millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: millerd

Post by David M »

Encouraging stuff, Dave. Things certainly seem to have taken off round your way, and one hopes this brief cold snap will be but a pause. We look to have more mild weather on the way once we get beyond this low pressure system.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Trevor - strange that your sheltered southern location should be bereft of Orange Tips. I imagine they will appear during the next urst of warmth. :)

Thanks, Wurzel. So far this year, the Orange Tips I've seen have been relatively sluggish and willing to settle, so there have been some decent poses. You have to make the most of them while they are around. When you think about it, numbers have been unusually high this year - 50 seen round here in February (six different species) and another 200 in March (ten species), with as many as 60 on a single day. Quite something. :)

I hope this cold snap is exactly that, David - it was a nasty shock to have to scrape ice off the car this morning and it still be only 4 degrees at ten o'clock.

However, it remained mostly sunny and calm round here, despite the chill, and the big storm clouds avoided the area though you could see curtains of precipitation cascading from them in the near distance. Around three I had a brisk walk around the usual route, and was surprised to see a Small White gamely fluttering along one of the paths. It settled briefly to warm up, its wings angled in the classic position to maximise reflection of the sun's heat onto its body.
SW1 030419.JPG
A typically pale spring brood male.

Dave
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

That is an enviable local patch you have Dave! Brilliant stuff. :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I don't know what the weather forecast is like over in the East Dave but in the West it looks like the cooler, wetter weather is here for a while - just in time for the two week Easter break :roll: :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

You did well to see anything given how foul the weather’s been, Dave. Let’s hope we don’t get stuck in another stormy pattern like we did in March.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Glad somebody is seeing Butterflies, :D Goldie :roll: :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Andrew - considering the rather unprepossessing location next to the airport, my patch does alright for itself! :)

The forecast is not very encouraging, Wurzel - too much cloud really, even when it's reasonably warm. It doesn't look exactly stormy, David, just dull. :(

Butterflies are certainly hard to come by over the last few days, Goldie, but I managed to conjure one today.

Friday 5th April: a bit warmer at least, but what little sun appeared was shining through a thick veil of high cloud so there was little warmth from it. I did my usual circuit, and noticed that neither the garlic mustard nor the cow parsley were flowering yet, these being the traditional roosting spots round here for Orange Tips grounded by adverse weather or the onset of evening. However, one solitary cuckoo flower plant was blooming next to the river (there is very little of this anywhere round here), and sat tightly on the top and wobbling around in the breeze was a male Orange Tip.
OT4 050419.JPG
OT6 050419.JPG
OT6cu 050419.JPG
OT8 050419.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You had more luck that I did yesterday than I did today Dave - the weather lied and said it was going to be sunny intervals all afternoon right up until the minute before I was walking out the door when it flipped to 'dark cloud cover' :roll: :x A single view of a Specklie was all I had to show for my troubles, nowhere near the reward you got with your superb OT :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

It's not always a bad thing to have inclement weather, as your images demonstrate, Dave.

At least you know they're not suddenly going to shoot off as you're about to click the shutter!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, chaps. The weather here has remained resolutely cloudy and cool since the last post, so no more butterflies.

However, on Sunday 7th, I checked up on the Orange Tip: it was still hanging on to that flower head, though it had moved a bit as some of the flowers had dropped off and new buds were opening.
OT1 070419.JPG
I managed a close-up shot or two.
OTcu2 070419.JPG
On Monday 8th, it actually brightened a bit mid-afternoon, and just as I stopped to look again at the Orange Tip, it started to shuffle around a bit, and then tentatively opened its wings. However, its chosen spot was actually rather shaded at this time of day, and despite more sunshine and a bit of warmth, the butterfly decided enough was enough and went back to sleep. Full morning sun will no doubt re-energise it, and if we get a morning like that, it will be up and away.
OT2 080419.JPG
OT5 080419.JPG
OT7 080419.JPG
OT9 080419.JPG
Hoping for some more sunshine: one butterfly, however photogenic, is not quite enough... :)

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking stuff Dave :D I've not had the pleasure of a roosting OT this year so my shots have all been a bit smash and grab when one finally sits still for more than 5 seconds :roll: Mind you I wouldn't have it any other way really - what would Spring be without chasing OTs 8) :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Dave, :mrgreen: I keep looking but nothing yet :roll: Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

You made hay while the sun didn't shine with that one, didn't you, Dave? :)
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, everyone -yes, I certainly made the most of that one butterfly! Orange Tips are hard to resist though, in the all too brief time of year when they are around.

Wednesday 10th April. Brilliant sunshine at last, but a very chilly morning. I decided to see if I could find any more early Dukes down at Noar Hill after Pauline's precocious sighting on 1st. There was some cloud down here to start with, but it soon disappeared, and things warmed up a bit. In nearly three hours I saw no Dukes, but there were (in order of appearance) Peacocks, Brimstones and Orange Tips, all in decent numbers. However, as I should come to anticipate really, there was an unexpected bonus. Somehow my eye was drawn to a spot of green down on the grass that was perhaps too apple-green amongst the darker shades of the vegetation. There, sitting angled to catch the most sunshine, was a fresh Green Hairstreak. Though common enough at this site, it was what seems to be an early date for them, and certainly unusual for me to find one here before seeing any Dukes.
GH1 100418.JPG
GH2 100419.JPG
A remarkably easy drive home saw me out on my local patch just over an hour later. I soon came across my first of three Holly Blues, initially seeking minerals on the path, but then finding these or honeydew on the leaves above.
HB1 100419.JPG
HB2 100419.JPG
HB3 100419.JPG
HB5 100419.JPG
There were six or seven Peacocks in all the usual spots, and one almost unblemished individual was nectaring on the brilliant yellow carpet of dandelions that has sprung up.
Peacock2 100419.JPG
I found a Comma that I recognised by the symmetrical chomp marks cut out of its hindwings - a lucky escape from a bird encounter I imagine.
Comma1 100419.JPG
Several Small Whites were flying, but generally above head height and not pausing for a moment. Finally, there were at least half a dozen Orange Tips - these were less energetic, and because of the generally lowish temperature I suspect, stopped to bask and/or nectar fairly regularly.
OT2 100419.JPG
OT4 100419.JPG
OT1 100419.JPG
Spring resumes - though it could be a bit warmer! :)

Dave
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great selection Dave, lovely Orange-tips, I like that close up. :D Well done finding the Greenstreak. :D

Cheers
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Dave, blinding Greenstreak :mrgreen: :D Things are starting to get going now - so the weather will probably deteriorate again :roll: :? Mind you if it doesn't at this rate we could be into Pearls by the end of next week, fingers crossed :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

I see the Holly Blues are back to their usual standard, Dave. :)

Nice Green Hairstreaks too. Always a sign that we're well into spring.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You certainly managed to get that Hairstreaks good side, that's for sure :). That orange-tip looks to ahve very prominently dark wing tips!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

I liked the close-up shot too, Andrew. These days as long-sightedness gets gradually worse, it's the only way I get to see that kind of detail! :) The patterning is exquisite.

Cheers, Wurzel - the Green One was a surprise, but hopefully there will soon be more in various places. Like the Orange Tips a real Spring-feeling butterfly. :)

There are not very many Hollies this year so far, David, but they are starting to perform a wee bit. :wink:

Yes, Buggy - the other side of the GH was a bit distorted, probably during its emergence, but it looked pristine from the good side. :) And you're right about the OT - the black seems to be very prominent.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thursday 11th April: a day very much like yesterday - strong sunshine, but a lowish air temperature. I spent the day locally, and managed a respectable total of 44 butterflies of ten species, including a new one for the year: a Large White. A brilliant new white male, it unfortunately was constantly on the move, especially when hassled by its smaller cousins (as happened several times). Both Small and Green-veined Whites were around, but difficult to approach closely.
Small White male
Small White male
GVW male - quite a long way up
GVW male - quite a long way up
Orange Tips were the most frequent species seen, though not a female amongst them.
OT2 110419.JPG
I found one completely engrossed with a periwinkle flower.
OT1 110419.JPG
Nearly as common were the Peacocks - there are far more around than I saw last summer. They must hibernate so quickly - no wonder they are often in such good condition in spring.
Peacock1 110419.JPG
A Comma, a few Holly Blues
HB1 110419.JPG
a handful of Brimstones and a couple of Speckled Woods seemed to complete the set, until along a particular stretch of the riverside path where I often see them in the late afternoon at all times of the year I came across a battle-scarred Red Admiral, another victim of a bird-strike but no less aerobatic for that.
RA2 110419.JPG
The species total here is up to 11 now: very respectable, but it'll probably be a little while before I add to it.

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”