Small Heath - Favourite Photo of 2018

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 16

Even though it's cold outside and even though it's dark stupidly early it still feels like spring is starting - Daff, Snowdrops, Aconites are all blooming :D Not long to go now!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Re: Small Heath - Favourite Photo of 2018

Post by David M »

Only took one image in 2018, which is foolhardy given how much scarcer this species is becoming.

We still get decent numbers on the Swansea coastline and this one was taken at Crymlyn Burrows on 18 May:
1SmHeath(1).jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

It's quite easy to take this declining species for granted given they are generally on the wing in the same habitat and at the same time of year as the more gaudy Lycids, but I took quite an interest in them this year, in particular the shear variety in ground colour and patterning on the underside. So much so you'd be forgiven for thinking they didn't belong to the same species if you didn't know any better! Oh and I got a little bit imaginative in how to display the variety :)
Small Heath 2018 1.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
John W

Post by John W »

Here's one I spotted in Abbots Wood, East Sussex while looking for Pearl-bordered Fritillary in May:
small-heath - 1.jpg
Abbots Wood, May 20 2018, 2.23pm

Cheers
John W
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Mine only earned its place here because it's the only Small Heath photo that I took in 2018!

Nevertheless, I think it's an attractive species, even though it's usually seen when trying to find something else. I find it intriguing to see how this one has managed to find footholds on the various dry grass stems that are surrounding it.
Aston Rowant NNR - 25th August 2018<br />Olympus E-M1-ii with 100-400mm lens - 1/200s@f/9 ISO 640
Aston Rowant NNR - 25th August 2018
Olympus E-M1-ii with 100-400mm lens - 1/200s@f/9 ISO 640
Mike
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw my Small Heath firstly in Southport Dunes on the10th June and in Seasalter Kent on the 18th July, I like the second shot because the Butterfly seemed a rich colour.
In SP Dunes they seem to be every where I didn't see any decline in numbers there. Goldie :D
Attachments
Small Heath 10th June
Small Heath 10th June
Small Heath Seasalter
Small Heath Seasalter
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote:It's quite easy to take this declining species for granted given they are generally on the wing in the same habitat and at the same time of year as the more gaudy Lycids, but I took quite an interest in them this year....
:(

Agree entirely, BB. I think we should all pay more attention to this species before it goes 'Wall Brown' on us!
millerd

Post by millerd »

I find myself with quite a few images of this much-overlooked little butterfly, mostly from my local patch, but one has to stand out as a favourite:
SH1 240618.JPG
Dave
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

millerd wrote:I find myself with quite a few images of this much-overlooked little butterfly, mostly from my local patch, but one has to stand out as a favourite
Yes, it certainly stands out :) With modern cameras, we've become almost blasé about open wing shots of butterflies such as the Brimstone, but the topside of a Small Heath remains very unfamiliar. I had to pause for thought, when I first saw yours! Congratulations.

Mike
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Nice shot millerd, not many have got one like that I should think.

Here are a couple from the south of France in August and September.
The markings are more interesting in this later brood.
pamphilus30 La Taurelle 05Aug18 (1).JPG
pamphilus31 La Taurelle 22Sep18 (2).JPG
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:I find myself with quite a few images of this much-overlooked little butterfly, mostly from my local patch, but one has to stand out as a favourite.
Quite rightly, Dave. An outstanding capture.

I have, occasionally, seen Small Heaths briefly flick their wings open but your image has recorded the upperside better than any other I've seen.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

While we are on the subject of topside C. pamphilus photos, I'll just pop this one in from the south of France:
pamphilus21_83 Hostellerie Sainte Baume 20Aug16.JPG
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

Chris Jackson wrote:While we are on the subject of topside C. pamphilus photos, I'll just pop this one in from the south of France...
That's the fleeting view I'm familiar with, Chris, but have never been quick enough to capture!

Well done.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small Heath

Like so many of my faves this year my Favourite Small Heath came from Laverstock. However I didn’t choose this one because of its pristine attire; quite the opposite in fact. The individual I chose was missing most of their hindwing which gave me a glimpse of the underside fore wing which is normally hidden away. True it’s a continuation of the background colour of the rest of the wing and there aren’t any spots, stripes or metallic strips but it’s still nice to see an aspect of a butterfly that you’ve not seen before. Also getting on a bit myself it’s nice to favour the more aged individual.
DSC_0194 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

I've never observed Small Heaths so closely as I did on 30th June, on a visit to Fen Bog in the North York Moors in search of their Large cousins! Up until the moment when I spotted an actual Large Heath, every single Small looked 'a little bit different'...
IMG_0032.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Although numbers seem to be dropping year on year in Warwickshire, I am still finding them at most of my local spots and they often turn up in random areas of long grass away from the usual 'sites'
Small Heath - Castle Hills 23.06.2018
Small Heath - Castle Hills 23.06.2018
Small Heath Castle Hills 04.08.2018
Small Heath Castle Hills 04.08.2018
Small Heath - Sheldon Country Park 06.08.2018
Small Heath - Sheldon Country Park 06.08.2018
Down in Dorset in early September they were often the most common butterfly seen,
Small Heath - Ballard Down 06.09.2018
Small Heath - Ballard Down 06.09.2018
Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Small Heath”