Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Goldie M

Post by Pauline »

Some great shots there Goldie. With broken foot you're still getting further afield than me M. :wink: Here's wishing you a speedy recovery. I'll be in touch v soon.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to see that you're on the mend Goldie, just getting out is the best rest/cure/medicine and lovely shots as well especially the Small White, tricky little bu$$ers they can be :D :mrgreen:

"my Daughter said lets see how far you can WALK, naturally I walked in the direction I'd seen the Butterfly :D" That's proper butterflying that is! :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Pauline, we keep getting out and about but we're not seeing too many Butterflies so I'm thankful the foot is easier but disappointed about that, we're just wondering where to go today, Toby, Kath's dog has had the runs so we may have to be careful where we take him, it could just the heat .

Many thanks Wurzel, your right it was great to get out , the Cream tea helped a lot as well :lol: I feel much better, just hoping to see a Grizzled Skipper now, we may set off tomorrow to Dungeness, depends if Toby is okay. Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

We went to East Blean Woods today, my Daughters Dog wasn't too well, so we didn't go out too soon,( I was glad to put my foot up for a while) :D
It was lovely in the woods lots of Wild Flowers and Blue Bells, I just missed an Orange Tip on a Blue Bell but spotted this Comma looking rather regal :D This White flew down but never opened it's wings and flew off almost at once so I need a bit of help to find out if it's GVW or SW :oops: It did seem slightly bigger than a SW but I'd like to be sure. :D
On the way back we called at Mac' Donalds and ordered ice Cream's and yet another Comma landed nearby so I took a shot from the car :lol:
Toby seems much better :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Outside Mac's
Outside Mac's
IMG_5361.jpg
IMG_5360.jpg
IMG_5359.jpg
IMG_5345.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Goldie - you're warming up nicely ready for the bucket loads of Grizzlies you're going to see :D Lovely set of shots - I reckon the White is a Small White as I can't see any streaks on the underside and the black markings on the wing tips aren't solid :D I wouldn't have thought to take my camera to McDonalds, but I will from now on :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ps glad Toby is better :D
David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous, Goldie. You're not letting this injured foot beat you! Glad you saw plenty of butterflies. I especially like your second Small White from the previous page which has caught the light perfectly. :)
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks a lot Wurzel and David, I'm certainly trying my best :D

I can put a name to the white now Wurzel :D I've seen a few Whites now but they never open their wings once they've landed this one stumped me because of the angle and I couldn't get closer because the ground was so uneven :roll:

Hi! David I was so pleased to finally get a shot of that Small White open winged or closed :lol:

The Sun is hiding behind cloud today so we've not decided any thing yet and Toby seems okay but we'll have to see what the day brings , I really would like to go to Dungeness ,BUT!!! it's a big but today the foot is kicking in a bit :roll: Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

We had intentions today to go to Dungeness but once again Toby had the runs, not as bad as before but we didn't want to chance a long journey so we settled for Reculver being as it's much nearer.

When we arrived there wasn't much Sun it was very hazy and by the sea it felt really cool, we took the path which runs by the Pub
" Allan I think you'll know where ". :D because it's sheltered there from the sea by the Roman Wall.

I was looking to see if any Holly Blues were out yet because I'd seen them there before ,when I saw this very dark brown Butterfly, it landed on what remains of the Roman Wall with it's wings closed, I took lots of shots because the wall being so bright and the fact I couldn't get near enough to identify it, I'm certainly glad I did when it turned out to be a Wall Butterfly :D

I was treated to some open wing shots when the Sun did make an appearance and to some passing Whites and a lovely Peacock, so although I'd to ditch plans for Dungeness I still came out tops :D Also had a good pub lunch :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_5412.jpg
IMG_5425.jpg
IMG_5406.jpg
IMG_5385.jpg
IMG_5375.jpg
IMG_5390.jpg
IMG_5404.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Wow! Some great shots there Goldie. Wall Brown AND a pub lunch :mrgreen: That's definitely my sort of outing. Good on ya"!!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Well done Goldie ! with the Wall ,it is a good spot for them ,by the old wall , if you,re feeling more up to it later on ,
if you walk up onto the sea wall path(towards Birchington ) ,and look down to your right (landward ) you,ll see a lower path ,this is a very easy to manage path ,and takes you along a nice piece of grassland ,and it is also very sheltered ,it is excellent there for Small Copper , Common blue (although a bit early ) numerous Whites and particularly Clouded Yellow + other bits and pieces ,we once saw 14 Little Egrets perched in an old tree.
Hope you do manage to get down to Dungeness at some stage . Your best bet for The Coppers is to park by the old lighthouse ,walk towards the power station fence ,and follow the wire fence inland towards the row of houses (the end one is the bird obs;) If its sunny you should see up to twenty
along this stretch ,just before you reach the line of houses ,you,ll cross a dry moat ,this is the hotspot for Dungeness Small Coppers (in my opinion )
and if its fine you can,t fail ! you also see Grizzled Skippers here (and along the fence ) although they are few .
Good Luck .!! Regards Allan.W.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That was a cracking find Goldie and great shots too :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Looks like excellent consolation for not getting to Dungeness :D and when you do get there the Grizzlies will be all the sweeter :D :wink: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank's Pauline, that's Butterflying for you, you never know, :lol: You set out looking for one thing and find the unexpected :lol:
I just wish I could visit you again, we so enjoyed our time there and I know I'd be assured of finding my Grizzled Skipper for sure .
I'm visiting Eastbourne end of May so I'd better get this foot okay by then , a few more Pub lunches before that Pauline :lol: :D

Thanks Allan, I'll be sure to check that out next time, I could be here another week yet, so there's still a chance I could get to Dungeness. It helps when you have an Idea where to look :D
It was pretty cold yesterday at Reculver on the sea front, so we kept to the Lane and sheltered areas, so glad we did, :D there was no sign at all of Holly Blues yet, maybe next time we visit I'll see some. :D

Thanks Wurzel, I couldn't believe it when I saw them, it was all the sweeter because I only saw one last year and I've always to go to Southport usually to see them which I won't be able to do for a while yet. :roll:
My Daughter had to get up with Toby early this morning again, so we'll have to keep journeys short for a while, she's back into school next week so my journeys will be at an end for a while, any way that's life , swings and roundabouts :D Goldie :D
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Sorry about your foot Goldie! Glad you are on the mend. :D Great shots of the Wall! :D

Cheers
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Andrew, yes I'm getting there :D nothing today though, cloudy this morning and now a cold wind has arrived :roll: Goldie :D
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi Goldie, I've seen Grizzled Skipper on the South Downs Way between Eastbourne and Beachy Head, only one or two here and there but they are there and on the wing at the end of May :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

What an unexpected but pleasant surprise with your Wall Brown, Goldie! :)

Here's hoping you have a speedy recovery and you enjoy the rest of your trip.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Bug Boy, you've cheered me up no end :D On one of the free days I get on the holiday I'll be heading there if I can't manage to get to Dungeness whilst I'm here. :D

Thank's David, even with the foot I've been able to get about, at the Hospital they said I'd done the fracture the Foot Baller's get :D not much consolation there :lol: I'm walking slowly now without the crutches so i'm getting there :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote:..Thank's David, even with the foot I've been able to get about, at the Hospital they said I'd done the fracture the Foot Baller's get
That'll be the famous metatarsal job that Beckham/Rooney had at varying times.

At least you won't be relying on kicking a football with the affected area once you recover! :)
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Your right David, that's what I've fractured :roll: It's doing okay though, no crutches now and another week and a half and hope fully the shoe's off :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to hear that your recovery is going so well Goldie I won't get to call you Long John Goldie anymore :wink: I reckon so long as Storm Hannah is brief you should still be able to fit in some good butterflying - the Grizzlies have got your name on them :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”