millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Andrew - I rather like the Brown Argus too. They are a real success story on my local patch, with numbers increasing year on year, and it has been good to capture them as they emerge this year in all their glory. Incredibly attractive for what is actually a little brown butterfly - though so much more than that of course! :wink: :)

Time to go further afield again. On Sunday 12th May I had arranged to take advantage of the improvement in the weather by meeting up with Wurzel down at Bentley Wood. As expected, there was a good showing of Pearl-bordered Fritillaries, perhaps more than either of us can remember seeing in recent years. There were still fresh examples, and all had to be checked out to see if any Small Pearls had emerged amongst them. As it turned out, none was the sister species: all were Pearls.
PBF1 120519.JPG
PBF2 120519.JPG
PBF3 120519.JPG
PBF4 120519.JPG
PBF5 120519.JPG
PBF6 120519.JPG
The Eastern Clearing also contained several Grizzled Skippers - it always seems a bit strange to me encountering them in a wood as I generally see them on chalk downland.
GS2 120519.JPG
As Wurzel and I made our way back to the car park, he spotted a Marsh Fritillary to add to the list. I failed to get a lens on it, but Wurzel managed a quick shot for the record.

It was good to see you again Wurzel - I suspect we spent much more time chewing the fat than actually getting close to the butterfies! :wink: :) :lol:

With the day still relatively young and continuing sunny, my plan was to circumnavigate Salisbury and head for Martin Down, so I bid farewell to Wurzel and set off westwards.

Another post is required for that...

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Dave, there was a indeed a lot of fat chewed so much so in fact that I was quite surprised that I had any shots on my memory card when I got home :shock: :lol: Looking forward to the Martin Down installment :D
David M

Post by David M »

This seems to be a good year for Pearl Bordered Fritillaries. Perhaps the spectacular warmth of the Easter weekend got them off to the best start possible.

Nice to see a few still flying. I'm sure the stragglers will soon be joined by their cousins, Small Pearls.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm struggling to keep up with the diaries Dave as you can probably tell but I'm trying to catch up in fits and starts. I just have to comment on those outstanding Brown Argus shots from way back, especially the underside - even better than the Green Hairstreaks ..... and now I've just seen that shot of the multiple Small Blues :mrgreen: :shock: Slow down a little can you? :wink: :lol:
millerd

Post by millerd »

I'm struggling the same way, Pauline, and I now can't keep up with my own diary let alone anyone else's! Too many sunny days... :D I was especially happy with that backlit Brown Argus - not a common shot to get, that one. :)

I'm sure the Small Pearls will appear soon David. :)

Martin Down coming up, Wurzel - it's taken a while just to go through the photos... :)

Sunday 12th May (continued):

The drive into and around Salisbury was fairly easy, and I was soon at Martin Down. Within a few minutes of leaving the car at the main car park, I was seeing Marsh Fritillaries along Bockerley Ditch. Overall I saw a couple of dozen Marshies, and I didn't even reach one of their other hotspots somewhat further on across this large area of downland. Other species seen: Orange Tip, GVW, Brimstone, Small Heath, Peacock, Holly Blue, Small Blue, Common Blue, Adonis Blue, Brown Argus, Small Copper, Green Hairstreak, Dingy Skipper and Grizzled Skipper. Of these, Dingies and Brimstones were probably the most frequently seen. Here is a selection:
There were many aerial displays like this
There were many aerial displays like this
The only one seen: my first of 2019
The only one seen: my first of 2019
Only a few so far, but very fresh
Only a few so far, but very fresh
Just the one seen
Just the one seen
A typical vantage point
A typical vantage point
Posing nicely
Posing nicely
One of many females seen on the ground
One of many females seen on the ground
A mating pair
A mating pair
Good numbers of Grizzlies
Good numbers of Grizzlies
I'll reserve a separate post for the Marshies.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

12th May, Martin Down: Marsh Fritillaries.
MF2 120519.JPG
MF1 120519.JPG
MF4 120519.JPG
MF6 120519.JPG
MF9 120519.JPG
MF11 120519.JPG
MF13 120519.JPG
MF15 120519.JPG
MF19a 120519.JPG
MF20 120519.JPG
MF22 120519.JPG
I came across a new female struggling in the grass. I know that quite often they are so laden with eggs that they are unable to fly properly, and this seemed to be the case - especially given the size of this individual's abdomen. After it basked for a while on my hand, I placed it back on the ground, whereupon it was immediately found by an amorous male, and without further preamble the two paired.
MF23 120519.JPG
MF pair2 120519.JPG
MF pair4 120519.JPG
MF pair1 120519.JPG
A rather splendid afternoon. :)

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Another one here struggling to keep up with diaries with so much going on lately.

A great selection of species in your last couple of reports Dave, especially the Pearls (which it looks like I will miss again this year) and the Marshies (which I caught up with this week :D)

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I think I recognise a couple of the older ones there Dave :wink: Martin Down has really come on over the last few years - it's always been a 'safe bet' but now it seems to be working upwards to 'number one choice' :D Great shots of the pair in cop - she looks fit to burst :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

How I love that truly atmospheric image of the jousting, airborne Marshies set against a quintessentially British backdrop of green fields and part cloudy skies!

They are the winners in the photography competition as far as I’m concerned.
kevling

Post by kevling »

Dave,

Lovely set of Marshie photos, especially the two in flight. Great work

Regards
Kev
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you all once again. :)

The continuing reasonable weather has kept me out most days, and I have become distinctly behind with my diary - a week adrift now. So I have to go back to Monday 13th May for the next installment(s).

A lovely sunny day with a cool start, and I headed for the Chilterns - first stop Totternhoe. I initially looked in vain for Small Blues, but soon found Dukes in all the usual spots and good numbers of Dingy Skippers and Green Hairstreaks as well.
DB1 130519.JPG
DB2 130519.JPG
DB4 130519.JPG
DS1 130519.JPG
I also bumped into Wolfson in exactly the same spot we had encountered each other this time last year - a curious coincidence. Overall, I think we saw a dozen species, including a single Small Blue amongst the many Dingies, and large numbers of Brimstones.

My plan was to continue on to Pitstone Quarry, with guaranteed Small Blues to be seen there, and Wolfson decided to come as well, having never previously been to the site. It certainly didn't disappoint - there were probably hundreds of Small Blues flying, mostly males, but there were one or two females.
SB2 130519.JPG
SB3 130519.JPG
SB4 130519.JPG
SB6 130519.JPG
SB7 130519.JPG
Once again, Dingy Skippers and Green Hairstreaks were everywhere as well, with a few Grizzled Skippers too.
GH1 130519.JPG
Both the first two species seem to be having really good years on all the sites where I've seen them. At one point, we were talking about the infrequency of groups of puddling butterflies in the UK when there on the path in front of us was a cluster of over twenty Small Blues. Not puddling as such but taking salts from something noxious on the path. In getting close to take photos, we disturbed a few, but a core of fifteen or so remained.
SB group1 130519.JPG
SB group3 130519.JPG
SB group5 130519.JPG
While down on the ground getting my photos, I became the centre of attention for further Small Blues, and I ended up with butterflies on my hand and arm, and on the screen, lens and shutter button of my camera.
SB11 130519.JPG
SB13 130519.JPG
They were reluctant to move and one in particular persisted for some while as I wandered slowly along, and actually remained on my camera as I took photos of a mating pair.
SB pair1 130519.JPG
Wolfson headed off back to Cambridgeshire now, but I had time to go the short distance to Ivinghoe and have a quick look at one of the gullies below the Beacon. Here were more Dukes and Dingies, plus a few Brown Argus for a change.
DS1 130519.JPG
DB4 130519.JPG
DB3 130519.JPG
DB2 130519.JPG
Another good day, and a sociable one as well - it was great to see you again, Wolfson. :)

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

How I've managed it I don't know, but I've only just seen your Marshie & Small Blue adventures.
Both very successful by the looks of it!. Love the Small Blue huddle. Some great shots there.

Trevor.
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

It was a memorable day that was full of butterflies and the Small Blue finale will take some beating. Thank you again for the tour of Pitstone.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fabulous Small Blues Dave - love the way the white fringes looks silver :D :mrgreen: The group 'taking salts' (such a polite way to describe what they're actually doing :wink: :lol: ) is a sight to behold and to get them on your hand :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Small Blues (along with marshies and greenstreaks) are having a great flight period, Dave. Usually when I see images of multiple butterflies puddling it's from the continent, rather than from within the UK!!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, everyone - yes, the three species David mentioned (plus Dingies as well) seem to be doing well this spring. In particular I have seen Green Hairstreaks almost everywhere I've been this year so far.

However, there are none on my local patch unfortunately, but on the morning of Tuesday 14th May I counted 74 butterflies of nine species - which is pretty good. The vast majority were Brown Argus, Small Heath and Holly Blue (of course... :) ), with only ones and twos of others. However, Peacocks have reappeared - like the Small Tortoiseshells of a couple of weeks ago they are out in the open areas away from where they first appeared back in March (and February!). The Brown Argus were especially fresh.
female
female
male
male
Holly Blue scavenging for minerals in the "Badlands"...
Holly Blue scavenging for minerals in the "Badlands"...
One of a couple seen today
One of a couple seen today
A new individual
A new individual
Lovely fresh female Small White
Lovely fresh female Small White
After that curtainraiser, I headed south, and first of all to the Box Hill area, starting with Juniper Bottom. I always think this spot has a foreign feel to it - I don't know why.
Juniper Bottom view.JPG
There wasn't a great deal flying, but I did find a few Dingy Skippers, a couple of Green Hairstreaks and one Grizzly.
DS1 140519.JPG
GH1 140519.JPG
Up on the main slopes, there was very little more - a handful of Common Blues and a single Adonis. Things must be a bit behind here.

After a cup of tea, I headed across the Mole Valley to Denbies Hillside. There was far more on the wing here, including good numbers of Adonis Blues, Green Hairstreaks and Dingy Skippers.
AB1 140519.JPG
All blue butterflies seem to like the way I taste...
All blue butterflies seem to like the way I taste...
GH2 140519.JPG
As the sun went down as the afternoon progressed, the Adonis started to bask, often in their characteristic head-down pose, until there were brilliant blue jewels scattered across the hillside as you walked eastwards.
AB4 140519.JPG
AB7 140519.JPG
There were one or two Common Blues as well - shining a more violet blue...
CB1 140519.JPG
...but the Adonis were the stars of the show.
AB6 140519.JPG
Dave
kevling

Post by kevling »

Dave,

Playing catch up with the diaries this week. Some lovely photos of the Small Blue cluster. It's not often you see that.
You must let me know what line of aftershave you use, as those blues seem to like you :lol:

Regards
Kev
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Some fantastic shots of those Small Blues Dave, I'd loved to have seen them :D :mrgreen: I'm hoping I'll see some thing different when I'm in Eastbourne, I hope lots of Butterflies are still about :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning Blues there Dave and lush chocolatey Brown Argus :D :mrgreen: I see what you mean about that spot, Juniper Bottom, Dave, it looks very continental - reminds me of the areas in the Dordogne 8) :mrgreen: It would be even better if it held the same species :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nice report, Dave. It's absolutely redolent of late May with all the grassland species building in numbers. Won't be long before Meadow Browns and Ringlets boost overall numbers still further.

Return to “Personal Diaries”