Stop the M4 motorway project over Gwent Levels

Discussion forum for conservation of butterflies.
Sylvie_h

Stop the M4 motorway project over Gwent Levels

Post by Sylvie_h »

I have just signed up the petition against the M4 motorway Project over the Gwent levels which will destroy exceptional and unique habitat. The Welsh Govt is about to make a decision and it is in favour of it, it is time to stop this very onerous and useless project which will save around 7 minutes of time from Newport to Cardiff and destroy about 5 nature reserves.
Here is the link.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... roposed-m4

Thank you all,
Sylvie
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Stop the M4 motorway project over Gwent Levels

Post by Wurzel »

Thanks for sharing, just signed.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for posting this, Sylvie. I recall Bill Jones (aka Willow - RIP) commenting several times that this would be his worst nightmare if it came to pass and it looks as though those fears may be soon confirmed.

Obviously, I have added my name to the petition and checked the box to request further information.
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Thank you for signing up.
A 6 lane motorway will also bring new housing development and commercial centers. Anything will be justified for new development once the motorway is build just for the sake of the economy.....

There is more information on this link : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sou ... s-39413106
Thank you all.
Sylvie
David M

Post by David M »

Sylvie_h wrote:Thank you for signing up.
A 6 lane motorway will also bring new housing development and commercial centers. Anything will be justified for new development once the motorway is build just for the sake of the economy.....

There is more information on this link : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sou ... s-39413106
Thank you all.
Sylvie

Yes, as sure as night follows day, commercial units and housing estates will be follow once the road has been completed.

This issue has been dragging on for years and sadly it looks as though many people's fears are about to be realised.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

I have signed it, but I do wonder when all of this sort of thing will come to an end. I fear it won't be until we have completely screwed up the planet and there will be no going back. Sadly, all that appears to motivate most politicians is the economy. I know we all want jobs and nice pensions, but we can't continue this sort of development in an attempt to prop up the economy. It is short-term thinking and sadly most politicians only care about one or two terms of office and then they can disappear and blame the next lot.
As has been said, once the road network has been improved it will open the way for further development. If it isn't roads and houses, it is golf courses!
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Thanks Nick, I totally agree.

The Gwent levels has a vast range of invertebrates and aquatic plants, some of which are very rare and protected. The problem in this country is that although some species are protected, their habitat is not. I have read many times in the British Wildlife magazine that those protected species and plants (including mushrooms) are removed and replaced somewhere else so its original habitat can be destroyed for development. I find this ludicrous: replacing species or plants very often end up a total failure.... it is all non-sense!
Sylvie
David M

Post by David M »

For once, a happy ending: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48512697

Maybe this is the 'end of the beginning'?
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Thanks David. I heard the news a few days ago. It is fantastic news and hope this wonderful decision will not be overturned again in the future !
Sylvie
David M

Post by David M »

Sylvie_h wrote:Thanks David. I heard the news a few days ago. It is fantastic news and hope this wonderful decision will not be overturned again in the future..
Yes. Let's hope so, Sylvie. It's not often these plans get thrown out given the amount of money spent at the planning stage so fingers crossed the issue doesn't raise its head again.

Return to “Conservation”