Chris Jackson in Marseilles

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Chris Jackson in Marseilles

Post by David M »

Chris Jackson wrote:However, the answer is a give-away in the host plant.
Yes, Twin Spot Fritillary, Chris, an insect I'd very much like to see in France (I broke my duck with it in Spain last July). :)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Chris - only another 25 years (by current reckoning though I'm sure it'll increase) to go :shock:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Sorry Chris, just caught up with your posts. You over estimated my skills with continental species :lol: , wouldn't have got close to that species without doing a lot of reading up on foodplants and lifecycles and even then it would be a blind stab. Give me another ten years of visiting Europe and I might have an idea next time :lol:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

If you have found hecate in your backyard, Chris, that is quite a find. The PACA Atlas shows no sighting in that region and only a limited number of sightings in western Var - I have seen it there near Montmeyan. But its main stronghold is in the east of Var and over the border in the west of the Alpes-Maritimes where, if you find Filipendula, you tend to find hecate.

My one local 100% reliable site was grazed to possible extinction a couple of years ago by sheep. We found one or two there last year, but it may or may not be able it to survive.

Roger
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

bugboy wrote: ... You over estimated my skills with continental species :lol: .....
Hi Bugboy, I've got you down as an all-rounder but I suppose this species is a bit specific. Hey we're all learning.
Thanks for looking in :D .
A reminder of the subject --> Brenthis hecate caterpillar, 8 mm long
hecate8 caterpillar 8 mm long Hostellerie Ste Baume 24Mar19 (2).JPG
Chris
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Roger Gibbons wrote:If you have found hecate in your backyard, Chris, that is quite a find. The PACA Atlas shows no sighting in that region and only a limited number of sightings in western Var .....
Hi Roger,
'Backyard' is 40 kms from Marseilles.
This very small colony is a short walk from where we had lunch together last summer at the Sainte Baume in the west Var.
I tend not to advertise it too much, if at all.
The Twin-spot Fritillary should be flying from the end of May. I must explore its flight period and see if it flies earlier.
I estimate the site to cover a radius of 50 metres, no more.
A reminder of the stark early spring Provençal nature that hides so much, unless you know where to find it (at your feet):
(View looking south over the Sainte Baume):
x Hostellerie Ste Baume 24Mar19 (5).JPG
Filipendula vulgaris in the leaf litter:
x Hostellerie Ste Baume 24Mar19 (4).JPG
Host plant of the Twin-spot Fritillary:
x Hostellerie Ste Baume 24Mar19 (3).JPG
Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Chris Jackson wrote:
bugboy wrote: ... You over estimated my skills with continental species :lol: .....
Hi Bugboy, I've got you down as an all-rounder but I suppose this species is a bit specific. Hey we're all learning.
Thanks for looking in :D .
A reminder of the subject --> Brenthis hecate caterpillar, 8 mm long
hecate8 caterpillar 8 mm long Hostellerie Ste Baume 24Mar19 (2).JPG
Chris
Sorry to disappoint :lol:. I've just returned from my first foray into the world of continental butterflies so your expert eye may come in handy with my next few posts :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Nice to see the habitat shots, Chris. Is this '50m strip' the only place you know for hecate?
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

David M wrote:Nice to see the habitat shots, Chris. Is this '50m strip' the only place you know for hecate?
This is the only site I know of David for B. hecate. The regional sightings website never shows anything closer to Marseilles. I will return in a couple of weeks to see if I can find a later instar of the cat.
Cheers, Chris
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Folks,

We are now 9 days into the Southern Festoon season at the site near my workplace.
It is not surprising therefore that some individuals are starting to look worn. See the wings on this one:
1.JPG
Over a week ago the host plant was barely visible.
Now it is quite a bit easier to find - Aristolochia rotunda:
2.JPG
it can be found in the long grasses of the verge along this path:
3.JPG
And on the underside of one of the leaves, here are the eggs:
4.JPG
Another individual:
5.JPG
And another:
6.JPG
This is the marshy context of this site, here:
7.JPG
and here:
8.JPG
Cheers,
Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting that they seem so go 'greasy' like the Marsh Frit Chris, mind you I'd still love to see one in any state :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Chris Jackson wrote:This is the only site I know of David for B. hecate. The regional sightings website never shows anything closer to Marseilles. I will return in a couple of weeks to see if I can find a later instar of the cat.
Thanks, Chris. Is this species 'marginal' due to available habitat in your wider region?

Best of luck with the larvae. I'll look forward to seeing images of those.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

End of March, south of France,
A quick update with my latest sighting
Here is the context in the Var département at 650 metres altitude (Roger G knows this place :wink: )
1 (1).JPG
1 (2).JPG
For the moment I am considering this to be a vagrant, unless a new colony is forming in this place.
What do you think this could be ? I have a good idea !!
1 (3).JPG
1 (4).JPG
Chris
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Is that a Spring Ringlet - Erebia epistygne Chris? :? If it is then it just proves how good the Butterflies of Europe app is :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous butterfly, Chris, and you've done real well to track it down.

This is one of those 'out of season' species that require a great effort to see for we UK dwellers.

Like Provence Hairstreak in 2015 though, I intend to make precisely that effort in the not too distant future!
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

David M wrote: ... Is this species 'marginal' due to available habitat in your wider region? ...
Hi David,
I can find Filipendula vulgaris in many places, however B. hecate is not present.
I don't know why this small colony is so localised. One suspicion is that in this calcarious location there are many underground cavities and waterways, and it is possible that some spots are damper than others - a dampness that may be obvious to butterflies but not to blinkered humans ?
Chris
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Wurzel wrote:Is that a Spring Ringlet - Erebia epistygne Chris? :? If it is then it just proves how good the Butterflies of Europe app is :D
... Wurzel
You are right Wurzel !! Spring Ringlet.
Although I have encountered this species a couple of times, its sudden unexpected appearance on the path in front of me was a heart-stopper, and it made my day.
My only sure colony is a few kilometers away and 400 metres higher.
Chris
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

David M wrote: ... This is one of those 'out of season' species that require a great effort to see for we UK dwellers ... I intend to make precisely that effort in the not too distant future!
David,
End of March to end of April is a critical time for those early species down here. Once its over, its over.
The bad news is that we have a week of bad weather starting tomorrow - this always seems to occur just when I intend getting Provence Orange Tip photos, and we have a Provence Hairstreak search on this weekend, so that might get rained off.
Cheers,
Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Yesterday, the last Sunday of March, I had my 2nd only ever photo encounter with a Camberwell Beauty in the west Var at 490 metres altitude.
Often these fly past overhead, patrolling their territory, without a photo opportunity.
However we noticed this one, by the side of a dried up river bed, that tended to stop and pause briefly on a bare patch of ground.
We were patient and eventually, during one of its rounds, it did pose for us.
antiopa2 Mazaugues_83 31Mar19 (9).JPG
This is the context - by the side of this dry river bed. No doubt its host tree is in here somewhere:
context antiopa2 Mazaugues_83 31Mar19.JPG
Chris
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I was chuffed that I got that ID right :D Great shot of the Camberwell I've got a single shot in my collection of a very distant, white edged triangle :? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've seen that 'pose' from Small torts and Peacocks before and it always reminds me of the Batman logo for some reason :? 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”