have been some prophet to have pre-dated Christianity by nearly 1000 years.... :?
Glad you noticed the BC bit. It was quite deliberate :evil:

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

First Meadow Browns seen on the NW Gower coast yesterday (3 in total):
1MeadBr(1).jpg
Other species seen were Small Heath, Common Blue, Small Blue, Red Admiral, Brimstone, Speckled Wood & Dingy Skipper.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

7th June – another Scottish rarity
About 20 Dingy Skippers in one hour, most quite tatty. Also two elderly Peacocks, a worn Red Admiral (where had that come from?), sparkling Small Copper plus plenty of GV Whites.

Location, habitat and the best individual I found.
19-06-07-Location-DingySkipper.jpg
19-06-07-181-DingySkipper.jpg
19-06-07-156-DingySkipper.jpg
Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:...Location, habitat and the best individual I found.
Lovely, Jack. We don't see much from the northern half of Scotland so habitat images are of particular interest.

Fabulous that you've got Dingies up there.
jenks

Post by jenks »

I`d booked a 2 night stay,1st and 2nd June, in Salisbury with the aim of seeing as many butterflies and birds that this area has to offer. So, an early start at 6 a.m. first location Wrecclesham just over the border into Surrey for Glanville Fritillary. I had messaged Ernie for directions and thanks to his precise instructions I found the place easily, arriving 08.50. And also there was Ernie ! Always good to meet another UK butterflier. During my time there I saw 4 Glannies, before saying goodbye to Ernie and moving on. From his posting he obviously saw more as the morning went on. My next stop was Bentley Wood, just east of Salisbury. The Eastern clearing gave me 6 Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary, 2 rather worn Pearl Bordered Frits, 1 Marsh Frit, 3 Brimstone, 2 Large White, 1 Red Admiral and 5 Speckled Wood around the car park and the adjacent woodland. The entrance to the Eastern clearing had a Broad bodied Chaser buzzing about - my first for the year. After a stop for coffee and cake it was on to Martin Down where I spent the best part of the afternoon. Double figure numbers of Brimstone, Small Heath, Small Blue and Adonis Blue and 3 Green Hairstreak still active on the Hawthorn and Dogwood bushes. 8 or 9 Marsh Fritillary along the Bokerly Ditch. Perhaps strangely I only found 1 Brown Argus. This site is also good for birds, with Yellowhammer, Corn Bunting, Cuckoo and 1 Turtle Dove seen (although at least 3 were singing (purring ?). Now late afternoon I decided to head for Winterbourne Down, a RSPB reserve, noted for its Stone Curlew. I saw 4 here and much better views than I`ve ever had at sites in the Breckland. Arrived at my B&B at 7 p.m. and after a quick shower out for a meal. By now I was pretty cream crackered. I even managed to fall asleep briefly in the Wetherspoons despite the European cup final being on and the noise of the pub ! But an excellent day.
Sunday 2 June. If Saturday was hot and sunny, Sunday was cloudy and windy. Not a good day for butterflies. I spent the morning at Pennington and Keyhaven ticking off waders and ducks (always a small group of Eider offshore here). I did see 1 Painted Lady however feeding on the Mallow and Trefoil. The afternoon was spent on the New Forest heaths but it was just as windy here as on the coast. Too early for SS Blues, only a few Small Heath were seen along with my targets of Dartford Warbler and Woodlark.
Monday 3rd June. The morning at Durleston C.P. Still windy but sunny. Didn`t find any Lulworth Skippers but did see 1 Large Skipper, 2 Dingy Skipper and at least 5 Meadow Brown, all males, flying. My first for the year. Good numbers of Small Heath, Common and Adonis Blue and 1 Holly Blue on the Ivy by the bridge. Then on to Arne RSPB reserve. This is known as one one of the few places where all 6 native UK reptiles can be found. I didn`t hold out any expectations of seeing Smooth Snake (and I didn`t see any) but I did see my first Sand Lizard, a fine male in bright green breeding plumage, on the sand at Shipstal Beach. And the pond on Coombe Heath gave me another first in Great Raft Spider. Whilst quite happy to watch and photograph this largest of UK spiders at close quarters I wouldn`t want it crawling around my bedroom ! This pond also had a good variety of Odonata; Common Blue, Blue tailed, Large Red and Small Red Damselflies, 4 spotted Chaser and Emperor Dragonflies all present, also Hornet. The Sedum plants outside the cafe at the reserve centre held 3 Painted Ladies. I left here at 5 p.m. arriving home at 8 p.m. "Cream crackered" again but a great 3 days to remember.
Jenks.
David M

Post by David M »

2 male and 2 female Large Skippers seen on the Swansea coast this morning, my first of the year in the UK:
1LgeSkmaleups(1).jpg
1LgeSkfemaleups(1).jpg
Other species seen in low numbers were Small Heath, Brown Argus, Small Blue & Common Blue:
1CommBlfemale(1).jpg
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

A few hours at Hickling this afternoon and 13 Swallotails. All very active and only one settled briefly on an Elderflower, unfortunately, it didn’t feed and was off before I got close enough to photograph it. Interestingly, also saw double figures of Red Admiral and two Painted Lady.
The Swallowtails were the highlight, but a Crane, a Cuckoo and plenty of Norfolk Hawkers were additional treats.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

A few pictures from a very fruitful trip to East Blean Wood near Canterbury ,our yearly visit to see The Heath Fritillaries ,the weather was less than ideal ,that said we still managed about a dozen fresh individuals ,also of interest ,as I was looking at a resting Heath Frit; I noticed ,perched just below it ,a largish Dragonfly ,and blow me …………… A Norfolk Hawker ! We tried to put another couple of enthusiasts on to it ,
and they in turn ,pointed out an area of Cow -Wheat with around fifteen Heath Fritillary larvae ,rapidly stripping the plants ! the first I,ve seen for many years ! A quick flying visit to Grove Ferry ,where we saw another Norfolk Hawker (in flight ) and a new Damselfly species (for me )
The Variable Damselfly ,probably saw 50-60 . We also found about 25 Drinker moth caterpillars and the one pictured is doing what its name implies !
Regards Allan.W.
P1080354.JPG
P1080321.JPG
P1080294.JPG
P1080299.JPG
P1080156.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Just over an hour spent on Fairwood Common, near my home on the Gower, late this afternoon saw half a dozen fading Marsh Fritillaries, 8 Small Pearls, a handful of Small Heath and a Common Blue.

Most pleasing though was a fresh, summer brood Small Tortoiseshell:
1SmTortups(1).jpg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

3 Large Blues at Collard Hill, Somerset, today - also Small Heath and Meadow Brown.
DSC08356.JPG
Rivoldini

Post by Rivoldini »

Aricia artaxerxes-salmacis in County Durham this afternoon.
Attachments
Northern Brown Argus 1 BMQ 9-6-19.jpg

Return to “Sightings”