millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: millerd

Post by David M »

You've certainly clocked up some miles in your 2018 quest, Dave. I concur with your view regarding the guy with a net; sometimes they are there for legitimate reasons as I found myself a couple of years ago at Prees Heath, where the individual concerned was doing a survey on the bee population.

Love the Chalkhills. They had a wonderful flight period in the UK last year (although I never got chance to go and see them). The White Letter Hairstreaks are always a joy too, especially when you find them low down and posing. :)
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote:...it was certainly a busy time of the year this year what with a distinct June Gap missing from the calendar...
I have seen this said a few times now but I think it really depended on what part of the country you were in, there was a definite gap in early June for me. Yes, there were a lot of species appearing on top of each other around this time but a lot were down south and from here in the midlands I would have had to put in an awful lot of miles and time to see some of them.

Having said that, it certainly looks like you made the best use of trips that you were going to make anyway to see family and friends and managed to see a cracking selection of species, many of which I completely missed last year. Still, more to look forward to this coming year :)

Regarding the Large Heaths you saw, were those the polydama form? I must admit that I have never found Large Heaths to be particularly nervous in themselves but the habitat can make it difficult to follow them, particularly the mosses where davus is usually found and where it can be dangerous to go off the boardwalks. The scotica that I saw in Scotland a couple of years ago where much easier being in habitat that was much firmer underfoot.

Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I have got rather behind with my look back at 2018, so much so that 2019 has kicked off well before I have finished. :) To be rectified soon...

I think the Large Heaths at Fen Bog are the intermediate polydamus form, Neil, but I'm sure Callum can say for certain.

So, I do now need to interrupt the review of 2018 to register my first 2019 butterflies. Having been out locally at some point on every sunny day over the last ten days and seen nothing at all, today I counted over ten Brimstones. All the more interesting as I had only seen one new emergee round here during the whole of last summer. They must have taken one look at the hot weather and hidden away almost immediately. Encouraging numbers, but possibly worrying that there were no Peacocks or Commas out there with them.

Getting shots of any of these butterflies was pretty well impossible as constant sunshine kept them 99% airborne, but here are three yellow blurs on the move.
Brimstone2 230219.jpg
Brimstone1 230219.jpg
Brimstone3 230219.jpg
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those shots look very similar to the ones I've gotten of Brimstones today Dave - they are a right pain at this time of the year. They tease as well - fluttering as if they're about to land and then nipping off again just as you complete the approach :roll: :x

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

I shall keep plugging away, Wurzel, though ironically days with a bit of cloud to ground them occasionally are more productive. When you think about it, you get better photos in the summer when they are not only more prone to settle and nectar, but are beautifully new as well! :)

Back to JULY 2018 now, though:

11th July saw another trip up to Aston Rowant, and though early Silver-spotted Skippers did not appear, no fewer than 23 other species did. This included a surprise Purple Emperor flying around the treetops at the car park on the north side of the reserve. Other highlights of yet another brilliant day were brand new Chalkhills including one so fresh the meconium from its sojourn as a pupa could be seen below it.
ChB6 110718.JPG
ChB8 110718.JPG
There were also new Small Coppers, dark and dusky - a trait I saw commonly this year as I believe it is a characteristic of hot summers.
SC7 110718.JPG
However, it was back at the car park that as well as the Emperor I found numerous Purple Hairstreaks, not something I've noticed here before...
PH2 110718.JPG
...and a Painted Lady, seeking out the scrubbiest thistles and laying a selection of bright turquoise eggs.
PL1 110718.JPG
PL egg2 110718.JPG
On 12th July (which happened to be my birthday) I met up with Bugboy again down at Bookham Commons, and we were treated to a great selection of Silver-washed Fritillaries, with females in particular posing beautifully.
SWF11 120817.JPG
SWF13 120718.JPG
SWF19 120718.JPG
White Admirals played second fiddle, appearing somewhat worn now.
WA1 120718.JPG
The many Purple Hairstreaks were also showing signs of wear, but there were a sprinkling of new Holly Blues.
HB1 120718.JPG
From Bookham, we then went the few miles south to Denbies. Amongst the Chalkhills here was a great example of ab. suavis, with small marginal orange spots, something that appears regularly here.
ChB6 120718.JPG
We noticed that many of the Brown Argus and Common Blues now flying were really very small, especially compared to the Chalkhills which all appeared to be their normal size. It would seem that horseshoe vetch is far more resistent to drought than the foodplants of the other two, providing normal levels of sustenance for the growing Chalkhill larvae.
CB1 120718.JPG
BA1 120718.JPG
There were a few DGF females around, and Bugboy followed one into the grass and successfully located the egg she had laid.
DGF egg 120718.JPG
The next three days were notable for once again being very hot. I stayed close to home and spent more time counting butterflies rather than trying to photograph them. 18 species were seen overall, with a peak count of 288 butterflies on 14th. This included 25+ each of Common Blue, Holly Blue and Brown Argus - an excellent showing of each, particularly the latter which has steadily increased in numbers here over the last few years. A selection:
CB2 130718.JPG
GVW2 130718.JPG
LW1 130718.JPG
Peacock2 130718.JPG
With a slightly cooler day in prospect I went down to Chiddingfold on 16th July. Second brood Wood Whites were on the wing...
WW5 160718.JPG
WW15 160718.JPG
WW16 160718.JPG
...along with numbers of new Brimstones (the same individuals will be flying down there again as I type this I suspect :) )...
Brimstones 160718.JPG
...and more SWF. I was very chuffed to encounter my first ever SWF valesina female - though she refused to open her wings other than briefly despite being mostly in the shade, I did get a few shots of the very green underside.
SWFv1 160718.JPG
SWFv2 160718.JPG
It was cooler again on 17th, and I met up with an old friend for a non-butterfly walk on Dunstable Downs. However, we had a very close encounter with an unusually lethargic female DGF which may have kicked into life a hitherto dormant interest in butterflies... :)
DGF2 170718.JPG
DGF4 170718.JPG
The remainder of July, especially another notable visit to Chiddingfold, deserves a separate post.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

All this time-travel is getting confusing! Back to the present day, and another wander round my local patch, a bit later in the day. There were more Brimstones to start with, but by the end of the walk they had all disappeared - they do retire early for the night. However, today they had been joined by Small Tortoiseshells (at least three) and Commas (also probably three seen).
ST2 240219.jpg
ST4 240219.jpg
Comma1 240219.jpg
However, the surprise sighting was of a Hummingbird Hawk Moth, not something I see with any frequency here at any time of year, but most unusual for February.
HBHM3 240219.jpg
HBHM4 240219.jpg
Dave
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

A Hummingbird Hawkmoth ?!?

Fantastic for Feb.

Its a bit crazy out there at the moment.
Ernie F
millerd

Post by millerd »

A bit of research tells me that Hummingbird Hawk Moths do manage to overwinter in the UK occasionally, which means that this one could possibly have done so along with our hibernating butterflies.

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

A very nice haul there, Dave. You are right about Brimstones retiring early,
after about 2.30pm no sign of them.
The Hummingbird Hawk-Moth must be the prize of the day.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Ernie and Trevor - I've learned over the years to always expect the unexpected, but when I first saw the Hummer, it took a while to work out what it was! Luckily its desire for nectar kept it around the dead-nettles for a while, so I managed a few shots, most of which were rubbish because of the rapid wing movement. Still, one of those memorable moments.

The weather today (25th) was a repeat of previous days, though it started colder (a sparkling ground frost and an air temperature of +1 degree at 0800) and ended up warmer (up at around 19 degrees or so by 1500). I went out around 1100, and the Small Tortoiseshells were already out and about - I saw three, only one of which was one of the three seen yesterday.
ST1 250219.jpg
ST2 250219.jpg
ST3 250219.jpg
The Brimstones on the other hand took a while to appear, but I'd seen three by one o'clock.
Brimstone1 250219.jpg
I saw no Commas today - they are late risers - and I am yet to see a Peacock or Red Admiral. However, I spotted a feeble white fluttering which I initially thought might be a female Brimstone, but was in fact a newly-emerged Small White. It was unsteady to start with, but after a bit of basking in the classic white butterfly position with wings angled to maximise reflection of the sun's heat onto the flight muscles in the thorax, it started to fly more strongly and investigate other white and shiny objects. Luckily it decided to pause on a bramble leaf at a convenient height, and opened up a bit further as it warmed up.
SW1 250219.jpg
My earliest ever Small White, but in the context of this extraordinary February, not that surprising. Orange Tip by the end of the month, anyone? :)

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

I bet you've been caught unprepared, Dave, what with all this early activity getting in the way of your 2018 review!

Nice to see some of the beauties that will follow later in the year, but for the moment there can't be any doubt that your male Small White is of greatest significance. That's quite some sighting! (although the Hummingbird Hawk Moth is highly notable too).
Last edited by David M on Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Nice find with the Hummingbird Hawk ,I saw one in early Feb ; about ten years ago ,and one(at least ) was seen at Dungeness sometime last week ,we,ve also had some early Swallow sightings, with three in residence at Littlestone ,for about a week now .
Regards Allan.W.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I'll do my best to find you an OT before this weather breaks down, although I do feel a bit sorry for any of these non adult hibernators emerging so early. The chances of them doing what they supposed to do to continue their species are rather slim :?
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking couple of days for you Dave - a really early Small White there! :shock: :D :mrgreen: I'm pretty envious that you'll be able to take full advantage of the next few days of great weather to the full Dave :mrgreen: If things do keep on like this then we could be on for an early OT :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers everyone - some extraordinary stuff already this season and we've hardly started.

Tuesday 26th and unbelievably an even warmer day with 21 degrees recorded around London, with wall-to-wall sunshine. I had two trips out locally today to make the most of the weather, and notched up two more species: Peacock and Red Admiral. Across the whole area covered, the day's totals were:

Brimstone 8 to 10
Brimstone1 260219.jpg
Comma 5
Comma1 260219.jpg
Comma3 260219.jpg
Peacock 2
Peacock2 260219.jpg
Red Admiral 2

Small Tortoiseshell 1
ST3 260219.jpg
No Small Whites today. However, the main point of interest was seeing one of the Red Admirals laying an egg on some low-lying sheltered scrubby nettles.
RA1 260219.jpg
RA egg2 260219.jpg
Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Just catching up on your recent forays Dave, must admit I am a little jealous of you being able to get out and make the most of this warm spell :mrgreen: :D

I have seen reports in the past of Hummingbird Hawks Moths successfully overwintering in the UK but I would be inclined to think that yours is a migrant going by the other reports I have seen over the past few days which have included more HBHMs along with Painted Ladies plus a selection of migrant moths coming to light traps at night.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to see that Red Admiral laying eggs - that's a good insurance policy for when the weather turns back to the usual February fare - just in time for the weekend :roll: :? Great set of shots and you nailed the Brimstone :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

I don't blame you for getting out twice, Dave. It's impossible to reconcile oneself with the fact that it's still February, isn't it?

Great to see all the species in your post, but the laying Admiral is particularly welcome.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Dave, March on Friday and you've already got 5 species in February :D Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

Many thanks for all the comments, everybody. It's been a great few days and very nice to see Red Admiral laying. I assume she's been keeping those eggs on ice, so to speak, since the autumn. I think it's up to six species, Goldie, quite astonishing before spring officially starts.

A change of venue today (27th), with a trip down to North Stoke, a sheltered spot nestling under the South Downs in Sussex. I met up with Bugboy who was hoping to repeat his success here in a previous season with a most elusive species, but sadly, despite our best endeavours in bright warm sunshine there was not a glimpse of anything unusual. Brimstones appeared not long before midday, and perhaps a dozen were seen before they disappeared again before two o'clock. Aside from that, half a dozen or so Commas and slightly fewer Peacocks were all that we saw flying.
Brimstone1 270219.jpg
Comma1 270219.jpg
Comma3 270219.jpg
Back to normal weather tomorrow, though hopefully nothing drastically cold.

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”