Andrew555

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Andrew555

Post by trevor »

Some excellent Spring images from April, Andrew. The mating OT's especially.

Great stuff,
Trevor.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Andrew - Snap. I got my first mating pair of OTIps too this year. But you also got a great shot of a pair of Sm Coppers mating with wings open too. I've only ever seen that once and it was a few years ago. You got both these events in quick succession, lucky devil.
Ernie F
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks for those confirmations Wurzel. :D Yes the OT is odd, the crease looks as if some kind of folding or pinching has occurred. However it happened it didn't stop him going about his business. :D

Thanks David. :D Same for me tbh. I never seem to see that many of them.

Cheers Trevor, I was really chuffed to find them! :D

Well done Ernie. :D 'Tis true, I have had a lucky Spring! :D
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

28th April 2019 - High and Over & Abbots Wood

I saw my first Wall Brown on the 22nd April, just the one. So I returned to High and Over a week later to see how things were coming along.

Straight away I found this male basking on one of the seats at the view point.
1.jpg
At one point he fluttered down into some long vegetation, so I got him onto my finger and lifted him up to the light.
2.jpg
There were sunny spells but it was still quite cool when the sun went in. A bit of recharging when it reappeared, and then he was off again.
3.jpg
4.jpg
One last pose on the edge of a seat, what a cracking butterfly! :D
5.jpg
Moving along to the field edge I saw half a dozen more males, most in tidy condition.
6.jpg
7.jpg
The view looking southeast across the River Cuckmere flowing to Cuckmere Haven. Friston Forest is on the left, and ahead is one end of the Seven Sisters white cliffs.
8.jpg
Fast foward to the afternoon and Abbots wood, only a short drive away, the target was Pearl-bordered Fritillary. There I found John W and we teamed up in our search. After a while we managed to locate a single male and counted ourselves lucky, as the sunny spells had been replaced by a blanket of grey.

We both got our fill of shots, he even briefly showed spread underwings, and departed very happy. :D
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
Cheers. :)
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Andrew - It must be great to live close to a location where you can just stick your finger out and a Wall climbs on. :lol:
I particularly like the shot of the Wall on the edge of the seat with the uncluttered background.
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Flipping hell Andrew you've just completed the impossible - a Wall in the hand :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: I have a collection of 'in the hand shots' and that's the one that I never even think about getting :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Lovely other shots as well but a Wall in the hand?! :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Impressive feat, Andrew! I’d have said Wall Brown was amongst the trickiest of UK butterflies to coax onto the hand like that. The one I saw yesterday wouldn’t let me get within 10 feet of it, even though it was only around 11 degrees!

You've also done a job with the Pearl Bordered Fritillaries. This too can be a difficult species (the males at least) so top marks for capturing them so well.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great Wall and Pearl shots, Andrew. How you coaxed a Wall onto your hand is beyond me!.

Trevor.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Many thanks Ernie, Wurzel, David and Trevor. I don't know what to tell you!, it just.. happened. :lol:
I think that Wall had missed the 'must be hard to approach' bit of it's job description. :D

Cheers
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Amazing Andrew, the Wall on your hand, it took me all my time to get my shots of the Wall :D It was keeping to it's name flying up and down the wall :lol: Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

Tame Walls are not easy to come by, Andrew - quite an achievement. :) With that and that obliging PBF, it shows there are sometimes advantages to the weather being cooler and reducing butterfly activity levels.

Cheers,

Dave
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks Goldie, yes I usually have to chase them too. This was a welcome change! :D

I think you are spot on there Dave, the weather played a big part in both those encounters. :D
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

These are posted in the 'Identification' section of the forums, but I'll put them here as well so all my pics are in the same place. The first is from Saturday, the rest are older shots.

With the help of Allan W they are :

1. Birch Sawfly
2. Black-spotted Longhorn Beetle (Rhagium Mordax)
3. Treehopper (Centrotus cornutus)
4. Common Awl Robberfly
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
Last edited by Andrew555 on Wed May 15, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting bugs Andrew :D I recognise the Beetle as in I've seen them myself before but I've not got a name for them :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Again Andrew ,
I think your bug is Black spotted Longhorn beetle (Rhagium Mordax ) , I daresay we,ll bump into each other over the summer ,somewhere down the line ! Regards Allan.W.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A Birch Sawfly! I would never have got that Andrew. I did recognise the Longhorn tho' as I've seen a few of those species. Lovely clear and interesting shots but I'm really looking forward to the Wood Whites :)
David M

Post by David M »

Just shows how many interesting critters there are amongst the butterflies. I'm afraid, though, that I haven't a clue what #2 is. :(
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Wurzel, no worries, thanks for looking. :D

A Black-spotted Longhorn Beetle, brilliant! That's a clean sweep for you Alan! 8) Thank you again. :D

Nor me Pauline. But it reminded me that I saw some caterpillars a couple of years ago that I id'd as Sawfly larva. Birch Sawfly larva! Pic below. :D
As for the Wood Whites I don't think I got anything special tbh. But I saw them and it was an enjoyable day out so it's all good. :D

There really are David. All identified now thanks to Alan. :D
5.jpg
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

I will hopefully finish off 2019's sightings now, late though they may be! Starting with May highlights.

A male Small Copper, and a gorgeous little female. Lullington Heath.
1.jpg
2.jpg
A new Broad-bodied Chaser Dragonfly drying it's wings. Also Lullington Heath.
3.jpg
Pearl-bordered Fritillary male, Abbots Wood.
4.jpg
A Duke of Burgundy from Denge Wood.
5.jpg
Some Wood Whites, Chiddingfold Forest.
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
Cool conditions with sunny spells were perfect for capturing this Common Blue male as he opened up for the warmth. Kithurst Meadow.
9.jpg
I enjoyed the many Small Blues at Hutchinson's Bank and also my first ever Glanville Fritillary. :)
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
It was a great time at Park Heath Corner, seeing the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary and various familiar faces. I love a female Fritillary and such was my first sighting.
14.jpg
Settling down for the evening.
15.jpg
16.jpg
16-2.jpg
The famous abberation.
17.jpg
18.jpg
A fresh Adonis Blue male at Mill Hill.
19.jpg
Cheers. :)
trevor

Post by trevor »

Good to see you posting again, Andrew, with some lovely images from last year.
I was told about the SPBF ab. by various people, it had even been seen on a day
when I was there, but it was not seen again that day. :(

Hope to see you around this season ( when it starts! )
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”