ernie f

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
ernie f

Re: ernie f

Post by ernie f »

19th May 2019, 2-3 pm, Manor Farm, Hazy sun, 18 degrees

I don't visit this location often because quite frankly it hasn't been very good in the past. It is a working dairy farm but its fields are open to the public. However it is now organic and the field boundaries are left to grow wild. They are even re-introducing hedgerows! It appears to be improving a bit because today I saw...

2 Brim, 1 OTip, 4 C Blue (3m + 1f), 1 Sm Copper and 8 Small Heath all along one side of one field.
P1060636.JPG
Also 4 Mother Shipton moths (a record for one location/day for me). This one was a lucky shot - posing so I could get a shot of its under-carriage.
Mother Shipton 321 (5).JPG
And a Cantharis rustica soldier beetle
Cantharis rustica soldier beetle.JPG
Plus a Sainfoin just coming out and plenty of Ribwort Plantain in flower (much overlooked I think)
Sainfoin 321.JPG
Ribwort Plantain 321.JPG
Last night a Cockchafer Beetle dropped by for a visit.
Cockchafer Beetle.JPG
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to read of the Farm 'reverting' though if Brexit goes ahead will Farmers keep going with the stewardship that's been encouraged by EU policies :? fingers crossed that they do...getting back to Lepidoptera thanks for posting the underside view of the Mother Shipton - I had a similar view today, didn't have a clue what it was and it flew away before I could get a look at the topside :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

ernie f wrote:19th May 2019, 2-3 pm, Manor Farm, Hazy sun, 18 degrees

I don't visit this location often because quite frankly it hasn't been very good in the past. It is a working dairy farm but its fields are open to the public. However it is now organic and the field boundaries are left to grow wild. They are even re-introducing hedgerows!
Well, it's a start at least, ernie. If all farms allowed field margins such latitude then some of our wildlife might increase in numbers!
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

22nd May 2019, 10.45-11.45 am, Magdalen Hill, Mostly sunny, 17 degrees

A short trip here today, only to the scrape and back.

2 Small Copper, 4 Brim, 12 C Blue (1 ab), 1 Sm White, 1 Br Argus, 6 Sm Blue

My first Small Blues of the year. Tried to get a mug shot.
a.JPG
b.JPG
The "mug" shot, after a bit of cropping.
c.JPG
This one shows individual blue scales.
d.JPG
This one shows difference in degree of blue on the wing depending on light/shade and sun direction.
e.JPG
And finally a nice female ab Common Blue.
f.JPG
There was also one Holly Blue still in my garden when I returned home.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

23rd May 2019, 9.45-11.45 am, St Catherine's Hill, Full Sun, 20 degrees

21 Brown Argus, 22 Common Blue, 3 Brim, 3 Sm Heath, 2 OTip, 1 Griz Skp, 1 GV White, 1 Spec Wd, 1 Peacock, 4 Dingy Skip, 1 Sm Blue, 1 Red Ad, 2 Adonis Blue, 1 Marsh Frit

Cuckoo Heard

Pics now

Brown Argus - the one on the right was wing-rolling right in the face of the one on the left.
Argus a.JPG
Never seen Adonis at this location before. The warden of Magdalen Hill put me onto them.
Adonis a.JPG
Adonis b.JPG
This Grizzlie spent ages taking salts from the chalky path.
Griz a.JPG
Hampshire is not known for its Marsh Frits. This is the first one I have ever seen at this location and the closest one to where I live.
Marsh a.JPG
Marsh b.JPG
Marsh c.JPG
Marsh d.JPG
Marsh e.JPG
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great work with the Small Blues Ernie :D Loving the Marshie too - it's great finding a butterfly in a new setting/site :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Thanks Wurzel. It was a good day for me. Even when I got home I found a Small Tortoiseshell in my back garden - not a species I have seen there before. This brought my daily tally to 15 species. I have not looked back through my records yet but it feels like that is a max species count for any day in May for me.
Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

A great count and an excellent range there, ernie. Looks like many species are consolidating on last year's positive showing.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

David - I am sure you are right. The current weather is making it a bit easier for them too.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

25th May 2019, 8.45-10.45 am, St Catherine's Hill, Mostly sunny, 17 degrees

I started off in the same place I saw the Marsh Frit and Adonis Blue two days ago. Saw neither today.

Then I continued my butterfly count, this time along the central section of the hill facing the river.

8 Dingy, 25 C Blue, 10 B Argus, 3 Griz, 4 S Heath, 2 Brim, 1 L White, 1 H Blue, 2 Sp Wd
Backlit Common Blue
Backlit Common Blue
Also 1 Burnet Companion and 2 Mint moths

Also a Strangalia maculata beetle.
Strangalia Maculata Beetle 21 (1).JPG
The most notable records I seem to be getting over the last week or so are for Brown Argus.

I have broken three of my records with them.
Location max = 44 (St Cats)
Daily max of 35 (Mag Hill)
Annual max of 80 (all locations visited so far this year).

And we are not finished with them this year of course so things can only get better.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

25th May 2019, Home Farm, 2-3 pm, mostly sunny, 20 degrees

Two entries in my PD today. This one because my wife wanted to go to a garden centre. I take her in the car and this gives me the opportunity to "slope off" for a quick butterfly hunt.

I spoke about this location recently, Same stuff as before but suddenly there were also 3 (maybe 4) Burnet Companion moths. I gave chase.
Burnet Companion 21 (1).JPG
Burnet Companion 21 (3).JPG
Burnet Companion 21 (8).JPG
Burnet Companion 21 (13).JPG
This fellow got so peeved by me chasing after him and getting right up his snout with a camera that he vibrated his wings the speed of a hummingbird while clinging on for dear life. He just would not stop so I gave him his space and chased a different one instead.
Burnet Companion 21 (7).JPG
Then a nice Sloe Bug to round off the hour.
Sloe Bug 21 (3).JPG
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good skills Ernie - that's a technique I use too :wink: :lol: Another good one that I use is taking everyone to Ikea and calling in at Bentley Wood one the way home :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Good to see Marshies popping up unexpectedly, Ernie. There was a time not so long ago when it was taboo to mention seeing them in Hampshire at all as they were so infrequent. I like the backlit blue shot too! :)

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

ernie f wrote:...The most notable records I seem to be getting over the last week or so are for Brown Argus.

I have broken three of my records with them.
Location max = 44 (St Cats)
Daily max of 35 (Mag Hill)
Annual max of 80 (all locations visited so far this year).

And we are not finished with them this year of course so things can only get better.
That's really encouraging, ernie. Strange that Common Blue isn't delivering similar statistics. Perhaps the rock rose did a lot better than the bird's foot trefoil last year?
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel - Yep. Gloria loves going to garden centres. I now have at least one butterfly location for every garden centre within a 20 mile radius of our house! :lol:

Dave (Miller) - Thanks. I had no idea that Marshie would be there and when I went back two days later it wasn't anymore. Also, I was careful not to say precisely where I saw it. St Catherine's Hill is a massive location and where I saw it was not that obvious anyway.

David - I don't know why the Common Blues are not so common at the moment. Getting 200+ at Magdalen Hill is a possibility but so far I have only seen a fraction of that number there this year. Maybe more to come?
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

27th May 2019, 10.30-11.00 am, Noar Hill Overcast, 16 degrees

A quick look here today. Just 2 Small Blues in the lowest pit on the reserve. I got a proper mug shot this time though rather than my last effort which was a cropped shot.
ad.JPG
aa.JPG
ab.JPG
ac.JPG
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

27th May 2019, 2.30-4.00 pm Wrecclesham Pit, 40 percent sunshine, 18 degrees, gusty light breeze

3 Glanvilles here.
z1.JPG
z2.JPG
z3.JPG
z4.JPG
z5.JPG
z6.JPG
z7.JPG
z8.JPG
z9.JPG
z11.JPG
z12.JPG
z13.JPG
The front legs of the Glanville are vestigial. I like to think of them as "arms". It was gusty today. When the wind blew one way, one perched individual would fling out an arm the other way to balance. When the wind blew it the other way - out would go the other arm. It was quite comical to watch.
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant stuff Ernie :D Where abouts at Wrecclesham are they - it's been a few years since saw them there? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel - I'll send you a private message.
Ernie F
millerd

Post by millerd »

Hi Ernie - I dropped by Wrecclesham yesterday morning, but couldn't work out how to access the likely area - could it have been you I saw contemplating the field across the back of the cricket pitch? I was discouraged as well by the lack of sunshine and those gusty winds and went over to Chiddingfold instead.

I should have persevered - those are great shots of the Glanvilles in distinctly tricky conditions. :)

Cheers,

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”