Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
ernie f

Re: Trevor

Post by ernie f »

Trevor

I've been going through your last few weeks posts and came across your mating Brimstones for the first time. Marvellous. I have never seen Brimstones in-cop and it always amazes me that I haven't given how many Brimstones I have seen.
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You did well with those females Trevor better than me at any rate - I've only managed a couple of grab shots :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Love the first one - for some reason it reminds me of a Koala :? 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Must admit, female Brimstones and Orange Tips are becoming commoner by the day down my way. I often feel a bit sad when I see male Brimstones searching the evergreens, because the chances of them finding a virgin female are surely nil or thereabouts?
trevor

Post by trevor »

Having been inspired by some fabulous images of Green Hairstreaks in various diaries,
I went over to Abbots Wood this morning specifically to look for them.
There were none to be seen in my usual location, but I did spot a single Small Copper,
and many Green Longhorn Moths while searching.

Later I explored another area of the Wood, and met Theresa Turner. She kindly recommended
an area within the Wood where Green Hairstreaks had recently been seen. Sure enough I saw
four at this spot, and managed images of one.

On the way back to the car several Large Whites were flying. As I watched them two met mid-air
and immediately dived to the ground, landing among some Wood AnenmonIes. When I located them
they had coupled. All this happened in a few seconds.
As Wurzel once said ' no chocolates and fine wine ' for their courtship!.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1340725.JPG
P1340706.JPG
P1340761.JPG
P1340701.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Glad you go the Green one Trevor :D :mrgreen: Butterfly courtship is very much 'wham bam' I don't think they even give a 'thank you mam' :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

ORANGE TIP AT REST.
Attachments
P1340784.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's a lovely shot Trevor - my favourite style :D :mrgreen: I'll get round to a reply to your PM in a bit :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Well done with the Green Hairstreak, Trevor. I know you were looking on with envy at others' postings, but right now I'm doing likewise with your Small Copper. It'd be nice if a few of these would turn up in my neck of the woods.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I love your Green Hair Streak Trevor :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I wish I knew where they were here in Kent, they're one of my favourite Butterflies, lovely shot :D Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, folks.

The weather improved by late morning, so I risked a local trip, not too far from the car!.
But what a brilliant Butterfly afternoon lay in wait, only the strong breeze spoiling photography
with everything swaying around.
Orange Tip numbers must be nearing peak, with many flying, and diving for cover when the cloud came.
Specklies provided an additional challenge when trying for Holly Blues, as they constantly saw them off
as they tried to land, and many were seen low down today, but never had time to settle.
A bonus Green veined White added to the days tally.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1340862.JPG
P1340871.JPG
P1340820.JPG
P1340845.JPG
P1340833.JPG
P1340875.JPG
P1340881.JPG
P1340819.JPG
P1340880.JPG
Female Speckled Wood.
Female Speckled Wood.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Trevor - I just can't get close to a Green-veined White at the moment :mrgreen: , mind you over the next few days it's a case of batten down the hatches :roll: :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Trevor, like Wurzel I can't pin down a Green Veined White, not even seen one yet. Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel & Goldie. I'm sure a GVW will pass (land) your way soon.

After yesterdays frustration with the Holly Blues being hassled by Specklies, I decided this morning
to try High and Over, always a reliable site for this species, and importantly today out of the wind.
Although this location is high up on the Southdowns, the dense shrubbery makes an excellent windbreak.

In all, I found five Holly Blues, three males and two females. The icing on the cake came when one of
each sex fully opened their wings for the camera!. The male, in particular, took me by complete surprise.
I watched it flying high up and was amazed when it swooped down and landed at waist height on a bramble
leaf right by where I was standing. After several closed wing shots he suddenly opened up completely, and
very quickly. Usually, from my observations, wing opening can be a very slow affair.

I wonder how that male scores on the Millerometer!.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1340914.JPG
P1340889.JPG
2nd female
2nd female
male
male
Female
Female
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

First of all has Dave been tutoring you on the sly - and if so how much are you paying him :wink: :lol: I reckon the both will score highly on the millerometer :D and I'll easily give you :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for those shots :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great spring images, Trevor. Yes, Orange Tips must now be at their apogee, but Holly Blue females are still there to be seen, and you have been more fortunate than me so far this year with your image of that one in your most recent post.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, David & Wurzel. Those Holly Blue images were all the sweeter that day,
as it was the species I had set out to see. I was amazed when the male just flicked
it's wings wide open, in an instant.

My first Sussex Pearl Bordered Fritillary, taken on Wednesday 24/4.
Within 10 mins of taking these images, I received a thorough soaking from a passing shower.
Attachments
P1340812.JPG
P1340810.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant Trevor :D I love the look of the dark margins :D :mrgreen: I can't wait to get out looking for them too :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely Holly Blues, Trevor - less than perfect weather days are probably best for seeing them like that. That male is better than any I've found so far this year... :)

The Pearl is a real treat, too. Hopefully there will be many more to come!

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful PBF, Trevor. A particularly nicely marked one.

Well worth a soaking, I'd say! :)
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great stuff from your local patch Trevor, I particularly like that GVW. :D

Well done with Holly Blues, I'm still waiting for open wings. :D

Very nice PBF. I was glad to get off the mark with this species myself on Sunday. :D

Cheers

Return to “Personal Diaries”