Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Wurzel

Post by Neil Freeman »

Just catching up on your round-ups and thoughts on last years season Wurzel. Some interesting comments, particularly on the Fritillaries as I only managed to see the grand total of one species of these last year (Silver-washed), something I hope to rectify this year.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Neil :D Still a few to go '2018 Tally' wise but I keep going out at lunch or just popping out for a quick walk so my 2019 backlog is starting to build up :roll: :D I'm sure you'll do well for Frits this year especially if you can get down to Devon again. Failing that I know a good site for Marshies - down the M5 and cut through Chippenham to Warminster... :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Hengistbury Head 17-03-2019

I’d not been to Hengistbury Head for years but the Head has provided me with several bird lifers over the years (Storm Petrel, Snow Bunting and Ring Ouzel) however today was more of a recce for future visits as the weather had reverted to more seasonally correct and there was a slight nip in the air. While I waited for the girls to visit the Ladies I hung out with the local bother boyz, the Starlings which at this time of year look like a cross between a Goth and a Punk!
DSC_1805 - Copy.JPG
Once we started walking we only stopped once for a very furry caterpillar and soon we were strolling on the sands past the beach huts looking for a secluded and empty bit of the beach to set up camp. Finding a piece of the strand which was empty from one Groyne to the other we settled down using the Groyne as a wind break and set the Kelly Kettle to boiling. The girls played chicken with the waves and explored the Groynes while I noodled around looking for Hagstones. After this it was time to head back the long way round…I’m sure we’ll be back.
DSC_1794 - Copy.JPG
Velvet Swimming Crab
Velvet Swimming Crab
24-03-2019

Last week I said we’d be back and sure enough we were a week later. In the interim though I’d had a surgical procedure done :( :cry: and was still quite sore and not exactly fully mobile. Still as my nieces were coming with us at least we wouldn’t be going at a great pace…then they turned up on scooters and bikes! So once again we set off along the road that winds through the woods before breaking out at the Natterjack pond and the surrounding beach huts onto the Spit. This week though it wasn’t exactly a stroll, more a hobble come John Cleese silly walk. Still my somewhat slower pace meant that I found some interesting caterpillars. I got quite excited having seen the crumbling cliffs on the other side of the Head the week previously as well as noticing the red heads and black bodies but instead of Glannies they were Cream-spot Tiger cats.

Once on the beach we again found an unoccupied stretch and again got the Kelly Kettle to boiling. All the girls went off to do beaching things and the youngest was soaking wet within 5 minutes but it was great to just listen to the sounds of them playing whilst the waves cascaded in and the gulls mewed and called. As I waited for the second boil something flopped down on the sands. Grabbing my camera I scuttled bow legged towards it and managed only two record shots of a Peacock. After this I had a bit more of a mooch and concentrated on the gulls as well as eating lunch.
DSC_1863 - Copy.JPG
Yellow-legged Gull
Yellow-legged Gull
DSC_1876 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1880 - Copy.JPG
A little later I set out to use the conveniences and on the way I caught sight of another butterfly. I didn’t hold out much hope of getting any shots as it fluttered by and away from me. However it hung a right and after a few circles round dropped down to the ground. Forgetting my discomfort I reverted to stalking mode and approached using the shot-step technique before risking lowering myself to kneeling for a nice close shot. Chuffed I carried on although slightly more carefully and gingerly now as I’d been a bit reckless in my stalking and the joy of getting a Peacock shot had masked my discomfort.
DSC_1890 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1894 - Copy.JPG
On the way back there wasn’t much to note just more of the Cream-spot Tiger cats but still I was chuffed with the 2 Peacocks.
DSC_1897.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Work 25-03-2019

Things were going quite well with the healing after the exertions of yesterday and I was feeling almost back to normal – right up until the cat walked over me at 5am placing all his weight on one of my tender areas. Hence when I picked my camera up at the start of lunch I had to make the (less) painful decision to take the short cut through the housing estate to the back path rather than investigate what had emerged at the Pits and the back hedges.

The first butterfly I found was a Comma on the single bush but today it was too far round to get anything but a visual conformation that it was there, plus I couldn’t flex too much and stretching to reach was right out. I carried on hobbling on the way along the main path and picked up several Small Torts along the way. I reckoned there was a minimum count on the ‘outward’ run of 5 one of which posed really nicely on a Bramble in what I refer to as ‘The Batman’. At the end there was the/a Peacock again but I was partially expecting it so this time I was ready with the camera. Even so it was more ready and so I could only manage a distant record shot as it basked annoyingly out of reach on a path in one of the back gardens.
DSC_1900.JPG
DSC_1911 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1919 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1922 - Copy.JPG
On the return journey there were again plenty of Small Torts to keep me occupied though this time I could only manage a count of 4 though I was slightly distracted by a fly-by Brimstone which looked momentarily like it was going to land and also various twinges and aches due to the after effects of the op.
DSC_1923 - Copy.JPG
I was just girding my loins (quite literally) for the slog back through the housing estate when a fresher looking Peacock appeared (the payment for getting those poor record shots). It also didn’t really play fair landed at an awkward angle just over the barbed wire fence but with very, very careful manoeuvring I managed to get some reasonable side on views of it.
DSC_1934 - Copy.JPG
So quite a pleasant half hour butterfly wise if nothing else…
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Work 26-03-2019

Another day and another lunchtime out – the warmth continued which made it much easier to move so much so that occasionally I had to remind myself to ease up a little or I could end up paying for it later. Again I cut through the estate and headed directly to the large Comma bush where there was only a single Comma again today.
DSC_1937 - Copy.JPG
After checking in here I set off down the narrow path bordered by the bank on one side and the field on the other. As I worked my way along it I’d stop occasionally as butterflies would come into view as I rounded the corner of the miniature scallops cut into the briars and other scrubby vegetation that litter the bank. First was a second, different Comma from the Bush and then I worked through the usual suspects. When I recited the list in my head whilst trying to remember the order of occurrence (I must start remembering my notebook) I felt like I was singing out dance steps; more of a case of Small Tort, Peacock – Peacock, Small Tort – Comma, Small Tort, Small Tort rather than slow, slow quick-quick, slow.
DSC_1940 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1945 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1949 - Copy.JPG
I then turned round and made my way back to work counting on the way and occasionally stopping. Once back at the Bush a Comma was again present and chuffed by this and the fact that I was having a good day pain wise I carried on along the path aiming to see what else I could find. In the end I managed to add a further 3 Small Torts to the tally one of which I managed to get a shot of through the diamond patterned wire fence.
DSC_1955 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1963 - Copy.JPG
By the time I’d gotten back to work the best minimum count was a brace a piece of Peacock and Comma and a quite respectful 9 Small Torts.
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

That Starling looks to have plenty of attitude Wurzel, and the crab is a beaut! Love the Peacock on sand. :D

I like your Fritillary round-up especially, that last Marshie. :mrgreen: :D
I'm going to try and make it to Martin Down this year.

Cheers
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, you sounded very uncomfortable in March :D I hope your feeling much better now, it didn't stop you getting some lovely shots of the Butterflies :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Andrew :D I was chuffed with that Peacock as the day could have been a bust without it plus I suffered a bit for that shot :shock: Good luck at Martin Down - if you work you way along Bokerley from the main car park you should easily bump into more Marshies than you can shake a stick at :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I was alternating between pretty and very uncomfortable for about a fortnight but so long as it stays warm fora while I should be okay from here on :D A lot of those shots did take a fair bit of literal loin girding to get but were definitely worth it :D I've already said it but you can never have enough so good luck with the Grizzlies :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel it sounds like I'll be feeling some pain has well looking for Butterflies I just hope I'm has lucky has you and get some shots :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I just read and left two responses on your PD Goldie - hope you're mended soon :shock: :?

Work 27-03-2019

At lunch I again decided that discretion is the better part of valour and so cut straight through the housing estate to the half-way point. This meant that I could complete half of my usual transect without suffering for the rest of the afternoon. To say this is getting to be a bit of a ball ache is literally true in this case! As I turned left to start my way along the path which is narrowing ever more each day my attention was called to a Small Tort which was just on the other side of the fence somewhere they are more commonly frequenting this year. Luckily it was close enough that I was able to place my lens close to the grille and focus through the gaps. On the other side of the path taking advantage of the Muscari which grows close by to the south facing fence (it’s like a well-appointed restaurant or butterflies) was a second.
DSC_1970 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1972 - Copy.JPG
Slightly further along and a Comma seemed out of place down on the deck when it should have been behind me on the Bush. The butterflies then came thick and fast as I carried on along the path. Another 2 Small Torts, a Brimstone feeding on a Dandelion before a final flourish at the end of the path of 3 Small Torts and another Comma. The bank widens here to about the size of a small garden, raised like a plateau with more Muscari and other nectar sources growing on the edge as the ‘plateau’ dives down to the neighbouring field. All four of these final four were taking advantage of this little area and I spent a very extravagant four minutes here (almost a sixth of my entire time) enjoying them bimbling about.
DSC_1992 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1997 - Copy.JPG
The return journey saw a smaller count of three Small Torts and the Brimstone stopped for its photo again and I was just about to start back when a Peacock flew in and landed in the middle of the small ‘valley’ of the half way point. I managed to approach it and get within range of a decent-ish shot but rather than nip off as soon as I got near this one used a different evasion technique, it started by rotating it’s way round the Dandelion and then one it had orientated itself in a way that it found pleasing it started rocking forward and back opening and closing its wings as it did so. This meant I have a lot of blurry photos of said Peacock (or at least I did they’ve now been binned).
DSC_2007 - Copy-001.JPG
DSC_2015 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2020 - Copy.JPG
My final stop of the lunch time visit was for an Oil Beetle which was lumbering along the path.
DSC_2024 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Desperately trying to catch up...

Work and then later t’Vera 28-03-2019

Today was going to be a long day. Not only were the Year 11’s completing their final ‘walking talking Mock’ but I had duty, a data analysis meeting and to cap it all tonight was the PTFA quiz which meant I was probably going to be out of the house for a good 14 ½ hours with the prospect of the final few of those hours sitting on a hard chair.

Because of this I was determined to make the most of my ‘freetime’ and so as soon as the bell rang at lunch I was out of the door and away down the edge of the field. As I worked along the field margin I kept an eye out at likely looking little clumps of wildflowers and rough grass that had escaped the attentions of the new groundskeepers as they grow too close to the neighbouring gardens. However my eyes were temporarily directed skywards as a trio of planes passed over head.
DSC_2029 - Copy.JPG
I didn’t see my first butterfly until I reached the far corner of the field where a Small Tort played too hard to get. As I set off down the narrow path I was kept company by a trio of different yellow flying ‘machines’ as I counted 3 separate Brimstones by the time I’d reached just beyond the half way point. One of these was slightly frenetic than the other two so I attempted (some very poor) flight shots – they were so poor that I didn’t bother with any of them.

I don’t know what was up with everything today – possibly the sun was shining quite strongly revving them all up - but nothing was stopping for very long save for a solitary Comma. After my run in with him I carried on to the end adding Small Tort, 2 Peacocks and another Brimstone to the list all busy flapping about and not stopping – is there a change in the weather coming I wonder? The return journey was made on the hurry up but I didn’t add anything new to the list.
DSC_2042 - Copy.JPG
Later after Bus Duty and the Data Meeting was completed I had a couple of hours to spare prior to the PTFA Quiz and so I nipped over to the Vera. Things were looking good as I got onto 2 Small Torts almost as soon as I’d walked through the gate. However I was wrong as after walking twice round the circuit, staring at every likely looking patch of leaves that showed the slightest white speckling (just in case it wasn’t bird poo but it was a roosting OT) I had added zero butterflies to the Tally for the day. Shame really – give it a couple of weeks and there should be OTs a plenty here, fingers crossed I’ll be able to get back.
DSC_2047 - Copy.JPG
Anyway to cut a long story short we blitzed the Quiz winning by 10 points clear :D though the seats were harder and more uncomfortable than I’d imagined…I’ll pay for that tomorrow… :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel. My apologies. I realised I had not caught up with your diary for awhile so I rectified that this morning.

First - Hope you are surviving your Op OK. I guess you must be as you did the trip to Noar Hill after all. Incidentally - you have convinced me to visit there today after your comment about the Dukes "taking off" there.

Also, I was fascinated by your Frit Report. I too was lucky to have visited for the Pearls and found the Marshies too. What a day that was - all three Frit species that Bentley Wood is noted for but all in one place and at the same time!

The other stand out moment was your observation about the rocking motion of a Peacock while nectaring. I have seen just this same behaviour with Red Admirals as they take the sap from wounds on Birch Trees.

Nice pic of a crab too!

Plus congratulations are in order.
You have finally caught up with the rest of us now your diary entries are in April 2019 (rather than October 2018 :lol: )
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Ernie :D All mended now barring the odd twinge :D It was great to see the three Frits together - I just wish the Small Pearls were doing better there :? :( I've had the same three Frit Day there before with the added bonus of the honorary Frit a Duke as well :D Then there was another time with Small Pearl, DGF and SWF as well :D 8). I'm getting there with the PD but still the wrong side of the month :shock: :roll: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Work 29-03-2019

So we won the quiz but man am I in pain now – those seats didn’t do anything support wise and then the shape of my car seat, squashed everything together in just the wrong way. Needless to say todays outing was a short, sharp shock!!! I hurried through the estate to get to the path and the main part of the transect as quickly as possible. Once there I slowed down slightly but I had to remind myself to bend more slowly each time I went for a shot. Apart from the discomfort from that area it was actually pleasant along the path and I was soon racking up butterflies with a maximum count of 6 Small Torts, 4 Brimstone and 3 Peacocks.
DSC_2058 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2074 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2082 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2087 - Copy.JPG
I pushed on today and carried along the path that took me round the furthest side of the field striking out towards the Pits. Along the way I added a brace of Small Torts to the tally for the day and a Brimstone looked a little lost as it quartered the recently mown part of the field looking for any nectar sources which had escaped the chop.

Once at the Pits I found another Peacock, well it found me erupting from the old wood pile and giving me a bit of a shock as well as a Small Tort which must have been roosting/basking close by. Both butterflies shot off across the field making for the unmowm ‘meadow’. I was just cursing them when a smaller bright white butterfly hove into view flying along the border hedge. All I could manage were a few blurry record shots but I was convinced that it was a Small rather than a Green-veined White; my first for 2019. I carried on back into work still aching and wincing from the occasional sharp twinge but happy none the less.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, lovely Butterflies but have you seen a Grizzled Skipper yet :?: :D I'm hoping you'll post one, we are suppose to be going to Dungeness tomorrow fingers crossed , where ever we've been we've not seen a great deal of Butterflies, which as surprised me, may be when I get a bit more mobile, we'll see them :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I reckon the heat has got the butterflies moving too quickly or some won't be used to it so they could be sitting out the main heat in the shade somewhere which could explain why you're not seeing loads? :? I got my first Grizzlies a week ago but I'm so behind with posting that I probably won't get round to them for another fortnight :shock: :roll: So here's a little taster of what to expect when you see them soon :D
DSC_1720.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic Wurzel, looking forward to more :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I managed to get a few more a few days later so I better get on and try and catch up!

Middle Street 30-03-2019

Little L wanted to go fishing so we jumped in the car and drove over to Middle Street. I was hoping to walk it but I didn’t want to push my luck and so vehicular locomotion was the order of the day. I kept my eyes peeled on the way but only counted 4 male Brimstones on the drive over. Once we were safely ensconced on the side of the road we strolled down the main track heading to the river. The girls wanted to set up camp at one of the Fishermen’s Pontoons so I let them go on ahead and get settled while I set to walking the site. A Small White flew towards me enticing me to the first Hotspot so that’s where I headed first. I hung around for a while once there quartering the small patch of level ground and checking the dried up pod and the concrete paths in the neighbouring gardens on the other side of the boundary stream. A small tangerine butterfly made its way towards me – my first OT of the year and it was swiftly joined by a second. The second one flew more slowly and actually stopped down near the stream under the cover of the Willows and s I made a swift movement towards it and got a few close record shots before it realised I was there. A Peacock was also fluttering about here landing on the concrete paths and basking temporarily. Chuffed with this and also how mobile I was feeling (it must be the warmer weather) I made my way to the Pontoons to check in.
DSC_0840 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0845 - Copy.JPG
On the way I saw another or possibly the same Peacock and a couple more Brimstones and after making sure that they were alright and that Little L was putting fresh water from the pond in her collecting jar I set out to walk to the other end of the reserve. Along this part I went past a couple of the ‘soak-aways’, the small areas of rough ground that are lower than the raised pathways. The first held a Peacock and 2 Small Torts and the one at the end had another Small Tort. The middle of the three is overgrown with Willow and shrub but will be worth checking later in the season for Specklies.
DSC_0852 - Copy.JPG
I was almost at the end of the reserve when my progress was hindered. A Peacock and Small Tort had decided to bask in the middle of the path. In order to get round the nearer Peacock without disturbing it I’d end up putting the Small Tort up so I stood and waited wondering what to do. In the end I didn’t have to worry as the Small Tort noticed the Peacock and set about it! Returning the victor a few moments later and letting me get a shot or two of it basking in its glory. Well that’s what I thought would happen but the Small Tort nipped off as well. On my return the Small Tort was still around but it must have mellowed as the Peacock was also back and basking. A Small White flew towards me but didn’t stop and left me wondering if I’m ever going to get any shots of this species on this side of the season?
DSC_0860 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0862 - Copy.JPG
I retraced my steps finding a gorgeous Small Tort on the way and collected the girls who having released their catch of Minnows safely back into the river pointed out a Peacock that was trying to (unsuccessfully) blend in with the dead grasses. An OT and Small Tort by the reserve entrance as we were leaving. A quick check at the corner of Upper and Middle Street added another Small White to the days Tally but again it was a fly-by. I had at least a shot of an OT and my nether regions felt ‘normal’ and pain free so one the drive back I mentioned that a trip to Five Rivers might be on the cards…
DSC_0877 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0881 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

I'm envious of your frequent Small Tortoiseshell sightings. In my local area they seem to be absent.

Great stuff,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”