Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Pauline

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting critter - I saw one similar to this a few years back and posted thinking it was a moth only to find out that it was a type of Caddis Fly :). I'm not sure if there's if this is a Caddis Fly I think it's an Alderfly :? Mind you I was right about the Duke last time so according to the law of averages I might be wrong about this :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Blimey Wurzel, that was quick! I've since come across this which suggests that it may be a Ichneumon wasp of the Hyposoter genus?

http://tristram.squarespace.com/home/20 ... -pupa.html

Hope you can see this.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Yep that looks good for the pupa :D I was having a go at IDing the final bug :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Wurzel, yeah, I got that just after I'd posted :roll: :oops: I've now looked up Alderfly and you are spot on. Funny little things they are! Just the larva left now then I'll shut up and go away :wink: :lol:
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:...I'm afraid this weather is keeping me in - it is not just windy it is freezing!.....
Keeping plenty of us in, Pauline. Feeding the chickens at 8.00 this morning was a Labour of Hercules - wet, blowing a gale, and having to tread over all the fallen pots from the previous night's high winds.

Hard to believe five days prior it was 20c with hardly a breath of wind. I guess that's the UK for you.

Hopefully it will brighten up soon so we can all get out for the Common Blue emergence!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Just catching up with your sightings, Pauline - it seems I need to get back to Noar Hill again as things have moved on apace since my last trip! I don't think I've ever seen a Grizzlie there, so that would be good to see. Incidentally, I saw a pale Duke like the one you saw, but a couple of years ago up at one of the Chiltern sites - it was markedly paler than others of the same vintage, and I hummed and ha'd about whether or not it was leucoides... I still haven't decided!

Cheers,

Dave
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

If you're coming back to this area Dave please let me know as it would be good to meet up again.

Hi David, the good news is I now have all the chickens together. They are free range when I am there and they can now all go in a large roofed enclosure which surrounds their (heated) kennel where they roost. This means that when I can get out I can do so without worrying about the cat:
P1160420ad.jpg
That little patch down the side of the house is still a 'work in progress'. The fence is now up and I will have finished by the weekend. Every bit of me aches ....... :lol:
P1160432ad.jpg
As of this afternoon I also have heating and hot water :D so it's all coming together, except that my bed collapsed last night :shock: I'm not very big (honest!!!). I may be sleeping on the floor tonight ..... :roll: :wink:
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:Hi David, the good news is I now have all the chickens together. They are free range when I am there and they can now all go in a large roofed enclosure which surrounds their (heated) kennel where they roost. This means that when I can get out I can do so without worrying about the cat:
Sounds like a decent compromise, Pauline. With those marans and legbars you must be getting eggs of different colours? Is that a Black Rock or a Welsummer at the front?
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Pauline, sorry but I had to laugh at your bed collapsing :lol: You get things right all going for you and then that happens :lol: I thought I was troubled :lol: Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote:Pauline, sorry but I had to laugh at your bed collapsing...
I hadn't spotted that! Do you ever get a run of good luck, Pauline? God knows you've earned one.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi David - yes, I get some gorgeous eggs. You wouldn't believe the colours. In particular the Wheaten Marans (Candy and Flossie :) ) produce huge dark brown eggs splattered with almost black spots and the Cream Legbar (Bramble) produces blue. A cream egg from Petal (Swedish Flower) and I am told Olive is a French Black Maran? Anyway, light brown egg from her. I think I do deserve a quiet patch David. D'you know, a few years ago I was in bed and there was an almighty crash - a huge lump of the ceiling had fallen down - just missing the parrot cages :shock: There's not much that surprises me now :wink: :lol:

Goldie, I'm pleased it gave you a laugh, really. I can laugh myself now that it's all sorted. I hope you are improving but I'll be in touch soon. I could have dealt with some emails this morning but I hope you'll understand that I just couldn't resist the pull of Noar Hill. It seems like ages since I was out and the next couple of days are looking a bit unlikely. Anyway, there were not just one, but three pairs of mating Dukes. Just to prove I don't take them for granted this is all about the Dukes so here they are:
P1160556ad.jpg
P1160628ad.jpg
P1160608ad.jpg
P1160526ad.jpg
So much for courtship! I wouldn't put up with that! :wink:
P1160642ad.jpg
P1160551ad.jpg
The pair of Dukes that I monitored were in cop for 1 hour and 20 mins. In the past I have timed them usually around 45 mins. I am assuming that the additional time was due to the weather which was overcast and cool for some of the time. There were a couple of Red Kites around and I think that this might be one of them but I didn't see it fly off:
P1160488ad.jpg
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Hi, Pauline its a buzzard :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks Andy - I can only ever tell by the tail when they're flying :roll: Still waiting to be introduced to the new puppy!

I have to say it - as much as I enjoyed the Dukes this morning they were 'incidental' , the reason for my visit being once again the Green Hairstreaks. I watched several fly around one of the usual trees, noting that a couple had gone down low, presumably to escape the strong breeze. I thought of you Trevor as I lost sight of them time and again. I decided to climb down the bank and look in the more sheltered area below. I stood quite still as I scanned all the foliage at every level without success. I glanced down again and about 6" from where I stood a brand new Green Hairstreak was lying on a bramble leaf. This wasn't a Hairstreak lying on its side to warm up. This was a soft, floppy Hairstreak trying to dry and harden its wings. It certainly hadn't been there before. It was only yards away from the mating Dukes I was monitoring so I was able to watch as it turned itself over to dry the other side and gradually adopt an upright pose. I have reared these a couple of times now but I have never, ever seen this in the wild. I watched it for 90 minutes and unfortunately I missed the maiden flight as that happened in the 30 seconds it took for the Dukes to part company.
P1160616ad.jpg
P1160596ad.jpg
P1160607ad.jpg
There were also numerous Dingy Skippers around:
P1160508ad.jpg
P1160500ad.jpg
P1160513ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Blinding shots of the Dukes in cop Pauline - a species I need in my X Rated collection :mrgreen: :D , though I recently added Pearls so I mustn't be greedy :wink: That is a stunning Greenstreak, immaculate :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:Hi David - yes, I get some gorgeous eggs. You wouldn't believe the colours. In particular the Wheaten Marans (Candy and Flossie :) ) produce huge dark brown eggs splattered with almost black spots and the Cream Legbar (Bramble) produces blue. A cream egg from Petal (Swedish Flower) and I am told Olive is a French Black Maran? Anyway, light brown egg from her.
I'm sure you do get some spectacular eggs, Pauline. Marans probably lay the most attractive ones of all....and they have beautiful plumage too.

French Black Maran? Not heard of that breed, nor the Swedish Flower, but that's a lovely, eclectic little flock you've got.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, love all your lovely shots :mrgreen: :mrgreen: wish I was taking photos like that , the Green Hair Streaks are a favourite of mine :D Goldie :D
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Fantastic shots of the Dukes Pauline, 3 pairings as well! And well done finding that beautiful fresh hairstreak.
I love the last shot of the Dingy with it's wings fully spread, don't think I've ever seen one looking better.
What a great day, greenie's all round. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel. I was really excited about that Hairstreak and had to call John from Winchester over to have a look at it :D Well done with the Pearls.

Thank you David - They all have such nice temperaments. I have no plans to get any more tho'.

Thank you Goldie - Before you know it you'll be properly mobile again - your photography is coming on in leaps and bounds. You wouldn't believe how many of mine goes in the bin! :roll:

I'm so glad you like them Andrew. I know your standards are high. For me a lot of the challenge is finding something just that little bit different which is perhaps even more difficult than the photography :)

I have Paul to thank for my outing this morning and his very precise directions (you can tie grass better than me Paul!). I have reared WLH before (well, how could anyone forget????!! :wink: :lol: ) but I have not photographed larva in the wild. Not only did I find the 2 that Paul directed me to I found a couple of others as well - despite the volunteer warden telling me that there was no Elm on site! It never ceases to amaze me how some folk can give such precise and helpful directions. I remember once that Mike (Maximus) directed me to a particular cowslip on Noar Hill and I was able to walk straight up to it - that takes some doing! Anyway, I was a bit stressed out as one of my finches had just died, it had started to rain and there was this weird guy behind me with a long white beard asking what I was doing - turns out he was helping with the sheep. The wind was strong but I couldn't hang around as the carpet fitter was coming so I couldn't explore the wider area. These are the best of the shots I managed under the trees and overcast skies:
P1160685ad.jpg
P1160681ad.jpg
P1160671ad.jpg
P1160660ad.jpg
The last one seemed to be on the move and like tortoises (I have 2) it is surprising how far they can travel in a short time.
David M

Post by David M »

Whilst I love your images of the Dukes and Green Hairstreaks, it’s your Dingy Skipper sequence that stands out. I’ve neglected this species for a few years and hope to pay them more attention this year….if only I could find any!
David M

Post by David M »

..I have reared WLH before (well, how could anyone forget????!! :wink: :lol: ) but I have not photographed larva in the wild.
Yes, your rearing went awry that time, Pauline, but you did it with best intentions and gained an intimate insight into the early stages of this elusive butterfly.

Glad to see you got an audience with those wild larvae. It must be the most overlooked species in the UK, and those who study it carefully can not only make it look easy but can provide pointers for those like me who would like to learn more about this species and its lifecycle.

Return to “Personal Diaries”