Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Maurice for your very kind words :D

Cheers Dave. I popped up to Wrecclesham this afternoon in between showers - I hadn't meant to, but y'know ....... I just couldn't stay away :lol: I was pleased that I did as the first butterfly I saw was a newly emerged Glanville just drying her wings. She couldn't even fly properly and her maiden flight was something of a disaster as she fell down into the grass. Within seconds she was approached by a very amorous male. She tried to wriggle into the undergrowth but he persisted until he found her. She made further attempts to escape whilst in cop but after 3 short flights she gave up and settled down on a bramble leaf. I spent the next 50 mins watching them (this is becoming a habit :lol: ) and taking shots from every possible angle whilst the weather went through several changes of sun, showers and cloud. It's good to know that there will be Glanvilles again next season:
P1180302ad.jpg
P1180236ad.jpg
She didn't even have time to sort out her proboscis!
P1180205ad.jpg
P1180197ad.jpg
P1180236bd.jpg
P1180214bd.jpg
P1180214ad.jpg
Just before they separated they became a little restless, shuffling around a bit. She put a hind leg on his wing - I am not sure whether it was to tell him to stay still or push him away!
P1180286ad.jpg
The moment of separation:
P1180304ad.jpg
On my way out I saw another couple:
P1180332ad.jpg
P1180335ad.jpg
P1180352ad.jpg
Worth an hour out of anyone's day. My physio is going to be sooo pleased with me :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Good to know the Glanvilles are still hanging on at Wrecclesham.
I've never been there but understand the colony is long established,
despite stories of sand extraction, and other disturbances.

Lucky Lady to get those shots,
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

Looks like you made the right decision to pay a further visit, Pauline. Those undersides are absolutely stunning. How I wish this species was commoner and more widespread in the UK.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Really good to see, Pauline, great shots of the mating pair :D I had a feeling that the females were yet to emerge. Good news for the future, as you say :D

Mike.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Pauline :D Good news that there should be some there next year :D Lush undersides :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Very lucky Trevor :D I seem to remember reading once that this species actually needs a degree of disturbance - but I could be wrong!

You may remember David that the Wrecclesham site was as good as a nature reserve with a wide range of creatures. I've probably posted this before but this is where I took this shot:
P1140615ad.jpg
What a waste! :( (no pun intended).

Cheers Mike - you need to get up there if you haven't already been. Just behind the marble bench (preferably a weekend :lol: ).

Thank you Wurzel - tho I have to say I do enjoy a trip to the IOW :D

Just recently I have spent a bit of time watching Common Blues and those amazing Blue females. Interestingly, in the time I have spent with them the males have shown little or no interest in the blue females (although there are lots of them). Today I was determined to find a Brown female and the 2 that I did find were both in cop. The other thing I have noticed is that the blue females behave quite similar to the males (at least on this site), traveling large distances and skirting the ground as though they are looking for emerged females. I am not sure of the genetics. I had always assumed that the Blue females were the result of a recessive gene as they used to be less common. I am now wondering (in view of the fact that the males didn't seem interested in the Blue females) whether it is a dominant gene carried by the males. I am sure one of our scientists will put me right here. Anyway, here are the photos. I won't tell you how many I had to take today in the 'moderate breeze' to get a few in focus:
P1180435ad.jpg
P1180449ad.jpg
P1180468ad.jpg
P1180413ad.jpg
On returning home this was swooping over the garden sending the birds into a panic. I am 99% certain this time that it is a Red Kite:
P1180489ad.jpg
Just a sneaky little update for the gardeners on that little strip of garden where I chopped the hedge down:
P1180487ad.jpg
P1180486ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"I am 99% certain this time that it is a Red Kite:" and you'd be 100% correct :D
Lovely shots of the blues and some interesting ideas though I'm not up to speed on butterfly genetics. Saying that my money is on the blue females being caused by a 'gene complex', a set of genes working together as there aren't just blue or brown females but lots of graduations in between :? Just a guess mind you :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel. I am afraid the only genetics I have studied in any depth relates to 'Coat colour in dogs' many years ago but I'm not sure that translates to butterfly scales!

This morning I met up with a friend for a cuppa and a natter in her garden which is almost a wildlife reserve in itself. Various Demoiselles and Damsel Flies flitted around her various ponds whilst I examined all the Mullein larva on her plants:
P1180385ad.jpg
We noticed her cat had something dangling from her mouth and thankfully this slow worm was rescued completely unharmed:
P1180380a.jpg
P1180378ad.jpg
Whilst there I also took a couple of shots of larva on blackthorn. I wouldn't expect anyone to recognise the first but the second is very distinctive - if you look close up it is very colourful and quite a large beast. Any ideas?
P1180375ad.jpg
P1180374ad.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

You always manage to post something that bit different, Pauline. Practically every time I read your diary I am taken slightly outside my comfort zone.

Good to see the slow worm escaped unharmed, and nice to see that corner of your garden that has undergone a personality transplant.

All we're missing is an update on your chickens! :)
millerd

Post by millerd »

More splendid Glanvilles, Pauline! That looks like a weekend adventure for me, and this time I'll find the magic entrance behind the fur coats or whatever it was... :wink: :)

I've also noticed how male Common Blues seem to ignore the blue females - it seems to show they rely a lot on sight to find a mate, rather than smell.

Cheers,

Dave
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Pauline ,
I think larvae number 2. is Green brindled crescent.
Regards Allan.W.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Lovely Glanville pictures from Wrecclesham, it must be at least ten years since I visited.I had no idea they were still there!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

All in good time David - got to keep something for a rainy day! :)
millerd wrote:it seems to show they rely a lot on sight to find a mate, rather than smell.
I believe so Dave - we have all seen a variety of butterflies land on flowers, discarded rubbish, clothing, etc as long as it is a similar colour to that of a prospective mate. There were a lot of blue flowers about (Speedwell?) but just like the Blue females they were ignored by the males. I mentioned earlier that from personal observation these blue females also seem to behave in a similar fashion to the males. What I am also seeing (after quite a few visits to this site) is that the blue females seem to have emerged first and it is only now that I am seeing brown females quite regularly (and quite often in cop). So it seems that the blue females share certain characteristics with the males that the brown females do not. I shall keep watching. A few more shots from recent visits:
P1180495ad.jpg
P1180509ad.jpg
P1180517ad.jpg
P1180561ad.jpg
You certainly know your moths Allan. It seems you are spot on. Thank you for taking the trouble to provide the ID for me. After a few little hitches the Dark Arches larva is also doing well.

Thank you Mark. They are not exactly where they used to be (well, they probably are but we can't get in there) but in a corner of an adjoining meadow where, I'm reliably informed, they resided prior to their existence on the main site.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Whilst I am waiting for the explosion of posts which must surely come after this wonderful weather, including I hope some lovely piccies of the glorious Glanvilles to entertain me(well, there's nothing on TV tonight :wink: :lol: ), for my own records I shall add a few more from today which include a worn Small Copper and 4 Green Hairstreaks egg-laying:
P1180593ad.jpg
P1180580ad.jpg
P1180535ad.jpg
P1180541ad.jpg
P1180544ad.jpg
So easy to walk past it without even knowing it was there which I did several times:
P1180554ad.jpg
and all the while I was being watched:
P1180529ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A lovely sequence of shots Pauline - especially like the last Greenie - it looks literally 'spotless' :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:All in good time David - got to keep something for a rainy day!
We might have a couple this week so I'll look forward to the update. :)

Love the Small Copper images. They DO always seem drawn to asters.

More interestingly marked female Common Blues too. Are the ones with blue suffusion becoming commoner or is it that we're all paying more attention to them and neglecting to photograph the brown ones?
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - there are still a few half decent ones around but obviously most are getting worn now. And yes, this lady was spotless :)

Thank you David. I would like to think my observation skills have improved over the years but they haven't improved that much! I remember as recent as 3-4 years ago seeing a blue female up at Noar Hill which caused much excitement. We knew then that they occasionally cropped up but never in these numbers (although I can only speak for the sites that I frequent). Even now I can remember how active that female blue was compared to her brown counterparts. As of today I can state quite categorically that there are still many more Blue females than Browns on my local site. It is possible that because the brown females tend to be more sedentary than the blues I may have missed some but not to that extent. Another example from this morning:
P1180597ad.jpg
In the interests of equality I thought I would turn my attention to the males, many of which are in fine condition. I fear I shall need a lot more practice before I can do them justice:
P1180621ad.jpg
P1180640ad.jpg
P1180626ad.jpg
P1180631d.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Possibly the only person who may be interested in this post is Paul H. If I had found anything of interest Paul I would have emailed you but I spent an hour this afternoon scratching around in the leaf litter under specific trees at OWH without any success - not that any was expected but one has to try :roll: :lol: Needle in a haystack - and some!! It had come over quite cloudy and breezy but before I left I thought I might as well check out the Adonis (can't seem to do them justice either :roll: ):
P1180669ad.jpg
P1180680ad.jpg
P1180678ad.jpg
This one was an Ab with a damaged wing but he took off before I could get better shots:
P1180696ad.jpg
P1180702ad.jpg
One thing I did find under an Elm leaf in a dark area (hence the rubbishy blurred pic) were these - I can't even tell if they are eggs, pupa or what?:
P1180658ad.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Not so rubbish or blurred that I can't make out that those things are the pupae of something Pauline. Pupae of what I don't know but definitely pupae of some sort of insect, perhaps a micro moth :?:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Those are lovely Adonis, Pauline! You've managed to capture that shining pale turquoise colour beautifully. :)

Managed a morning with your Glanvilles: pictures to follow in about a week or so... :wink: There were getting close to 20 flying today, which was quite impressive. :)

Thanks for the detailed directions.

Cheers,

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”