April 2019

Discussion forum for sightings.
Jack Harrison

Re: April 2019

Post by Jack Harrison »

Orange Tips now out in small numbers inland from Inverness.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:Orange Tips now out in small numbers inland from Inverness.
How are your own doing, Jack? Have any emerged yet?
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Next weekend my Orange Tip and other chrysalises will be transferred from the fridge to a dark corner of the shed. They should emerge ten days to a fortnight later.

I would have preferred to let them begin developing a few days earlier but am going on holiday (Isle of Mull) from 29 April to 4 May inclusive and don’t want to risk them emerging when I can’t let them free. But this delay might be a bonus. Favoured food plants Hedge Garlic and Sweet Rocket are hardly showing yet. (Cuckoo Flower is very local here).

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Good decision, Jack. Hopefully we'll get an image or two when you return from Mull?
David M

Post by David M »

Pearl Bordered Fritillaries have emerged at Ewyas Harold Common, near Pontrilas in Herefordshire.

Four seen yesterday (22nd):
1PBFuns(1).jpg
Kip

Post by Kip »

Green Hairstreaks out in Force in Swaledale.. 20+ seen this evening over something like 20 square metres... one "bronzish" one, and a rather pretty study on lichenified rock...
190423 C. rubi_ Swaledale_3106.jpg
190423 C. rubi_ Swaledale_3062.jpg
More pics on http://ptkbutterflies.wixsite.com/photo-art - should you wish to look, I hope you like the site..
David M

Post by David M »

That last one's a real cracker, Kip. It's rare to see such a 'complete' hindwing streak.
NickHull

Post by NickHull »

Out looking for Dukes up in Pickering this last weekend; none yet, but out at Hawnby.
Did manage to find some GH in Broxa Forest, thanks to Allan Rodda.
Cranked-up the ol' 200m macro for them...
GH_2_21_04_2019_low.jpg
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home"
Nigel Kiteley

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

A visit to Incombe Hole in Buckinghamshire with my partner Kasia (acherontia96) late yesterday afternoon produced 5 Duke of Burgundies as well as Grizzled Skippers, a single Dingy Skipper, 10+ Green Hairstreaks and a couple of Speckled Woods. Nothing out of the ordinary except for one butterfly which was flying around and had us puzzled. We both thought that it was probably a Painted Lady but it didn't come close enough for us to be sure. However as we were leaving we spotted it again and this time it landed on a narrow chalk path. Looking through my binoculars I was amazed to see that it was in fact a Large Tortoiseshell! I handed Kasia the binoculars and she agreed with me. I approached with phone in hand for a photo as we didn't have our cameras with us (big mistake),but alas it took flight again and we lost sight of it.

I did return with my camera this morning in the hope of seeing it again, but it was not to be. I did find the Dukes and consoled myself with a few photos, one of which is posted below.
Duke of Burgundy. copy.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

NickHull wrote:..Did manage to find some GH in Broxa Forest, thanks to Allan Rodda..
And what a cracking specimen you found, Nick. A full row of 'streaks'; not something you see every day.
David M

Post by David M »

Nigel Kiteley wrote:...Looking through my binoculars I was amazed to see that it was in fact a Large Tortoiseshell! I handed Kasia the binoculars and she agreed with me. I approached with phone in hand for a photo as we didn't have our cameras with us (big mistake),but alas it took flight again and we lost sight of it...
That must have been a heart-stopping moment for you, Nigel? I've never known LTs be reported over such a wide area as this year. Hopefully it's a sign of a potential recolonisation.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm guilty of not visiting this page often enough and as a result I'm missing out on some cracking images and other interesting stuff. Kip, Nick, I'm just loving those GH shots and I do like your Brimstone sequence Nick. I just wish there were more hours in the day!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

At a fine and breezy Dungeness this afternoon ,although I never counted them ,I reckon there were a hundred + Small Coppers
on the wing ,fairly spread out over the area I covered ,I found two pairs and a couple of Blue Spots ,I found two nectaring on the Sloe bushes ,
something I don,t often see and also a couple taking sustanence from the caged Early Purple Orchids ,which have had a fine season ,with 150 +
on show . I also had one fleeting glimpse ,of what may have been a Grizzled Skipper ,but can,t be certain ,other than that just a few Whites and Peacocks. Regards Allan.W.
P1040721.JPG
P1040701.JPG
P1040680.JPG
P1040640.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Allan.W. wrote:....although I never counted them ,I reckon there were a hundred + Small Coppers on the wing...
:shock: :shock:

That tally is plenty more than I'll see in both the UK and Europe combined this year, Allan!

Dungeness really IS a phenomenal site for this species.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Yes David ,Dungeness is an exceptional site particularly for Small Coppers ! But is also an excellent venue for birds ,plants ,moths
amongst others ,if you,re lucky you can even watch Harbour Porpoises off-shore,at the right time of year .
A few pictures from the weekend ,including a few shots of the Early Spider Orchids from Samphire Ho ! this morning ,sadly too overcast and breezy for any butterflies though . Highlights were a pair of Peregrine ,mobbing a Buzzard and a pair of Raven in the area .
Regards Allan.W.
P1040670.JPG
P1040766.JPG
P1040755.JPG
P1040748.JPG
Attachments
P1040759.JPG
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

this Holly Blue was waiting for the sun to come back out yesterday.
bluebutterfly.JPG
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Today was transect day on two sites around Gatwick, but an early arrival gave me time to check the nettle beds there where I found some 3rd instar Small Tortoiseshell larvae (nearing their next moult) and seven Red Admiral larval tents (mainly 4th instar).
Small Tortoiseshell 3rd instar larvae - Gatwick, Sussex 30-Apr-2019
Small Tortoiseshell 3rd instar larvae - Gatwick, Sussex 30-Apr-2019
Red Admiral larval tent - Gatwick, Sussex 30-Apr-2019
Red Admiral larval tent - Gatwick, Sussex 30-Apr-2019
Also spotted was a Speckled Wood laying 3 eggs, including this typical pair.
Speckled Wood eggs - Gatwick, Sussex 30-Apr-2019
Speckled Wood eggs - Gatwick, Sussex 30-Apr-2019
Part of the route runs through woods which are carpeted with Bluebells at the moment.
Bluebell wood - Gatwick, Sussex 23-Apr-2019
Bluebell wood - Gatwick, Sussex 23-Apr-2019
Highlight of the day was a singing Nightingale.

Vince
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

After 4 "goes " for Grizzled Skippers at my local site(in Mid- Kent ) ,I finally found one late afternoon today (a half hour visit ) ,I reckon it emerged this morning ,while I was there I was kept company by a calling Cuckoo ,at least two singing Nightingale ,and a singing Lesser Whitethroat Regards Allan.W.
P1040798.JPG
P1040796.JPG
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

Three ' new for the year ' species whilst out today .
_MG_9772.JPG
Grizzled Skipper on transect at High Elms LNR near Bromley .
_MG_9786.JPG
Dingy Skipper at Biggin Hill ,
_MG_9815.JPG
Just before leaving , Small Heath .
_MG_9797.JPG
At the same site , 25+ Brimstone , with a shortage of females it seems .
millerd

Post by millerd »

My first Common Blue of the year at Denbies Hillside this morning.
CB1 300419.JPG
CB2 300419.JPG
I also saw another one later on down at Mill Hill.

Full reports in my PD in due course.

Dave

Return to “Sightings”