millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: millerd

Post by Wurzel »

I'm in agreement about the Peacocks Dave - they've been about in really good numbers this year :D unlike the Red Admiral - I've only seen one definite so far this year :shock: Your one looks pretty battle hardened but they do wear the scars well :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Double figure species at last, Dave! Things are moving on and hopefully when the warmer weather arrives next week we'll start seeing good numbers.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Not much slows down a Red Admiral, Wurzel, they are nearly as reckless at chasing things as a Purple Emperor. :)

The Easter weekend does look good, David - I shall be in York, so we'll see what can be found up there.

Monday 15th April: I was down near the Sussex coast today anyway, so managed to fit in a side trip to Mill Hill for about an hour or so. Though sunny, there was a stiff breeze and it became very hazy: however, in the shelter at the bottom of the slope, I briefly tracked down a Grizzled Skipper.
GS1 150419.JPG
There were a few Brimstones and Peacocks, plus an anonymous white and a couple of Speckled Woods. I also bumped into Benjamin, continuing his surveys of Adonis caterpillars (of which there are good numbers as might be expected at this site).

I was home in time for a quick wander round my local patch in the late afternoon sunshine. I soon found a Red Admiral, in better condition than the one a few days ago.
RA1 150419.JPG
There were several Peacocks...
Peacock1 150419.JPG
...and a familiar Comma which had somehow managed to cross a busy dual carriageway to turn up in a different spot.
Comma1 150419.JPG
It may have used the underpass, of course, which is what I did... :)
Finally, I came across a Speckled Wood, taking the opportunity for a late basking session.
SpW1 150419.JPG
I was interested to see the erection of a new sign north of the A3113.
sign.JPG
Whether or not it will deter the off-road motorbikers I somehow doubt, but more ironically, this area is likely to be completely disrupted if/when the planned Heathrow expansion goes ahead. Make of it what you will. Just beyond the sign, the path is currently carpeted with cranesbill (geranium) of various sorts.
cranesbill.JPG
I saw several Brown Argus laying here last summer, as well as elsewhere, so hopefully there will again be good numbers in 2019.

Dave
Last edited by millerd on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

Great to see that the Grizzled Skippers are starting to get going - I think I'm going to make an effort to catch up with them this year. And with that Comma, a really nice demonstration of how we are probably guilty of underestimating the dispersal abilities of butterflies. Researchers go to some effort to get "mark-release-recapture" data like that! :lol:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I know what you mean about the Red Admiral Dave they can just go and go :D I was out on Monday as well and it was very hard work with that biting wind - you did well to get a Grizzlie in it :D I got two for my troubles but I did cheat - finding them in the shelter of the rings of a hillfort :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nice work, Dave. There's a good range of species about right now, although I expect the adult overwinterers to be on the wane very soon.

The Easter weekend should give us all the chance to see a few before they disappear, as well as some of the newly emerged species.
millerd

Post by millerd »

More Grizzlies today, Callum - well worth finding some I'd say. :)

Much more pleasant conditions to see them today as well, Wurzel- no need for the shelter of ancient ramparts! :)

Numbers seem to increase every day now David, including new Commas I haven't seen before on my local patch. Some are definitely still waking up, but by this time next week I reckon they'll all be out. It's a terrific forecast right now. :)

Wednesday 17th April: A full-on expedition today, with the advent of proper warm sunshine at last. I started at Noar Hill again, and soon encountered Brimstones and Orange Tips stretching, yawning and enjoying breakfast.
OT3 170419.JPG
OT2 170419.JPG
OT1 170419.JPG
The Duke of Burgundy is a later riser, and after a bit of searching, at 1133 I found a fresh male.
DB2 170419.JPG
DB3 170419.JPG
DB4 170419.JPG
A little later, in the same area I found a female. This latter individual was a beautifully marked butterfly, but luckily I managed a decent shot before she all too quickly went and settled inaccessibly in a bramble thicket.
DB1 170419.JPG
I then found the male again - I hope he encountered the female later in the day.
DB6 170419.JPG
Next stop would be Denbies - a separate post.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

17th April (continued)

So - over to Denbies, where it appears I somehow missed seeing Lee Hurrell. A shame not to have bumped into you again, Lee! :)

I headed down the right-hand edge of Steers Field, along the hedge, and just before the bottom saw a flash of orange cross my path. A new Small Copper! It soon made for that ever-popular spring nectar source - the nearest dandelion.
SC1 170419.JPG
SC4 170419.JPG
Once on the hillside proper I wandered along to the steps where every spring a Green Hairstreak colony provides great entertainment. There were two flying today, one fresh and one that was already a little worn. Variations in the light caused by passing thin cloud made interesting differences to the colour of the butterflies.
GH1 170419.JPG
GH2 170419.JPG
GH3 170419.JPG
GH4 170419.JPG
From here I set off across the hillside, returning along the bottom of the slope. I soon came across a series of fresh Grizzled Skippers, probably five or six in all.
GS1 170419.JPG
GS2 170419.JPG
GS3 170419.JPG
I hoped for a definite sighting of a Dingy Skipper too, but (unlike Lee!) had to make do with a "possible" near the top of the slope later on. Also seen: Orange Tips, Brimstones, Peacocks and a Speckled Wood.

I returned home in time for a quick look at my local patch in the late afternoon hazy sunshine - another post I think.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

17th April (concluded):

After four, but still very warm (noticeably warmer here than down at Denbies), with very hazy sunshine. My walk around my local patch took me to a point I have always called Comma Corner - today it lived up to its name, as there were at least four individuals basking and tussling with each other and a similar number of Peacocks. Throw in a few Orange Tips and whites, plus an excitable Speckled Wood and it was quite a sight. One Orange Tip kept out of the kerfuffle, quietly nectaring in the shade.
OT1 170419.JPG
A selection of Commas...
Comma1 170419.JPG
Comma2 170419.JPG
Comma4 170419.JPG
Comma5 170419.JPG
Commas 170419.JPG
Leaving the excitement behind, I came upon a Red Admiral sunning itself on the path.
RA1 170419.JPG
RA2 170419.JPG
Quite a day. Two new species for the year for me and a terrific selection seen over the day. With the current forecast showing at least a week of warm sunshine (in the south at least), we appear to have a really good spell ahead.

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That was a good day Dave, wish I could have joined you but other commitments kept me at work but you'll be pleased to know if you need someone to climb a ladder, I'm your man :lol: :roll: !
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

That was some expedition yesterday, Dave. A Duke already !. :mrgreen:
Added to that a couple of great Green Hairstreak shots.
Around here too, yesterday was the grand wake up day.

Classic stuff.
Trevor.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

What a fantastic day Dave! That female Duke is indeed beautiful, and I love your dueling Comma's. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

millerd wrote:17th April (continued)

So - over to Denbies, where it appears I somehow missed seeing Lee Hurrell. A shame not to have bumped into you again, Lee! :)
What a shame to have missed you, Dave! I'll see you for Marsh Frits :wink:

Lovely photos by the way. With regard to Green Hairstreaks, do you mean the steps that lead down to the woodland in the middle of the hillside - is that is the best spot?

Best wishes,
Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That was a hell of a day Dave :shock: 8) That Duchess is a stunner :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It may have been warm enough but I still got back to the Ramparts :wink:
I'll keep my eyes open for signs of Marshies and give you and Lee the heads up :D :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Breathless stuff, Dave. You've pretty much covered everything that's about...and with 4 glorious days to follow!
kevling

Post by kevling »

David, What a lovely collection of photos this week. If that doesn't fill us all with excitement for the weekend ahead, nothing will. Love the Orange Tip and Grizzlie photos and also the duelling Comma's.

Kind Regards
Kev
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Dave

Well it looks as though you have seen and pictured all the early spring butterflies!

But from the last few weeks, my favourite pic of yours was the airborne "fighting" Commas at "Comma Corner". It gives a hint of the excitement of seeing such butterfly behaviour without actually being there.
Ernie F
millerd

Post by millerd »

Many thanks to all of you for the great comments :) - it was a particularly good day, and I did have to make the most of it as the next few days were to be spent further north without too many similar opportunities for such variety. However, the extraordinarily good weather was a bonus, and wherever I went there were Peacocks, Brimstones and Orange Tips - and a few other things besides.

I was staying for the Easter weekend with my sister in Wilberfoss, and the semi-wild nature of part of her garden meant that butterfies constantly passed through it. Orange Tips and Holly Blues were probably the most frequent visitors, with Peacocks, Brimstones, Speckled Woods, Small and GV Whites, and Small Tortoiseshells all stopping at some point or another. One Holly Blue was the first definite female I've seen this year, and obligingly opened up while nectaring on a currant flower.
HB1 200419.JPG
HB2 200419.JPG
A male Orange Tip stopped on an Honesty plant, which had already been visited by at least one female - there were three eggs altogether on different flower spikes.
OT1 190419.JPG
OT egg1 200419.JPG
I was able to visit one or two other spots during the weekend. First was Kiplingcotes on 19th: I was hopeful that there might be Dingy Skippers, or even a Wall, but aside from numbers of Peacocks, a couple of Commas, and Orange Tips and Speckled Woods in the nearby lanes, I wasn't in luck.
SpW1 Kip 190419.JPG
CallumMac did better a couple of days later I see! :) :mrgreen: I spotted one moth, which flashed orange when it flew - I'm not sure what it might be...
moth Kip 190419.JPG
The following day, I popped into Calley Heath. The standout feature was that this sandy heathland area was incredibly dry - it looked no different to its appearance last August. Even the damp and boggy bits seemed dried up. Again, Peacocks were everywhere, and did seem to be popping up from the various rabbit holes that pepper the ground. However, the high point was the appearance of a single Small Copper - the vanguard of this ever-reliable colony.
SC1 CH 200419.JPG
SC2 CH 200419.JPG
Back to the garden again, and while generally surveying the more overgrown area I spotted a Small Tortoiseshell skimming some low-growing nettles.
ST1 200419.JPG
As I watched, it almost disappeared under the plant: I was able to get surprisingly close without disturbing it, and it became clear that it was laying a clutch of eggs.
ST2 200419.JPG
ST3 200419.JPG
ST4 200419.JPG
ST4cu 200419.JPG
ST eggs1 200419.JPG
ST eggs2 200419.JPG
All in all, a good weekend - there is always something of interest to see, wherever you are. :)

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Interesting that your Small Tort kept her wings open whilst laying, normally close them to stay hidden whilst in that vulnerable situation :?. Your moth is that ever reliable Dingy imposter, the Burnet Companion :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's the first time I've ever come across a Small Tortoiseshell in the act of laying, Buggy, so I didn't realise the posture was unusual. My sister has undertaken to keep an eye on the eggs and not dig up the nettles too!

I should have realised what the moth was - I've seen them often enough! :? Perhaps a bit early, like everything else.

Home again, and Tuesday 23rd April brought much hazier sunshine, though it remained warm. The weekend of heat and sun had clearly brought many more butterflies out, and I reached my highest counts of the year so far: 121 individuals of 11 species. The tally was led by Holly Blues, which seem to have emerged in numbers - no less than 31 seen today.
HB1 230419.JPG
HB3 230419.JPG
The biggest (and most welcome) surprise was encountering no fewer than 13 Small Tortoiseshells in the "Heathrow Conservation Area". All were showing signs of wear, and must have dispersed from elsewhere as I've seen at most two in this area this year.
ST1 230419.JPG
ST2 230419.JPG
ST5 230419.JPG
ST6 230419.JPG
Orange Tips (21) and Peacocks (20) were also everywhere.
Peacock1 230419.JPG
Peacock2 230419.JPG
There were a few female Orange Tips today, including one that was regularly pestered by males.
OT1 230419.JPG
OT2 230419.JPG
OTx2 2 230419.JPG
OTx2 1 230419.JPG
OTx2 3 230419.JPG
A sample of the 25 various White butterflies seen seemed to indicate a 3:2 ratio in favour of GVW over Small; one Large White was also definitely identified.
GVW1 230419.JPG
GVW2 230419.JPG
SW1 230419.JPG
Only five Brimstones were counted (the lack of really bright sunshine may have been the issue)
Brimstone1 230419.JPG
plus only two Commas.
Comma1 230419.JPG
Last in the list were a couple of Speckled Woods, and a bright new-looking Red Admiral, which settled for half a second before dashing off.

Always good to be home! :)

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”